Oxbridge Interview ---The soul-torturing ordeal Watch

This discussion is closed.
cofactor
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey guys. If u have any interesting interview story of other ppl or yourself, share them here.

Your effort will be much appreciated by those who will have to undergo this ordeal next year and those gloating by-standers who will basically get a kick out of it.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mine was relatively normal and actually quite enjoyable.
Suzy_vet
Report 15 years ago
Mine too. But if you go in there being arrogant you dont have a chance in hell. Tutors like people they can teach, not no it alls.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cofactor)
Hey guys. If u have any interesting interview story of other ppl or yourself, share them here.

Your effort will be much appreciated by those who will have to undergo this ordeal next year and those gloating by-standers who will basically get a kick out of it.
I drunk too much the night before my interviews.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Have a look at this website http://oa.waveflex.com
*LoL*
Report 15 years ago
all i can say about Oxbridge interview is that you got to be more eccentric than the interviewers to counteract their eccentricity
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We were told that the interview is not the be all and end all - people have got in with crap interviews. Also, they don't expect the interview to be slick nor do they expect you to know all the answers to their questions.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
We were told that the interview is not the be all and end all - people have got in with crap interviews. Also, they don't expect the interview to be slick nor do they expect you to know all the answers to their questions.
Yes, you can often bull**** your way through the interview. Even if you get questions they ask you wrong, the fact that you were able to respond well (even if it is complete lies) is usually what they look for. In other words, you think for yourself.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Yes, you can often bull**** your way through the interview. Even if you get questions they ask you wrong, the fact that you were able to respond well (even if it is complete lies) is usually what they look for. In other words, you think for yourself.
Yeah, but if you bull**** too much for a subject like Medicine, they're just gonna think you're an arrogant little **** and throw you out on your arse.
cofactor
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey guys, i appreciate your effort that u put here however don't u think your masterpieces have all slightly gone astray from the Thread???? :confused:

Please post Story not Your Post-Oxbridge-Interview survivor experience.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't think of it as an ordeal, the more relaxed you are about it the better you will perform Just think of it as a learning experience (I learnt a few things at my interview!) and enjoy the chance of getting to talk to someone as enthusiastic about your subject as you are.

The point that they don't expect you to know all their answers is an important one. Infact they are likely to try and push you to a point where you can no longer answer their questions (correctly) to try and see your potential. So don't get disheartened, just give it a try and as long as it's a logical and reasonable answer they wont mind
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Yeah, but if you bull**** too much for a subject like Medicine, they're just gonna think you're an arrogant little **** and throw you out on your arse.
lol, nicely put I agree, honesty is important to them and if you lie/bull**** (and pretend that you know what you're talking about) then it will just make you look even more stupid.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cofactor)
Hey guys, i appreciate your effort that u put here however don't u think your masterpieces have all slightly gone astray from the Thread???? :confused:

Please post Story not Your Post-Oxbridge-Interview survivor experience.
This isn't detracting! None of us have particularly thrilling stories, so we're just talking interviews in general - and what's being said is very useful. You don't have interviews for another 9 months anyway, so chill about them!

The fact is, most people's interviews are boringly normal, there are very few "my interviewer made my eat cherries with my left hand, tie the stalks in knots with my tongue and perform sexual favours with my other hand" stories out there.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Yes obviously you cant just bull**** everything, I mean on questions your not sure of, you clearly have to be correct in a lot of the questions. They look for confidence more than anything.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes obviously you cant just bull**** everything, I mean on questions your not sure of, you clearly have to be correct in a lot of the questions. They look for confidence more than anything.
The borderline between confidence and arrogance is thin though...
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The borderline between confidence and arrogance is thin though...
Yes true. But they arent going to accept a nerd with no life and no confidence.
*LoL*
Report 15 years ago
Confidence?? Don’t make me laugh. a lot of them just pretend to have confidence at the interview while they are really weak inside. Tell me how can a interviewer distinguish between the faked and genuine confidence
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *LoL*)
Confidence?? Don’t make me laugh. a lot of them just pretend to have confidence at the interview while they are really weak inside. Tell me how can a interviewer distinguish between the faked and genuine confidence
You just can. Its very similar to sport. You can tell if someone is crap or not.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd disagree there. I think they would let a "nerd" in if they are especially good at their subject (although I'd accept that it would not help and would probably be a slight negative).

As for my interview, was nothing too bad really. Did a little test beforehand and talked through my answers working through the ones I'd not finished or completed incorrecty around a table with two professors who offered me a slice of cake and some tea. They were very friendly and down to earth and put me at my ease. I didn't have the greatest of interviews, but I got an offer (admittantly it was for maths, where there are more offers given as less people make the grade). Overall, it was an enjoyable experience and a nice day out, far less formal than I was expecting.
Sianabanana
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was sent for interviews at St.Hildas (where I was offered a place), had to run all the way from St.Johns (straight after an interview) arrived five minutes late, sweating, panting, was sat on a window seat, given a book, made to read aloud in French and analyse the passage. Funnily enough I was only offered German (the interview for which followed straight after the French one, by which time I had regained my breath, had no time to be nervous and just talked- proving you really should just be yourself).
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.87%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (327)
63.62%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.67%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.84%

Watched Threads