The Official 'How To Get A First Class Degree' thread Watch

Revi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Irumis)
I've finished my 2nd year of pharmacy (MPharm) with a mid 2:2... I really want a first and I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Luckily 3rd and 4th year make up 75% of the degree marks. I'm just disappointed that people with much lower A levels are doing A LOT better than me.

I have A*AAA at A level and I'm a member of British MENSA, I kinda know it's something I'm doing wrong when it comes to revising/studying.
If anyone has any tips for revising Bsc Or Msc please let me know
Number one tip is to go to your profs who graded you and ask them in their office hours. Find people who scored better than you and ask for their papers - people are generally happy to share their graded work.

Number two tip is to let go of your past baggage. If you're at Warwick and still caring about your A-level grades - that's a mistake. A*AAA is so common that it's almost a given. Mensa is cool, but it doesn't say anything other than what your grades already tells us: you're smart. cool. So are we. So is everyone here. Move on. You're currently a 2:2 student in your 2nd year. That's what defines you for now. If you read my post, I scored a 2:2 in my first year and I didn't like the taste it left in my mouth. I used that dissatisfaction to push me to a high 2:1 in my 2nd year, and a first in my third year - graduating with a 1st overall. Good luck.
Irumis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Revi)
Number one tip is to go to your profs who graded you and ask them in their office hours. Find people who scored better than you and ask for their papers - people are generally happy to share their graded work.

Number two tip is to let go of your past baggage. If you're at Warwick and still caring about your A-level grades - that's a mistake. A*AAA is so common that it's almost a given. Mensa is cool, but it doesn't say anything other than what your grades already tells us: you're smart. cool. So are we. So is everyone here. Move on. You're currently a 2:2 student in your 2nd year. That's what defines you for now. If you read my post, I scored a 2:2 in my first year and I didn't like the taste it left in my mouth. I used that dissatisfaction to push me to a high 2:1 in my 2nd year, and a first in my third year - graduating with a 1st overall. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. I mentioned my grades and MENSA to emphasise the point that I know my 2:2 is a reflection of my study habits
By asking my lecturers do you mean asking them how to get higher grades?
Irumis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Revi)

LeiPoorGuyAh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Revi)

What was keeping you back in the first year and how did you turn it around?
Edit: Saw your massive post just now, nvm
Ferrous-flame
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Anyone on here who studied Biochemistry? If so, do you have any specific tips?
Hopefuls
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One of my top tips is to always start work like assignments/exam revision early to give yourself plenty of time for editing which is often where you really get the marks. I know a lot of people say they’re “last minute” people or work best “under pressure”, in my personal view I don’t think that’s a good tactic and those people seldom get a first.

You don’t need to spend all night in the library to get a first, just plan and manage your time well. Knowing exactly what is being asked of you is an important point too because you’re then working efficiently and have the opportunity to go the extra mile.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%