The Student Room Group

Applying to do a Masters, anyone else gone through the application process?

Hi all, I'm applying to do a Masters at Glasgow and the application process is online, I have to submit my certificate and transcripts online too (not sure how to yet but I'll deal with that later). Just a quick question, maybe someone who has gone through this can shed light on it, I have to submit two academic references, and I've chosen one of my tutors and a recent employer. But, it goes on to say that 'References should be written on officially headed institutional paper' - unlike just providing a name of a reference on a CV, is this more like they have to write a paragraph about me and sign it? Just the fact that it says that it's written suggests that, but I just wanted to get it clear in my head before I start contacting people. Many thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by charmander12
I have to submit two academic references, and I've chosen one of my tutors and a recent employer.

An academic reference will be provided by someone from academia. A recent employer will provide a professional reference, which isn't what's needed on your application. My two academic references were provided by my undergrad course leader and my undergrad dissertation supervisor.

But, it goes on to say that 'References should be written on officially headed institutional paper' - unlike just providing a name of a reference on a CV, is this more like they have to write a paragraph about me and sign it? Just the fact that it says that it's written suggests that, but I just wanted to get it clear in my head before I start contacting people. Many thanks.

You may need to clarify direct with the uni as different ones have different requirements. As far as I read it, the use of headed paper is an instruction to your referees and not to you. Just pass that instruction on to them.
Original post by Klix88
An academic reference will be provided by someone from academia. A recent employer will provide a professional reference, which isn't what's needed on your application. My two academic references were provided by my undergrad course leader and my undergrad dissertation supervisor.

I've never seen it before but Glasgow seem to allow for an employer to be one of the academic referees.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/howtoapplyforataughtdegree/applyonline/guidancenotesforonlineapplications/

The OP may want to clarify with admissions that he is allowed to do so because it does say "where applicable" and "current" rather than recent employer.
Original post by charmander12
is this more like they have to write a paragraph about me and sign it?

Yes, they will write a short paragraph explaining why you are suitable for postgraduate study.
Reply 4
Original post by maskofsanity
I've never seen it before but Glasgow seem to allow for an employer to be one of the academic referees.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/howtoapplyforataughtdegree/applyonline/guidancenotesforonlineapplications/

The OP may want to clarify with admissions that he is allowed to do so because it does say "where applicable" and "current" rather than recent employer.

I read "where applicable" as meaning "in situations when you've been away from academia and you can't give two academic referees", because the phrase "current employer" is used. I agree that a "recent" employer may not be what's needed. Probably needs confirming direct with the uni.
For online applications you just scan in all the docs like degree certificates, trancripts etc and add them to your application.

Reference are confidential so you shouldn't see them - they will need to be sent directly to the course organiser, again as an attachment. Most employers (Unis included) will have an electronic version of their headed paper and the reference gets written on that and emailed as a word doc. Usually all you need to do is ask your referees if they are happy to provide a reference, fill in their details and then the 'system' will email them directly. They then send the emailed references directly to the Uni. If it isnt clear that that what happens, phone the Uni and check the procedure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending