The Student Room Group

Partial Fractions: Where am I going wrong?

xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Apologetic Cube

Spoiler

Small mistake at the end, I think you flipped A, B around with C, D.

So you have 3x+4x2(x2+1)Ax+Bx2+Cx+Dx2+1\displaystyle \frac{3x + 4}{x^2 (x^2 + 1)} \equiv \frac{Ax + B}{x^2} + \frac{Cx + D}{x^2 + 1}

and A=3, B=4, C=3, D=4A = 3, \ B=4, \ C = -3, \ D = -4.

So:

3x+4x2(x2+1)3x+4x23x+4x2+1\displaystyle \frac{3x + 4}{x^2 (x^2 + 1)} \equiv \frac{3x + 4}{x^2} - \frac{3x + 4}{x^2 + 1} which you can simplify to get the textbook answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Express (3x+4)/((x^2(x^2+1))
Just to clarify, that's 3x+4 divided by x squared multiplied by x squared plus one.

Acc​ording to the textbook, the answer is:

(3/x) + (4/x^2) - ((3x+4)/(x^2+1))

I get: (3x)/(x^2 + 1) + 4/(x^2 + 1) - 3/x - 4/(x^2)

Here's my working:

(3x + 4)/(x^2(x^2 + 1)) = (Ax + B)/(x^2) + (Cx + D)/(x^2 + 1)

(Ax + B)(x^2 + 1) + (Cx + D)(x^2) = 3x + 4

When x = 0:

B = 4

When x = i:

(Ci + D)(-1) = 3i + 4

C = -3, D = -4

When x = 1:

2(A + 4) - 7 = 7 => A = 3

Up to here is fine

So the partial fraction expansion is:

(3x + 4)/(x^2 + 1) + (-3x - 4)/(x^2)

= (3x)/(x^2 + 1) + 4/(x^2 + 1) - 3/x - 4/(x^2)

Then you simply mixed up where your A, B, C, and D were

Your working out gives the correct answer
Reply 3

Can I ask, what exactly is meant when x = i? What does i represent? Could you possibly write out that step but without i, so I can see how C and D were found? This was copied from a website so it's not necessarily comparative to the curriculum I'm following.

i represents the imaginary value that is 1\sqrt{-1}

Can I ask, what exactly is meant when x = i? What does i represent? Could you possibly write out that step but without i, so I can see how C and D were found? This was copied from a website so it's not necessarily comparative to the curriculum I'm following.

I take it you've not done complex numbers yet.

Basically i=1    i2=1i = \sqrt{-1} \implies i^2 = -1.

So you have: 3x+4(Ax+B)(x2+1)+(Cx+D)x23x + 4 \equiv (Ax +B)(x^2 + 1) + (Cx + D)x^2

x=i:3i+4=(Ai+B)(i2+1)=0+(Ci+D)i2=13i+4=CiD\displaystyle x = i: 3i + 4 = (Ai + B)\underbrace{(i^2 + 1)}_{=0} + (Ci + D)\underbrace{i^2}_{=-1} \\ 3i + 4 = -Ci - D.

Now, you when you have an equation with complex numbers, you can equate real and imaginary parts. So if:

x+iy=u+iv    x=u, y=vx + iy = u + iv \implies x = u, \ y = v.

And you can apply this to the above.

Complex numbers are part of the AH course but we haven't covered them yet! So what value would I use instead of i, if I were to try and find C and D without the use of complex numbers?

Just plug in some simple values like x=1, 1x=1, \ -1, etc and you'll get simultaneous equations which you can solve.
Reply 6

Complex numbers are part of the AH course but we haven't covered them yet! So what value would I use instead of i, if I were to try and find C and D without the use of complex numbers?

Use any other 2 values and solve the simultaneous equations for C and D

Quick Reply

Latest