The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what universities in the UK are not incredibly ukcat heavy and would be worth applying to with a ukcat of 675?

Thank you!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Barts for sure, i had 650 and got an interview! Do not apply to kings though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by medicinebabe
Barts for sure, i had 650 and got an interview! Do not apply to kings though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thanks a million, anywhere else? I hear edinburgh don't even have a minimum score?
I dont know about other ukcat unis to be honest:/ i applied to those two only

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by medicinebabe
I dont know about other ukcat unis to be honest:/ i applied to those two only

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great thank you! Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
probably barts
Reply 6
Can anyone else help??
Reply 7
UEA don't have a minimum score. It is definitely worth applying there
Reply 8
Original post by chimez
UEA don't have a minimum score. It is definitely worth applying there

Thank you! That's two out of 5 haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emma_O25
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what universities in the UK are not incredibly ukcat heavy and would be worth applying to with a ukcat of 675?

Thank you!! :smile:

BSMS isn't ukcat heavy. Bristol doesn't use the ukcat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by babychocolate
BSMS isn't ukcat heavy. Bristol doesn't use the ukcat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But surely if they don't use ukcat they must use BMAT? I haven't done that exam!
Original post by Emma_O25
But surely if they don't use ukcat they must use BMAT? I haven't done that exam!

No, Bristol, Liverpool and Lancaster don't use any admissions test but you may want to double check.
Birmingham is also no ukcwt heavy but you need at least 1 A*. Also look at leeds and keele

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by babychocolate
No, Bristol, Liverpool and Lancaster don't use any admissions test but you may want to double check.
Birmingham is also no ukcwt heavy but you need at least 1 A*. Also look at leeds and keele

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh great thanks! Well i'm not sure what that means because i won't be doing A levels but i'll check my entry requirements on UCAS, thanks!:smile:
Reply 13
I thought birmingham wants 8A*s for GCSEs,, that's why it's so competitive :P plus Keele and cardiff doesn't put much emphasis on UKCAT! :smile:
Careful with a few this year. It seems like they keep bumping up their UKCAT requirements year on year, sometimes with massive leaps.

Avoid Newcastle/Durham, HYMS and (possibly, small chance) Manchester. Manchester's head admissions officer said to me that they would *probably* stick to 662.5 unless they received no. of applicants > last year's or there was an inflation in UKCAT scores that exceeded their predictions. Newcastle have made crazy leaps and a jump of 12.5 points isn't unthinkable, especially if you lurk around the TSR UKCAT thread where people are gaining stupidly high scores in DA this year.

It seems like DA has been quite easy this year for everybody. Try to avoid these places with boundaries close to where you are. 12.5 points is quite the extreme though!

EDIT:

Incidentally, you can only apply to 4 medical courses at once, not 5.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AdamskiUK
Careful with a few this year. It seems like they keep bumping up their UKCAT requirements year on year, sometimes with massive leaps.

Avoid Newcastle/Durham, HYMS and (possibly, small chance) Manchester. Manchester's head admissions officer said to me that they would *probably* stick to 662.5 unless they received no. of applicants > last year's or there was an inflation in UKCAT scores that exceeded their predictions. Newcastle have made crazy leaps and a jump of 12.5 points isn't unthinkable, especially if you lurk around the TSR UKCAT thread where people are gaining stupidly high scores in DA this year.

It seems like DA has been quite easy this year for everybody. Try to avoid these places with boundaries close to where you are. 12.5 points is quite the extreme though!

EDIT:

Incidentally, you can only apply to 4 medical courses at once, not 5.

Why HYMS? Isn't their only cut-off an average of 600 on the UKCAT? As far as I know, you get an automatic interview with a score of 700+ and if you have a lower score, they score your PS and reference (as one document) out of 15 and add it to the points you get for your UKCAT score. 700 is an automatic interview and 25 points and 675 is 20 points. If you don't get 700, do they not decide on a cut-off (e.g. 32/35 points) to be called for interview? Have they changed their selection procedure?
Original post by madgene
I thought birmingham wants 8A*s for GCSEs,, that's why it's so competitive :P plus Keele and cardiff doesn't put much emphasis on UKCAT! :smile:

Birmingham have changed what they want. :smile: If you have AAAA at AS and A*s in GCSE English, Maths and Science, you get preference. They don't use the UKCAT or BMAT.
Original post by cat-lover
Why HYMS? Isn't their only cut-off an average of 600 on the UKCAT? As far as I know, you get an automatic interview with a score of 700+ and if you have a lower score, they score your PS and reference (as one document) out of 15 and add it to the points you get for your UKCAT score. 700 is an automatic interview and 25 points and 675 is 20 points. If you don't get 700, do they not decide on a cut-off (e.g. 32/35 points) to be called for interview? Have they changed their selection procedure?

Yes, you're entirely correct. However, the problem with offering instant interviews means that lots of people will automatically apply there, regardless of personal preference, if they have a high UKCAT score. This year, DA seems inflated and many people on this forum and different ones discussing the UKCAT are reporting the common occurrence of mid 600s for the first three then high 800s for the DA. This means many will have a score over 750. If HYMS decide to only interview 450 people, then they will choose the 450 people with the highest UKCAT score. You can be almost certain that the 450 slots will be filled up with people with 700+ scores as they don't even consider your PS until after this ranking occurs/if you don't achieve 700.

For that reason, I would suggest staying away from HYMS.
Original post by AdamskiUK
Yes, you're entirely correct. However, the problem with offering instant interviews means that lots of people will automatically apply there, regardless of personal preference, if they have a high UKCAT score. This year, DA seems inflated and many people on this forum and different ones discussing the UKCAT are reporting the common occurrence of mid 600s for the first three then high 800s for the DA. This means many will have a score over 750. If HYMS decide to only interview 450 people, then they will choose the 450 people with the highest UKCAT score. You can be almost certain that the 450 slots will be filled up with people with 700+ scores as they don't even consider your PS until after this ranking occurs/if you don't achieve 700.

For that reason, I would suggest staying away from HYMS.

I seeee. I completely forgot they have limited interview slots :colondollar: thanks :smile:
Reply 19
Cardiff only use the ukcat after interview to differentiate between two equal candidates. So in effect the barely look at it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending