The Student Room Group

"Embellishing" your CV vs lying - where to draw the line?

OK as a general rule I don't like lying as it's inevitable that it will come back one day to bite you, but is it acceotable to exaggerate slightly what you did for work experience for example? A couple of years ago I carried out work experience in this company, but the work I did wasn't exactly challenging - it was organised through a business and cultural exchange programme, so there was also emphasis on cultural activities around where I was based. I did "work" at the company, and I have a recommendation letter from my supervisor to prove it, but it was mainly things like identifying potential clients, or even proofreading the English on its website. I do regret not asking for more work to do, as it really wasn't all that much. My question is, is it OK to maybe exaggerate slightly on this? Or just leave it off my CV completely?

Also I have had some other work experience since then, so would employers want to check up on every work placement you put on your CV, or only the most recent ones?
(edited 10 years ago)
I personally think exaggerating is a form of lying but just not as bad as an outright lie, so for instance if I was to fake enthusiasm to give me a better chance of getting a job. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.
Reply 2
I'm in similar situation, my work experience wasn't something unique or challenging nor amazing, I did basic tasks which where majority of the time organising documents and some filling or translating something. I just leave as it is because if I say I did Reception work and they would contact my previous employer, they would tell them I didn't do and then I would get in trouble :erm:
Reply 3
Original post by Multitalented me
I personally think exaggerating is a form of lying but just not as bad as an outright lie, so for instance if I was to fake enthusiasm to give me a better chance of getting a job. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.

Yeah........I really don't want to be in a position where I'm having to explain something which I've exaggerated, might just leave it off then. But faking enthusiasm during an interview is something everyone does to some extent I'd imagine!
Original post by ameritus
Yeah........I really don't want to be in a position where I'm having to explain something which I've exaggerated, might just leave it off then. But faking enthusiasm during an interview is something everyone does to some extent I'd imagine!
Well I guess if that's the case I guess I might as well do the same thing myself to make things fairer :tongue: I'd like to just say "I will do the job properly but my main motivation is the money" though lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
The problem with embellishing is that if the interviewer hits you with a probing question you'll look like a suffocating fish.
Reply 6
Original post by M1011
The problem with embellishing is that if the interviewer hits you with a probing question you'll look like a suffocating fish.

How about embellishing extra curriculars?

So instead of played for school teaam = captain

member of college debating society = chair.

Do they actually check this stuff? since I think it'd be fairly easy for someone to blag it..
Reply 7
It depends how far you go, generally I'm for embellishing in case 1, but not case 2 which is more of a lie.

Case 1: Reality - Answered the phones CV - Responded to customer enquiries and assisted with any questions

Case 2: Reality - Answered the phones CV - In charge of telecommunications for the whole office
Reply 8
Original post by liarpoker
How about embellishing extra curriculars?

So instead of played for school teaam = captain

member of college debating society = chair.

Do they actually check this stuff? since I think it'd be fairly easy for someone to blag it..

So tell me about a time when you had to motivate the team during a difficult away fixture. How did you motivate the team? How was this received? What was the outcome? Suffocating fish.

Etc. Easier to embellish, but still liable to get caught out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending