The Student Room Group

Neuroscience or Pharmacology? Honest opinions please

Hi guys,

I need to apply for uni choices soon.. I was initially thinking Medicine but now I gave up. :s-smilie:

Regarding neuroscience it's Bsc and it might sound idiotic but can you apply for the Msci course 4 years instead of doing Bsc? like in some unis they have two options... what do they mean.

I always wanted to learn a lot during university that's why i wanted to Medicine but regarding my grades BBCU at as levels i like natural sciences.

Pharmacology is 4 year course and i seem to be interested in it too. I don't know which one to choose from.. any pharmacolgy or neuroscience students here?

I also had an interest in brain and how they function so would neuroscience be a good degree although their career options are narrowed down?

I need to start on PS soon!! What to include in them... ?

MASSIVE THANK YOU!
In terms of the BSc or MSc, as long as it is listed under the undergraduate courses section, then they are basically the same, but for the MSc you will study a masters. MSc often have slightly higher requirements as well, but keep in mind that once you are at uni, you can always leave after you've gotten your BSc even if you did enter for an MSc course.

In your position I'd pick neuroscience, as I've heard that it's a slightly more interesting course, and although it may seem like a narrow field it is quickly evolving too.

Pharmacology is apparently a little less interesting, but of course, that is subjective.

Bear in mind that a lot of universities allow you to switch courses after the first year, I know quite a few people that started on a general biology course and then switched to something more narrowed down after the first year.

I would strongly recommend buying or borrowing a couple of books, one on neuroscience and one on pharmacology. Read them and see which one you find more interesting. That's how I picked my uni course (it's very effective). Although I quite liked physics, I just couldn't bear to read a whole book on it, whereas I loved reading about maths.
Reply 2
Original post by bluebeetle
In terms of the BSc or MSc, as long as it is listed under the undergraduate courses section, then they are basically the same, but for the MSc you will study a masters. MSc often have slightly higher requirements as well, but keep in mind that once you are at uni, you can always leave after you've gotten your BSc even if you did enter for an MSc course.

In your position I'd pick neuroscience, as I've heard that it's a slightly more interesting course, and although it may seem like a narrow field it is quickly evolving too.

Pharmacology is apparently a little less interesting, but of course, that is subjective.

Bear in mind that a lot of universities allow you to switch courses after the first year, I know quite a few people that started on a general biology course and then switched to something more narrowed down after the first year.

I would strongly recommend buying or borrowing a couple of books, one on neuroscience and one on pharmacology. Read them and see which one you find more interesting. That's how I picked my uni course (it's very effective). Although I quite liked physics, I just couldn't bear to read a whole book on it, whereas I loved reading about maths.

THANK YOU! I think your right!

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest