The Student Room Group

``
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

I've just finished my AS Levels. I'm studying Geography, Government and Politics and Economics at A2, but hopefully this information will still be useful to you.

Personally, I make notes from textbooks/revision guides on separate paper. For Chemistry and Maths, there's a lot of calculations involved, and as you can only ace these once you practice them, so writing them out on separate paper is best. Biology will probably involve quite a few diagrams, so drawing those would be easier on lined paper.

History is perhaps the one subject where you could write in the book, adding in additional information. I'd only really advise on adding stuff to the book if you learn by just reading something over and over again. I find writing out the key points really helps me, but everyone has their own techniques.

Also, if you lose the book and it's the only place you've got the information, you lose it all. Whereas if you've got two different sources of information, losing one wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'd recommend having multiple textbooks too, if they are available. For example, in AS Geography, we used a class textbook which I found to be quite basic, so I bought the alternative one, written by different examiners and it filled in the gaps in my knowledge. Likewise in AS Chemistry, I used two different textbooks, one of which went into the subject in far more depth.
Reply 2
Hey Jatz, I've started Year 12 this week and took the exact same subjects as you (weird, huh?) and I've been led to believe to read the textbook/revision guide/class notes and summarise them in note form and then go over them to implement them and learn it;
For History I'm gonna make mind maps and notes, Math just going to learn how to do it and then practise, Biology and Chemistry I'm going to understand the concept and repeat the process!
Reply 3
Throughout GCSE and AS, I made notes directly out the textbook and used to never bother looking at notes in class because sometimes there would be lots of irrelevant information in them and I wouldn't know if I really needed, whereas the textbook was tailored specifically to the subject specification.

However, I'm starting to make more notes in class now and just slotting it into my textbook so whenever I come to make detailed notes for exam revision, I can skim read through the simplified notes to kind of consolidate my understanding.
Reply 4
I make notes during class, however I rarely use these. The only time I used class notes was when we were being given information about our science practical assessments. I never used revision guides either, I just studied straight out of the textbook. Occasionally I'd re-word the information in the textbook to something more concise, write it down and stick these notes into my textbook. Still, it was mostly just the textbook.
Reply 5
I just started my second year. Last year I did AS chemistry, physics, french, history and english lit and A Level maths. I got 5As and an A*.

For maths it was just a case of doing the questions. I didn't bother writing down any theory because I found that doing the questions was enough.
For chemistry and physics, I had a mix of reading/writing notes and doing homework. We tended to get about an hour's worth of homework a week so I used to do that homework in one block and then revision by going over my class notes in 2 25 minute blocks.
They were the most straightforward. The other subjects I did lots of things like rosetta stone, making flashcards etc. I definitely found the sciences easier to revise for
Just a heads up. MIT found that this is the best way to study. Problem sheets should be done in 50 min stints with 10 min breaks to maximise problem solving and reading/writing notes should be done in 25 min stints with 5 min break to maximise memory.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I did history and biology and for both I made notes separately on lined paper which helped me :smile: I recommend for history getting the official Book for the topic from the exam board, which for me was AQA (you can get these cheap from amazon) and also I used a book called myrevisionnotes which was also helpful :smile: from this I did mind maps using both notes I took in class and out of the book :smile: biology I did the same :smile: I got a CGP revision guide but the student book version which wAs very helpful :smile:
I just started year 12 too but my sixth form has made us dive straight into the subjects.
What I would say is that for history I am being given so much homework already that involves making extra notes and reading around to broaden my knowledge, which is what I would've done for revision anyway so it's handy that it's homework. I haven't made any extra notes (on lined paper etc) outside this because right now I don't feel it's necessary.
However, for biology we were told about 30 seconds into the first lesson that we would really fall behind if we didn't start making extra notes at home from the first week, and I realised how true this was. I have only had 2 double periods of biology so far, but I have already gone home and looked up (from various Internet sources) about 3 sides of extra knowledge about a few concepts that I felt like I would understand better if I knew more about it. This has really helped me so far and I feel like this is what will keep me from falling behind.
I hope I helped a little, it's different for everyone though and if you feel more comfortable doing it differently to me then go for it; even my closest friends would think my ideal way of doing things would be completely different to theirs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I never really used my notes for revision. Maths I just used YouTube videos if I ever got stuck. My biology teacher gave us wrong information all the time or missed out important details so I just ignored most of what she said and used multiple textbooks to learn everything. Geology kind of the same as before, but there wasn't a textbook specifically for my course so I had to use my notes for some stuff. Chemistry was probably the only one I did use notes for, used a textbook for A2, but at AS I don't think I ever opened the textbook I was given.
Reply 9
Original post by AmyLH
I never really used my notes for revision. Maths I just used YouTube videos if I ever got stuck. My biology teacher gave us wrong information all the time or missed out important details so I just ignored most of what she said and used multiple textbooks to learn everything. Geology kind of the same as before, but there wasn't a textbook specifically for my course so I had to use my notes for some stuff. Chemistry was probably the only one I did use notes for, used a textbook for A2, but at AS I don't think I ever opened the textbook I was given.

That's typical of most schools/colleges haha. No maths revision required, crappy biology teacher who doesn't follow the specification and makes stuff up and a chemistry teacher who loves their subject and actually gets the job done!

My advice to new year 12s is to get a copy of the specification if your teachers havent given you one already. they are on the exam board websites for free. put a tick next to something when you have covered it.
I use 3 tick system that worked well for me. One for when I have covered the topic in class and have completed notes. Another for when I think I understood the topic well enough to be tested on it or teach somebody else (usually this tick comes in half term-revision before tests straight after half-term) and another in the lead-up to the exams when I am confident I knew the subject inside out and was ready to answer practically any question they threw at me regarding that topic. It helped me keep track of what needed work etc. and helped me break down revision into more focused sessions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, I do maths, biology, chemistry and my best friend does history. Just started A2.

For maths, you don't really needs notes OR a revision guide. Just practice, practice, practice throughout the whole year. Do every single paper there has been, and then do them again until you get say over 90%+ right! Trust me, it works!

For chemistry, make sure you get a copy of the specification, and make notes on the specific information stated. It's all fun and games making notes from text books, but a lot of the time, about 80% of the stuff in there you don't need to know! It's the same with most text books, IMO.
Also with biology, get a copy of the spec, and make notes on each part of it from the exam board's text book. My teacher wouldn't allow us to make notes in class! (He has a unique way of teaching in that he believes making class notes is a waste of time, he'd rather lecture the subject and embed the information into each and every individual.)
Once you have a good grasp of most of the subject, start the past papers as soon as possible! A lot of the work in biology and chemistry, more biology, intertwine. I find the past papers are the best method of revision if you compare and analyse them, and learn the patterns of the answers in the mark schemes. You can know biology/chemistry inside out, but if you don't know how to answer the questions you can lose a lot of marks.

For history, I'd say go through the textbooks (make sure it's the right exam board!) and summarise information into key points. Learn how to structure the essay writing, and read back on examiner reports to know where people maybe missed marks on past exam questions. Infact, it's worth looking at the examiner reports for biology and chemistry too, you get a grasp of what the examiner is actually looking for in the answers.

Wow, that was a bit lengthy haha. Hope that helped though :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Rocket Queen
Hey, I do maths, biology, chemistry and my best friend does history. Just started A2.

For maths, you don't really needs notes OR a revision guide. Just practice, practice, practice throughout the whole year. Do every single paper there has been, and then do them again until you get say over 90%+ right! Trust me, it works!

For chemistry, make sure you get a copy of the specification, and make notes on the specific information stated. It's all fun and games making notes from text books, but a lot of the time, about 80% of the stuff in there you don't need to know! It's the same with most text books, IMO.
Also with biology, get a copy of the spec, and make notes on each part of it from the exam board's text book. My teacher wouldn't allow us to make notes in class! (He has a unique way of teaching in that he believes making class notes is a waste of time, he'd rather lecture the subject and embed the information into each and every individual.)
Once you have a good grasp of most of the subject, start the past papers as soon as possible! A lot of the work in biology and chemistry, more biology, intertwine. I find the past papers are the best method of revision if you compare and analyse them, and learn the patterns of the answers in the mark schemes. You can know biology/chemistry inside out, but if you don't know how to answer the questions you can lose a lot of marks.

For history, I'd say go through the textbooks (make sure it's the right exam board!) and summarise information into key points. Learn how to structure the essay writing, and read back on examiner reports to know where people maybe missed marks on past exam questions. Infact, it's worth looking at the examiner reports for biology and chemistry too, you get a grasp of what the examiner is actually looking for in the answers.

Wow, that was a bit lengthy haha. Hope that helped though :smile:

I'd just like to contest some of this. Some of the info is great but other bits - while it might work for some I know it wouldn't work for me so I'm just mapping out an alternative way to go about it. I hope you don't take it personally.

My notes are what got me through the material. When preparing for tests what did you use? Past papers? I don't think that is really a good idea. I found that I was running out of past papers by the date of each exam and I only started going through them 6 weeks beforehand which is the recommended time. I'd leave the past-papers until at least Easter, for sure.

We had a funny chemistry question this year in which the answer was not strictly on the syllabus but it was hidden in the exam-board text book. For that reason, if you are looking to get full marks (which I did in a few exams) I would definitely use the exam-boards text book as a guide.

My preferred revision 'order', if you like was to take notes in class then compare it with the notes in the Exam Board text book and cross check with the syllabus. That way you start off with the essential knowledge. I did home-work(usually question papers) and an hour of reading/re-writing notes per lecture on top of that. Those notes are what I revised in the half term before each topic test. In the Christmas holidays I prepared for mock exams by answering questions in said text book and supplemented my basic notes with the extra knowledge gained from answering these questions (because some of the questions covered stuff not on the spec. Be careful). Then, in the next half term and in the Easter Holidays I did the same sort of things but for the 2nd Units.
Only THEN did I start going through past papers. I went through them with the mark scheme and saw where I was going wrong (but, tbh, with the revision strategy I was using there wasn't much going wrong. I only got 1 mock paper under an A and that was because we hadn't finished the Unit) and then went back to my notes and made sure I understood what was going on, did related questions in text books and class books and then went back to doing more past papers. When I had cycled through each past paper about 2-3 times (after that, I was getting to know each answer off by heart and needed some fresh material) I started doing Specimen papers which are generally more difficult and then, clutching at straws, looking at old-spec papers because they are more challenging again. I didn't do so well on the old-style papers but they really helped me make my understanding more concrete.

All I know is that worked for me and my friends who asked me how I revised and tried it out too. I ended up getting an average of 98% raw marks and my most of my friends ended up with As too. I'm not saying that Rocket Queens method is wrong. Just that I found another way more effective. You might find mine or RQs more effective - who knows! Just find a method that works and stick with it and you will get your A.

Quick Reply

Latest