Higher Languages 2013-2014

Watch this thread
Craigenhogen
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey everybody, I thought I'd make a thread for everybody doing higher languages this year. This thread is for anything related to the languages you're doing whether it be help or general discussion!

I'm totally not stealing the idea from the Advanced Higher Languages thread .

NOTE: If you're posting in a foreign language please provide a translation so you don't get any warnings

I guess I'll start then! I'm doing German and French this year (self studying German since I couldn't do it in school ). I'm finding both pretty easy so far, doesn't help that my French class has Int 2s in it so we can't always do higher work :rolleyes:.
Y2J97
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Doing Higher French and Spanish this year. Got 1s for SG last year. Enjoying the course so far...hoping to Adv H next year if the school will let me!
ChrissyH
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If anyone doing French and Spanish needs advice/help with the course I did them last year
EcosseSchottland
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I did French and German last year and really enjoyed the courses. Make sure you work hard on the speaking though as you can bank 25% before even sitting the exam.
L...
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing Higher French and Higher German and got 1's in them both at S.G. Finding French quite difficult already, but I've never been that great at it. I am loving German though, it's pretty interesting. Hoping to do AH German next year!
Bromaldehyde
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Doing Higher Latin, hope that counts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Craigenhogen
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Bromaldehyde)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might not be spoken by many people but it's still a language so I'd say that it counts
JamMacLean97
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm doing 2 languages at Higher: Gaelic and French, and I'm doing Intermediate 2 German.
Hoping to do AH Gaelic and French and H German next year. Any tips for improving with Higher French listening? and with writing, listening and speaking with German at Int 2?
JamMacLean97
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say that any language (which can be done at higher) counts.
ladymarshmallow
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi there,
I did Higher German and French last year and am currently studying both at AH level this year, so would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Raabiah
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing higher french this year and it's all going well except for the listening. I just can't get the hang of it. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
studynotime
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same. I hate Cicero with a passion.
Bromaldehyde
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by studynotime)
Same. I hate Cicero with a passion.
Cicero is better than Virgil imo haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
studynotime
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Cicero is better than Virgil imo haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you crazy?! I LOVE Virgil aha!
Bromaldehyde
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Are you crazy?! I LOVE Virgil aha!

Haha Virgil is pretty cool too :P
studynotime
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Haha Virgil is pretty cool too :P
I'm really struggling with learning the Cicero... any tips?

Also, are you doing Higher Classical Studies too?
Bromaldehyde
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm really struggling with learning the Cicero... any tips?

Also, are you doing Higher Classical Studies too?
The way I do it is I memorize the meaning of each word, not a translation. This really works for me and I can make up an ideal translation on the day, of course I know the translation well though.

And no I'm not sorry, I've got a week off just for Latin though, so I'm not doing any studying till then

Posted from TSR Mobile
studynotime
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The way I do it is I memorize the meaning of each word, not a translation. This really works for me and I can make up an ideal translation on the day, of course I know the translation well though.

And no I'm not sorry, I've got a week off just for Latin though, so I'm not doing any studying till then

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll try that! Yeah, I have 8 days from the 15th of May, but as that's my birthday... No chance I'm studying then!
username1155226
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Doing Higher Spanish this year, it's driving me mental! Been difficult all year, self teaching myself Dutch and I know more Dutch than Spanish unfortunately
studynotime
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Higher French exam on Wednesday... anyone got any tips for the listening/reading/writing...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (269)
42.36%
The paper was reasonable (261)
41.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.13%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.4%

Watched Threads