The Student Room Group

Which degree best for Software Developer job? Msci/MEng/MComp/BSc?

Hello,

I am planning on going to university in 2014 and really want to study Computer Science. I have been faced with a myriad of different courses, the differences between which aren't very clear from any source I've been able to locate so far. These courses are:

Computer Science:
BSc
MSci
MComp
MEng
(plus any more you may know of)

...or even a Software Engineering degree.

When I leave university, I want to become a professional Software Developer, either creating my own app development company, or working for a company which develops apps for mobile, desktop, or other user devices, or working in the software side of Apple.

I really don't know which degree would be best suited to any of these jobs. any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated as it would make it much easier for me to make decisions about how to get on the right track in terms of university applications/decisions in the coming year. I am currently in my second year of sixth-form (Year 13).

Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
For the most part, assuming you have a decent classification (2:1+), from a reasonable university; it won't matter what the type (or the exact name) of your degree was. The M* degrees are at masters level, so are better than the BSc, however even then the higher degree won't help you much by itself, however you can use it as reasons why you are a good candidate. Most university courses will have optional modules and compulsory modules based on what the name/type of your degree is, for instance at Nottingham, then I did a 'standard' Computer Science degree, but if I had of wanted I could have studied the exact same content/modules as someone who graduated with a Software Engineering or Computer Science with AI degree. I personally thought it was best to have a fairly open titled degree - giving my flexibility in what I was able to do when I graduated.
Reply 2
In regards to what you want to do, go for Software engineering.

If you feel you need to undertake a masters after completing your undergrad then by all means, but it needs help your career in some way, for example, dont take a Bsc in Software E then a MSC in the same course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending