Go and do a media course at uni then go to drama school, or just go to drama school?

Watch
reed493
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi All,

First of all i really hope Ive put this into the correct section of the forum, it looked like the most appropriate place.

Im currently applying through UCAS to either go to university or drama school in 2014 but have a dilema as im not sure as to what to do. Do i:

A) go to university and do a film/TV production course at somewhere like Royal Holloway, and then do a 1 or 2 year course at a drama school afterwards, or....

B) Just go straight to drama school. (this is assuming i got in as im aware of how very competitive they are).

Its not a question of whether or not i want to go to drama school as i defiantly do its just when i do it. My idea behind going to university first was that i got get the technical, behind the scenes skills and knowledge of theater and TV and then go to drama school and get the acting training and become an actor and director. I should point out that i aspire to be an Actor not someone behind the scenes, but would be doing the university course in order to obtain knowledge necessary to being a director.

Its a difficult call to make and time is running out to dither so i was wondering if anyone could help me out or would know what i'd be better doing. Am i less likely to get work as an actor just doing a 1/2 year course or is it vital to do a 3 year course? am i still getting the same social life in drama school as i would in a university?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this, and i must again stress; I do want to go to drama school its just a question of when and for how long.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want to be a performer, go to Drama School.

If you do a drama degree, you will not be taken seriously - its like doing a Literature degree with a few practical classes; it doesnt give you either the practical skills or the 'professional' intensive training of a Drama School. And doing 'media' or 'tv production' is an utter waste of time.

ONLY apply to accredited drama schools like Bristol Old Vic, LAMDA, RADA and Central etc. Do not apply to anything calling itself an Academy or otherwise pretending to be a drama school.
Kaizerin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
If you want to be a performer, go to Drama School.

If you do a drama degree, you will not be taken seriously - its like doing a Literature degree with a few practical classes; it doesnt give you either the practical skills or the 'professional' intensive training of a Drama School. And doing 'media' or 'tv production' is an utter waste of time.

ONLY apply to accredited drama schools like Bristol Old Vic, LAMDA, RADA and Central etc. Do not apply to anything calling itself an Academy or otherwise pretending to be a drama school.
Why is doing a Media degree an utter waste of time? Even if it's 'Film, Television and Digital Production' from Royal Holloway?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because that individual wanted to work as a performer/director in the theatre.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.67%
Uncertainty around my education (57)
11.54%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (58)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (27)
5.47%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.25%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.73%
Financial worries (29)
5.87%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.48%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.83%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (41)
8.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed