The Student Room Group

Higher Languages 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studynotime
Higher French exam on Wednesday... anyone got any tips for the listening/reading/writing...?

I did Higher last year and am sitting the AH exam on Wednesday, so I may be able to give you some (hopefully helpful!) advice. :tongue: My best piece of advice would be firstly to make sure that you absorb and immerse yourself in as much French as possible over the next few days. :tongue: So, watch the news in French, read newspapers/blogs etc, which will all help you to tune your ear in to the language. As for the writing, I'd make sure that you're confident with all the grammatical constructions at this level - perhaps practise a few past DRs/discursive writings? :smile: Those are just some general tips, so if you have any further, more specific, queries, feel free to quote me and I'll see if I can help. :biggrin: Best of luck for the exam!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Anyone doing higher German? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aiesot

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing AH, does that count? :tongue:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I did Higher last year and am sitting the AH exam on Wednesday, so I may be able to give you some (hopefully helpful!) advice. :tongue: My best piece of advice would be firstly to make sure that you absorb and immerse yourself in as much French as possible over the next few days. :tongue: So, watch the news in French, read newspapers/blogs etc, which will all help you to tune your ear in to the language. As for the writing, I'd make sure that you're confident with all the grammatical constructions at this level - perhaps practise a few past DRs/discursive writings? :smile: Those are just some general tips, so if you have any further, more specific, queries, feel free to quote me and I'll see if I can help. :biggrin: Best of luck for the exam!

Sorry, only just seen this! Any more tips for the reading? I feel useless at listening, but I'm deaf... So that really cannot be helped!

I feel a huge moral conflict... French exam on Wednesday... Birthday on Thursday... :frown:
Sorry, only just seen this! Any more tips for the reading? I feel useless at listening, but I'm deaf... So that really cannot be helped!

I feel a huge moral conflict... French exam on Wednesday... Birthday on Thursday... :frown:

For the reading, I'd just make sure that you give yourself enough time to read the text over again and pay attention to accuracy. :tongue: That's probably the most patronising advice I've given, oh dear.

Duuude, my birthday's on Friday. :cool: 18 pour moi. Happy Birthday in advance. :biggrin:
For the reading, I'd just make sure that you give yourself enough time to read the text over again and pay attention to accuracy. :tongue: That's probably the most patronising advice I've given, oh dear.

Duuude, my birthday's on Friday. :cool: 18 pour moi. Happy Birthday in advance. :biggrin:

It's the little connecting words that are so key that I keep missing out! :s-smilie:

I'm 18 on Thursday! Although, when I was registering, I accidentally said I was two years younger than I was... :frown:

You know that great feeling you get when you're one day older than someone? :tongue: I think I might go into a shop and see how long it takes for them to doubt my ID...

Happy Birthday in advance to you too! :biggrin:
I am! :smile: How are you feeling about it?

Original post by aiesot

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's the little connecting words that are so key that I keep missing out! :s-smilie:

I'm 18 on Thursday! Although, when I was registering, I accidentally said I was two years younger than I was... :frown:

You know that great feeling you get when you're one day older than someone? :tongue: I think I might go into a shop and see how long it takes for them to doubt my ID...

Happy Birthday in advance to you too! :biggrin:

You'll be fine. :smile: I can't wait for all dat newfound freedom. :colone:
Thank you! Enjoy yours :h:
I'm actually not phased by this exam at all... It's my guaranteed A subject - along with Tech. Studies. Let's just hope I refrain myself from writing bizarrely over-dramatic DWs and essays.
Jealous. I can't write writings to save my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jealous. I can't write writings to save my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you have the verb conjugations drilled down and possibly, as ladymarshmallow suggested, immerse yourself in some french content - you should be fine!

EDIT: replace french with whatever language you are studying
Original post by Princepieman
Make sure you have the verb conjugations drilled down and possibly, as ladymarshmallow suggested, immerse yourself in some french content - you should be fine!

EDIT: replace french with whatever language you are studying

Verb conjugations... *shudders*

I do French :tongue: What's your least confident part of the French?
Verb conjugations... *shudders*

I do French :tongue: What's your least confident part of the French?

The essays at the end of the listening, I can never seem to get above an 8/10 on those. How about yourself?

I've been learning French for 10 years now so reading and listening are fairly straight forward pour moi.
Original post by Princepieman
I'm actually not phased by this exam at all... It's my guaranteed A subject - along with Tech. Studies. Let's just hope I refrain myself from writing bizarrely over-dramatic DWs and essays.

Don't refrain, go all out. The more bizarrely over-dramatic the better. :yep:
Markers dig that ****.
Don't refrain, go all out. The more bizarrely over-dramatic the better. :yep:
Markers dig that ****.

You'd think so but doing just that cost me an A band 1 in the prelims.. My last DW was almost reminiscent of a disney movie: I went to Paris with a school group but found my self in the company of a young 'Princess' who ended up becoming a romantic interest..
Reply 35
Original post by aiesot

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing higher German :smile:
What happens if you go over the word count? Do they penalise you?
Original post by ElspethNix
What happens if you go over the word count? Do they penalise you?

Unless it's significantly so then I doubt it. :smile:
Reply 38
Anyone have any predictions for the short essay or direct writing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found these French short easay phrases, if they're of any help: http://bearsdenmfl.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/short_essay_guide1.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending