Give Blood/Marrow Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Yep, that's why my answer was so vague and saying it would be too hard to be worth it really. That about right?
indeed
J
Fairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why not?

The government just changed the rules because of vCJD or something as ive had blood transfusions apparently im not allowed anymore
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Fairydust)
The government just changed the rules because of vCJD or something as ive had blood transfusions apparently im not allowed anymore

The key date is 1980 (and I'm guessing you're talking after this date).
1980 is the 'date' taken to be the entry point of TSE's into the human system.

People who recieved transfusions pre 1980 can donate in the UK.

In the US, no Brits can donate. Dispite the fact that the yanks have probably had TSE's as long as we have - they just hid them!
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I just went and gave blood - it took ages, had to see the sister first cos i'm on a new inhaler, then they put the needle in my left arm and nowt came out. The nurse was like "hmmm I swear this was a vein", he thinks it was a funny bit of muscle that I have...so anyway they had to do all the forms again and then try my right arm, and it took 10 minutes to be sure they had a vein...

Oh well at least i've done my bit now for another 4 months. And i got a sticker afterwards saying "I gave blood for a custard cream"...except I got 3!!!
Nicci_babe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Well, it's coming upto a Bank Holiday. I used to work for the NBS and can tell you getting through a bank holiday is hell - especially in terms of having enough platelets....

So why not donate?

For more info on permenant sessions and mobile sessions visit:

www.blood.co.uk

Also, why not look into the marrow register as well?

Night ya all

Fluffs
xx
i was going to give blood sooon (as only just turned 17) how can i find out my blood type and how to you donate bone marrow....!??
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nicci_babe)
i was going to give blood sooon (as only just turned 17) how can i find out my blood type and how to you donate bone marrow....!??
It's unlikely you know your blood group before you donate, all blood that is taken is tested anyway, and so after you donate the first time you'll be sent a letter with your donor card which says your blood type on it.

I'm not sure about donating bone marrow though...
Nicci_babe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
It's unlikely you know your blood group before you donate, all blood that is taken is tested anyway, and so after you donate the first time you'll be sent a letter with your donor card which says your blood type on it.

I'm not sure about donating bone marrow though...
yeah i wouldnt want a donor card tho i will donate blood but i dont want to donate my organs after death i know it souds selfish but i want them to stay with me when im buried as it seems right to me that way.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah i wouldnt want a donor card tho i will donate blood but i dont want to donate my organs after death i know it souds selfish but i want them to stay with me when im buried as it seems right to me that way.
I didn't mean that kind of donor card...you get sent a little plastic credit card type thing which has a barcode on so everytime you go to give blood they can scan the barcode and it gets your details up on the screen. Its got your name and blood type on it, which is why i know my blood group, as i didn't know before.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Chicken has answered the blood type q. For Bone Marrow donation you have to be 18. Once you've got there, you can find out from the blood service - you can fill in the form there and they can take the blood sample as part of your donation. Easy!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.42%
Excited (159)
9.19%
Worried (307)
17.74%
Terrified (383)
22.13%
Meh (176)
10.17%
Confused (37)
2.14%