Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am finding it hard to select the texts I will be writing my coursework essay on. I know I want to base my essay around human weakness, looking at the flaws in human nature and man's ability to be immoral. I would possibly like to look at where man's immorality comes from - is it an innate characteristic or are we taught to be immoral by experience?

I have been reading on the internet about Aristotle's views on human nature and weakness - could I use Aristotle as one of my texts?

Please could anyone recommend any novels, poetry or plays I could use, that focus on weakness in human nature? I would prefer older texts so that there's a range of available literary criticism for me to use in my coursework.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Oh, Aristotle, would be REALLY difficult unless you have studied his works or have done Philosophy A-level.

I'd recommend novels like Birdsong and focus on Stephen and Isabelle's relationship - exploring the weakness of that. She gives in to Stephen and has an affair and ends up destroying the man she married and his children. Also the immorality of war in parts 2 and 3 are a good thing to look at.

A lot of WW1 and possibly WW2 novels explore immorality. Check out All Quiet on the Western Front is a really good novel.

Erm, Crime and Punishment is like one of the BEST novels you can read that explores immorality. Also The Trial by Kafka explores this too.

Atonement explores the immorality of how Briony got Robbie arrested for falsely accusing him of raping her cousin (she knew he didn't) - so could explore that and it also has a few bits of WW2 stuff in it.

Arthur Miller's Broken Glass and The Crucible which are plays you can explore for immorality.

That's all I can think of on the top of my head!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool_JordH)
    Oh, Aristotle, would be REALLY difficult unless you have studied his works or have done Philosophy A-level.

I'd recommend novels like Birdsong and focus on Stephen and Isabelle's relationship - exploring the weakness of that. She gives in to Stephen and has an affair and ends up destroying the man she married and his children. Also the immorality of war in parts 2 and 3 are a good thing to look at.

A lot of WW1 and possibly WW2 novels explore immorality. Check out All Quiet on the Western Front is a really good novel.

Erm, Crime and Punishment is like one of the BEST novels you can read that explores immorality. Also The Trial by Kafka explores this too.

Atonement explores the immorality of how Briony got Robbie arrested for falsely accusing him of raping her cousin (she knew he didn't) - so could explore that and it also has a few bits of WW2 stuff in it.

Arthur Miller's Broken Glass and The Crucible which are plays you can explore for immorality.

That's all I can think of on the top of my head!
    Wait? This is an English Literature course right, surely you're then limited by books written in the English language?

If that's the case of course you couldn't write about Aristotle because his work was written in ancient greek, and Crime and Punishment is russian lol.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could do some research into heroism. You could take a look at 'Othello' and the fall of the tragic hero, Iago is a complex character you could analyse and you could also focus on his manipulation of Othello, there's also loads of criticism available. Some Anglo-Saxon stuff like 'The Battle of Maldon' also explores comitatus and heroism, blind loyalty and youthful idealism. You could analyse the actions of both Godrichs. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    Wait? This is an English Literature course right, surely you're then limited by books written in the English language?

If that's the case of course you couldn't write about Aristotle because his work was written in ancient greek, and Crime and Punishment is russian lol.
    No, literature in translation is allowed in some syllabuses, AQA for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am imaginary)
    I am finding it hard to select the texts I will be writing my coursework essay on. I know I want to base my essay around human weakness, looking at the flaws in human nature and man's ability to be immoral. I would possibly like to look at where man's immorality comes from - is it an innate characteristic or are we taught to be immoral by experience?

I have been reading on the internet about Aristotle's views on human nature and weakness - could I use Aristotle as one of my texts?

Please could anyone recommend any novels, poetry or plays I could use, that focus on weakness in human nature? I would prefer older texts so that there's a range of available literary criticism for me to use in my coursework.

Thanks
    Doctor Faustus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    No, literature in translation is allowed in some syllabuses, AQA for one.
    Really? I know that one of the definitions of English Literature translates to mean 'any literature in English including translated works' but that has always seemed incredibly far fetched and defeating the point to me.

I take it the OP has to write about fiction though? Oedipus could be a good play talking about psychoanalysis.

edit: if you do Oedipus you could still talk about Aristotle and what he said about tragedy in his Poetics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    Really? I know that one of the definitions of English Literature translates to mean 'any literature in English including translated works' but that has always seemed incredibly far fetched and defeating the point to me.

I take it the OP has to write about fiction though? Oedipus could be a good play talking about psychoanalysis.
    The exam boards choose to allow literature in translation, presumably on the basis that translation itself is a creative process and something of an art. Whether it's fiction or not will depend on the exact syllabus. AQA requires fiction, but I can't speak for any other board, since I don't teach them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 8, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.