The Student Room Group

Economics and Religious Studies no longer sought by Top Universities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21187085

Is this a joke? I'd argue that RS and certainly Economics is on par, if not more challenging than Geography.

They're now seen on par with Media Studies and Critical Thinking. Are Nottingham and York trolling?

Discuss.
Reply 1
Surprised at Economics. I know it isn't exactly rocket science at A level, but still.
(edited 10 years ago)
Video lists subjects you should study

Yes: Mathematics, History, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Geography, English Literature, Languages

No: Economics, Media Studies, Electronics, Music, Critical Thinking, Citizenship Studies, Leisure Studies & Religious Studies

Economics seems to stand out on the No list to me :confused: I'm probably biased since I studied it mind.
Reply 3
Funnily enough there was an article in Saturdays Times saying that economists are absolutely useless as whenever we need them to predict things they never can.

"So whats the point of this truly "dismal science" " it asked.
Many unis have been against A levels such as Economics, psychology, sociology, archaeology, astronomy, computer science and similar for a long time. Yet others will ask for the above at the highest grade, if being taken, for a degree in the same subject. Yet the same unis will accept a portfolio of just 'core' from the yes list without a problem.

Putting music on the no list is stupid if people are going to study music, it is mandatory (or alternative with written confirmation that A level was not offered) at at least two RG unis I know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
When I first found this site I was surprised how well-regarded Economics is here. In my country it was regarded as a "soft" subject by the snobs, and the best schools didn't offer it.

I personally don't think that there's anything wrong with the subject, mind. Perhaps Nottingham and York just think that at A-Level the subject is too watered down to be a good indication of degree level. I did read somewhere that Economics A-Level is the easiest to complete in just one year, here: "Over the past few years, the subject has become one of the college's most consistently successful subjects, largely due to its suitability as a course which can be taken as a new subject over one year."
Reply 6
Not sure about RS but I know Economics definitely is considered a strong subject on the lists published by universities. Remember seeing this report when it was broadcast; probably just shoddy research.
Reply 7
Original post by llys
When I first found this site I was surprised how well-regarded Economics is here. In my country it was regarded as a "soft" subject by the snobs, and the best schools didn't offer it.

I personally don't think that there's anything wrong with the subject, mind. Perhaps Nottingham and York just think that at A-Level the subject is too watered down to be a good indication of degree level. I did read somewhere that Economics A-Level is the easiest to complete in just one year, here: "Over the past few years, the subject has become one of the college's most consistently successful subjects, largely due to its suitability as a course which can be taken as a new subject over one year."

Not being funny but I found English Lit to be the most watered down subject about. Just like GCSE you can woffle and still get a good grade, I should know as that's what I did. Simply read the texts, ramble on about a bit of irrelevant **** and you'll get at least a B. try doing the same for Economics and you'll get a U.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bencant
Not sure about RS but I know Economics definitely is considered a strong subject on the lists published by universities. Remember seeing this report when it was broadcast; probably just shoddy research.

Thats what I was thinking. To have those subjects in the same bracket as Media is quite frankly insulting on the people who worked hard in those subjects.

the Trinity list from Cambridge has then both as strong Arts subjects.
People have missed the point in the video, it specifically says subjects like economics may be desirable or even recommended when picked in combination with two from the "yes" list. So for example, maths, chemistry and economics for an economics degree is perfectly fine.
Reply 10
Original post by hellomoto170
People have missed the point in the video, it specifically says subjects like economics may be desirable or even recommended when picked in combination with two from the "yes" list. So for example, maths, chemistry and economics for an economics degree is perfectly fine.

No because that suggests it's not as respected as other academic subjects which it is. Obviously certain science courses may require science A levels, but economics would be just as acceptable as history for example.
Trolling!!
Reply 12
Original post by hellomoto170

Sorry, accidentally negged you.
I did Economics at A-Level and once my results came out I had missed out on my uni and had to go through clearing, I got a B in A-Level economics and it was that subject that got me into a ABB uni through clearing. I wanted to do History and at A-Level I did History, English Lit and Economics. But when I mentioned Economics on clearing day it was the clincher for the uni. Best thing I ever took :smile:
R.E is actually a tough A level as well, it's essay writing under pressure and you need to use scholars to back your points up, which is very rare at A level.
Reply 15
Original post by wildrover
R.E is actually a tough A level as well, it's essay writing under pressure and you need to use scholars to back your points up, which is very rare at A level.

This

The 2 A2 exams are bloody hard, it's the subject i also did worst in :biggrin:
In my opinion, Religious studies is by far one of the hardest humanities A-levels, way harder than Economics. It involves writing multiple, long essays under huge time constraints! Placing it next to music and media studies is shameful. Economics is mostly multiple choice questions at AS, although it gets very difficult at A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending