The Student Room Group

Biochemistry in AQA AS Biology/Chemistry?

I'm interested in pursuing a degree in Biochemistry because it does seem interesting. I study AS's in biology and chemistry currently, which topics were the biochemistry parts? I'm trying to make more sense of what biochemistry actually is. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Magenta96
I'm interested in pursuing a degree in Biochemistry because it does seem interesting. I study AS's in biology and chemistry currently, which topics were the biochemistry parts? I'm trying to make more sense of what biochemistry actually is. Thank you. :smile:

Biochemistry is basically the study of the chemistry of biological molecules. In biochemistry we study macromolecules like proteins, DNA, RNA, lipids, carbohydrates, etc, the functional groups in these macromolecules, their monomers (like amino acids, monosaccharides, nucleic acids) etc.

I guess that would be a beginner's guide. PM me if you need more (or specific) help. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dynamo123
Biochemistry is basically the study of the chemistry of biological molecules. In biochemistry we study macromolecules like proteins, DNA, RNA, lipids, carbohydrates, etc, the functional groups in these macromolecules, their monomers (like amino acids, monosaccharides, nucleic acids) etc.

I guess that would be a beginner's guide. PM me if you need more (or specific) help. :smile:

heeii! do you also know where biochemists find a job, after they finish their studies? i've seen that they can get employed in hospital labs, forensic science..but how hard it is to find a vacant place? i also think about this degree, for the next year, but i can't make up my mind between genetics, biochemestry, biomedical science, molecular biology..and so on.

thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by Magenta96

IT starts to really become fascinating once you get to the photosynthesis/glucose topic. Not sure what exam board you are on for biology, but I was on AQA and it was in unit 4 where you get biochemistry.

Although I'm studying Pharmacy at uni, I still like biochemistry.

You will learn stuff like active transport and the proton pump in the cristae of a mitochondrion.

^^ beautiful picture of such an important process in the manufacture of energy! you will love it!
Original post by James A
IT starts to really become fascinating once you get to the photosynthesis/glucose topic. Not sure what exam board you are on for biology, but I was on AQA and it was in unit 4 where you get biochemistry.

You will learn stuff like active transport and the proton pump in the cristae of a mitochondrion.

^^ beautiful picture of such an important process in the manufacture of energy! you will love it!

Unit 4 AQA Biology Photosynthesis and Respiration :love:
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Unit 4 AQA Biology Photosynthesis and Respiration :love:

The Unit 5 stuff about cAMP was interesting too. Just the biochemistry stuff ofc :colondollar:
Original post by James A
The Unit 5 stuff about cAMP was interesting too. Just the biochemistry stuff ofc :colondollar:

Yes, it was, glycogenolysis and glycogenesis.. Gotta love the biochemistry in Biology A2 :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by James A

I concur.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Alinam
heeii! do you also know where biochemists find a job, after they finish their studies? i've seen that they can get employed in hospital labs, forensic science..but how hard it is to find a vacant place? i also think about this degree, for the next year, but i can't make up my mind between genetics, biochemestry, biomedical science, molecular biology..and so on.

thank you! :biggrin:

Biochemists, can work in a variety of situations. I can't brief all that here, so here is something that might be helpful. :colone:

As for how hard it is to find a vacant place, that depends on specific situations of demand and requirement, by orgnaisations that employ biochemists.
Also: if you are not able to make up your mind, go through a quick review of job prospects in different disciplines,and then choose the one that offers the best job prospects related to the field you like (if you don't like genetics, for example, don't go in it simply that it has a good job value.).
I prefer molecular biology, and genetics. Right now, I'm thinking about an MBBS. :tongue:
Reply 9
Biochemists, can work in a variety of situations. I can't brief all that here, so here is something that might be helpful. :colone:

As for how hard it is to find a vacant place, that depends on specific situations of demand and requirement, by orgnaisations that employ biochemists.
Also: if you are not able to make up your mind, go through a quick review of job prospects in different disciplines,and then choose the one that offers the best job prospects related to the field you like (if you don't like genetics, for example, don't go in it simply that it has a good job value.).
I prefer molecular biology, and genetics. Right now, I'm thinking about an MBBS. :tongue:

Hei, thank you very muck for answering! Your site posted here is very helpful,i haven't heard of it before. :biggrin:

What is MBBS? :">
Reply 10
Original post by Alinam
Hei, thank you very muck for answering! Your site posted here is very helpful,i haven't heard of it before. :biggrin:

What is MBBS? :">

It is a Bachelors in Medicine degree, offered by some colleges like Imperial etc.
Reply 11
It is a Bachelors in Medicine degree, offered by some colleges like Imperial etc.

ahaam, i got it. thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by Alinam
ahaam, i got it. thanks.

No problemo :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest