Finding a job that's right for you? Watch

LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay so here's the deal, I'm 23 and have been in my current job for almost a full year now, its a graduate job which I am lucky as hell to of gotten considering I dont have a degree, but I dont enjoy my work, its barebly but I dont like/enjoy any part of it, to tell the truth I'm not even all that interested in it lol.

What I would like to know is do any of you have any tips or advice on how to find a job/career thats right for you? I mean I know the usual stuff like "what do you enjoy doing" or "what skill or knowledge do you have that is valuable/profitable" etc

but what I want to know is have any of you ever changed careers completely because it wasnt right for you?

and even if you havent and just chose a career based on how it suited you, what influenced your decisions?

how did you find out what it was? was it your passion?

So basically tips and advice aside, should I try and get another job in this Industry (IT) hoping itl be better/more suited to me than this one?

Or just go with somthing completely different in the hope I'll find somthing I like better ?

I am very confused and would love some advice,

Thank you very much in advance,

Luke
LukeM90
Rep:
?
anyone?
katgray
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I sympathise with this! Similarly to you, I started a graduate job this year, thinking it was something I wanted to do and quickly found out that it just wasn't for me (70 hour weeks, 6 days a week, doing a job I hated). So I recently took the plunge and quit. I'm now looking for something new. What job are you doing right now and what is it that you hate about it?
LukeM90
Rep:
?
(Original post by katgray)
Hey, I sympathise with this! Similarly to you, I started a graduate job this year, thinking it was something I wanted to do and quickly found out that it just wasn't for me (70 hour weeks, 6 days a week, doing a job I hated). So I recently took the plunge and quit. I'm now looking for something new. What job are you doing right now and what is it that you hate about it?
Flip 70 hours is a hell of a lot!

and Im a IT support but in a small organisation so I do various work but my main responsibility is helpdesk, which I hate

I mean I dont get that many calls but im more someone who likes to know exactly what I have to do and just get on with it, rather than someone who just waits on a phone to ring or waits for projects to come in (e.g. can you fix this pc/printer etc lol)

I dont mind the technical hands on stuf, but there isnt enough of it, generally im mostly just sat staring at the screen, all day lol

what was you job out of interest?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (72)
75.79%
No (23)
24.21%

Watched Threads