The Student Room Group

I need 5 A's, help?

I am in fifth year & I'm doing Higher English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology & Modern Studies.

So far I have found Maths the easiest, then Biology. 'Modies' is pretty boring but okay. Chemistry, I am struggling with and English is my worst (you'll probably be able to tell while you read this)

I am hoping to do Medicine, hence the reason I really need those 5 A's & preferably over 80% in them (even though percentages don't matter, I still want that at least)

I am at the stage that all the Unit 1 work is coming to an end, already, and we are having tests. I have had a chemistry one which I found horrible, but it must've been the test that was so bad, as many people in my year failed it (I find out on Monday what I have got in it)

Basically I am wondering if there are useful study techniques that will help me to achieve the grades I need.

I know the usual 'past papers, condense your notes', I have done what I can of those so far. But is there anything that helped you or someone you know, get 5 A's?

The lowest I would be aiming for is AAAAB (B in English) but I really am going to try my hardest to get an A in that, even if I scrape an A in that subject, I don't care, I just want one.

My mum is getting me a tutor for English so I hope I improve & this weekend I am going out to buy books for all my subjects, so any recommendations?

I forgot to say, I am doing Scottish Highers - not the AQA stuff.

I also need some tips on time management and procrastination. Would 3 sessions of 30 minutes studying with a 5 minute break inbetween, be better than a 2 hour solid period? As for procrastination, my problem is that I do well up until I need my iPad for help. I just get side tracked really badly. Maybe that's just something I have to sort out.

I am really desperate for those A's because apart from Medicine, I can see my self doing Pharmacy and that's it.

That's all, so thanks & please help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A set routine of revision/study was never helpful for me. What I did find helpful was making sure that I had resources within easy reach all the time. If you have revision guides and past papers nearby, then it's likely that you'll end up studying instead of procrastinating because your study materials are just too far away. So my advice would be to not set time limits for your studying, instead say to yourself that you'll try an exam paper/half an exam paper and that will be your revision in a certain subject for the night, or you might choose to do a page of problems/write out notes from memory instead. Take a break when you feel as though you're flagging (have a drink of water, stretch your legs, eat something) because study is always most effective when you're alert, and basically try and turn your study into a hobby rather than a strict revision timetable.

I know that past papers, and learning formulas, are the best techniques for success in maths and science subjects. In terms of English, I'm not exactly sure what your English exams consist of, but if you have any set texts try and get a York Notes for them. They'll teach you the lit side of things, such as what kind of themes you should be looking for in each text, and reading them will give you a few facts to draw on when you get a question. If writing is what you struggle with I'm not sure what to recommend, other than do some reading to get a feel for spelling and grammar. Reading is the best way to improve English in my experience.

In terms of books, I taught myself with CGP, Letts, Collins, etc for the sciences. I think most of those cover the Higher syllabus as well as A level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by e hine e
A set routine of revision/study was never helpful for me. What I did find helpful was making sure that I had resources within easy reach all the time. If you have revision guides and past papers nearby, then it's likely that you'll end up studying instead of procrastinating because your study materials are just too far away. So my advice would be to not set time limits for your studying, instead say to yourself that you'll try an exam paper/half an exam paper and that will be your revision in a certain subject for the night, or you might choose to do a page of problems/write out notes from memory instead. Take a break when you feel as though you're flagging (have a drink of water, stretch your legs, eat something) because study is always most effective when you're alert, and basically try and turn your study into a hobby rather than a strict revision timetable.

I know that past papers, and learning formulas, are the best techniques for success in maths and science subjects. In terms of English, I'm not exactly sure what your English exams consist of, but if you have any set texts try and get a York Notes for them. They'll teach you the lit side of things, such as what kind of themes you should be looking for in each text, and reading them will give you a few facts to draw on when you get a question. If writing is what you struggle with I'm not sure what to recommend, other than do some reading to get a feel for spelling and grammar. Reading is the best way to improve English in my experience.

In terms of books, I taught myself with CGP, Letts, Collins, etc for the sciences. I think most of those cover the Higher syllabus as well as A level.

I understand everything you've said and yes, reading has been a weakness of mine. All of my friends say I have to read more books. I need to push myself to read them, but once I've started I can't stop. English for us consists of 2 close reading passages that we answer questions on then we have to compare them. The second part is essay writing: we write 2 in 1 and a half hours.

Thank you so much, that was helpful & I'll definitely be keeping that in mind !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending