Give Blood/Marrow Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissSmile)
If a girl is 5ft4 and 9 stone she's classed as underweight, so I think it'd be fair to say someone 5ft6 and under 8stone is pretty drastically underweight!
And I would hardly say anyone here's encouraging obesity. I'm not tryin to cause a debate or anything, just ensure that some girl looking at this doesn't think 's**t im 5ft 6 and no where near 8 stone..right better loose weight etc' just tryin to be nice

x o x
i take your point graciously - please refrain from calling me a typical 'lad' though i am far from that
DazYa
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
What relevance does this have to giving blood and bone marrow?
lol pwned by Helenia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If a girl is 5ft4 and 9 stone she's classed as underweight, so I think it'd be fair to say someone 5ft6 and under 8stone is pretty drastically underweight!
And I would hardly say anyone here's encouraging obesity. I'm not tryin to cause a debate or anything, just ensure that some girl looking at this doesn't think 's**t im 5ft 6 and no where near 8 stone..right better loose weight etc' just tryin to be nice

x o x
Hmm are you sure? 5'4 and 9 stone is "normal weight" on the chart I have.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 14 years ago

x o x

you're too paranoid about the whole appearance thing, at the end of the day you're a desperate girl who couldn't get laid wortha damn
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Hmm are you sure? 5'4 and 9 stone is "normal weight" on the chart I have.
yeh sorry that is 'normal weight',
neway this wasn't meant to turn into a debate on weight related issues.

cheers

x o x
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DazYa13)
lol pwned by Helenia
You what?
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I gave blood today!
Wooo!!
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
I gave blood today!
Wooo!!
Wooooooo!!!!!!

I'm still too young to give blood, but when I'm old enough I'm gonna.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I gave blood today!
Wooo!!
Well done, rather you than me though.
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Well done, rather you than me though.
Phobia of needles?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Phobia of needles?
I've had my fair share in my time and i'm not fond of them at all. Someone in my year gave blood for the first time and ended up with a huge bruise; i think it was her last time as well.
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I've had my fair share in my time and i'm not fond of them at all. Someone in my year gave blood for the first time and ended up with a huge bruise; i think it was her last time as well.
Fair enough, but at the same time.....
avoiding getting a huge bruise vs. saving a life.....?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Fair enough, but at the same time.....
avoiding getting a huge bruise vs. saving a life.....?
It's her view not mine. In Israel people that are healthy have to give blood. There is more than one way to saving a life. I don't know why the clever scientis come up with an artificial substitute for blood; it can't be that complicated.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
ive heard if the shringe hits a nerve it can leave some1 paralised for life. well this is true for a caserian when a child is born as they have to inject into the spine then so im guessing its the same
No
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
It's her view not mine. In Israel people that are healthy have to give blood. There is more than one way to saving a life. I don't know why the clever scientis come up with an artificial substitute for blood; it can't be that complicated.
Of course not, it's the easiest thing in the world. Scientists just think it's a barrel of laughs spending millions trying to pick up the altruistic spirit in the population
J
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Nono, I wasn't attacking you at all, just postulating (as one does).
And yeah, it really can be that complicated.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I think I read about 'faux' RBC and plasma being in development. These things have to go thru' from development, pre-clinical safety thru to clinical trail. Takes about 10 years.....
OldMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
I think I read about 'faux' RBC and plasma being in development. These things have to go thru' from development, pre-clinical safety thru to clinical trail. Takes about 10 years.....
Some years ago I was working on an artificial 'blood' which could be used for emergency transfusions. Didn't have RBCs to carry oxygen, or any of the useful plasma factors, just a solution of cloned Human Serum Albumin to keep people alive short term.

Ran into some problems in clinical trials and I'm not sure it ever got licensed for transfusions, though it is used in other medical procedures.

We were also working on cloned haemaglobin, but when the HSA didn'y go smoothly the company funding the work dropped out :-<. I left shortly afetr.

Seems some work is continuing though
http://www.deltabiotechnology.com

The site even has a picture of my plasmid!
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Well, we can always hope....
Love the marvellously appropriate avatar!
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well if scientists can make submarines that go thousands of metres under water, aeroplanes that cruise at 650mph, atomic,nuclear,hydrogen and biological bombs, allegedly flying man to the moon i don't see why it's really so hard to make an artificial blood in comparison to the above. They just need to get their priorities right.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (156)
40.41%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.16%

Watched Threads