The Student Room Group

Santander Student Current Account Online Application Problem

Hi,

I am trying to apply online for a Santander Student Current Account, but it is asking for my monthly income but I will only be getting my student maintenance loan three times a year?

It asked me where I would get the money from and i only ticked student loan.
It then asked me how i could pay into my account each month, and I chose standing order although im not 100% sure it will be

It then asked me what my net monthly income is, and I divided the student loan by 12. For my outgoings I worked that out, and put the figure in which is less than the income.
I am not sure what to put for how much money will be going into my account for each month, so I just put the same as the monthly income, although that is only a yearly average as I will only be paid 3 times a year.
When I tried to submit it, it said 'We are unable to progress your application because your total outgoings are greater than your total income, if you have entered an incorrect amount please amend to proceed. Please note: you could be asked to provide documentation to verify your financial information.'
But I don't understand why? Because the income is higher than the outgoings.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or know a solution? I will be so grateful for any help :smile:

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Had the same exact problem! Perhaps it's worth a trip to the bank
Go into branch and open and have an advisor sit with you and open the account for you.
Reply 3
I did the same as you! But for my outgoings I put my student loan (income) divided by 12 and minused £1, so it would be less than my income. Go into a branch if you're having problems, but I would ring and book an appointment if you can. Mine had a 2 week waiting list!
Reply 4
Did that minusing of £1 work?
Reply 5
Original post by CLARA_
I did the same as you! But for my outgoings I put my student loan (income) divided by 12 and minused £1, so it would be less than my income. Go into a branch if you're having problems, but I would ring and book an appointment if you can. Mine had a 2 week waiting list!

Hi, did this work?
Reply 6
Go into a branch and talk it through with an advisor, it's much simpler when you've got someone walking you through it face to face.
Just a thought, is it worth dividing your loan by 9 months or 42 weeks since (assuming you're not staying in your Uni city over the summer) that's how long you'll be there over the year?
Reply 7
Original post by phil6395
Did that minusing of £1 work?

Original post by UCAS999
Hi, did this work?

Yep, it worked for me!
I was just wondering how long it took for people with santander to get there card and pin through the post? It's getting quite close to when I have to leave for uni, so getting worried it won't be here in time :frown:
hey,
just wondering what you guys did because im struggling here :/
thank you
Original post by MedMed12
hey,
thank you

I went into the branch to open mine, they were really helpful and pretty quick too :smile: I went in on Tuesday (5th), and my pin arrived today (9th), so my card should arrive on Monday (11th), which is pretty good for a bank :smile:
Original post by cah846
I went into the branch to open mine, they were really helpful and pretty quick too :smile: I went in on Tuesday (5th), and my pin arrived today (9th), so my card should arrive on Monday (11th), which is pretty good for a bank :smile:

ahh thank you! I have been trying to sort it before 14th when a-level students get their grades (already got mine) but just did it online. if not, I'll go in Monday then.
ahh thank you! I have been trying to sort it before 14th when a-level students get their grades (already got mine) but just did it online. if not, I'll go in Monday then.

No problemo, hope you get it all sorted and set up in time :smile:
hey,
thank you

I've solved it!!! Your outgoings and payment into your account must equal or be greater than your income.
Example:
Income-£450
Outgoings-£449
Payment into account-£1
Finally got this working after just typing numbers in for an hour!!!
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by jack-gregory
I've solved it!!! Your outgoings and payment into your account must equal or be greater than your income.
Example:
Income-£450
Outgoings-£449
Payment into account-£1

Ooops I put 0 , 0 , 0 and that worked for me.
Original post by propagation
Ooops I put 0 , 0 , 0 and that worked for me.

Well, 0+0 does equal 0, so I guess that's fine! Not sure how they'll feel about you having no money in your account though :\
Well, 0+0 does equal 0, so I guess that's fine! Not sure how they'll feel about you having no money in your account though :\

The thing is I didn't have a clue how much I was going to put in and therefore take out.
Example:
Income-£450
Outgoings-£449
Payment into account-£1

Correction, I think income and payment into account must be more than outgoings, but regardless, using the example I used still works :smile:
I would advise that no one does what I did,

Income:0
Outgoings: 0
Payment into account: 0

As they will reject it.

I know it's obvious but I went in today to my Local Santander and they stated that it would be rejected.
hey,
managed to sort it out now.
Just ordered my rail card.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending