The Student Room Group

Biomedical science to medicine? Is biomed a useful degree?

So I'm studying biomedical science as I didn't get into medicine with the hopes of transferring into medicine after I finish this degree..
Has anyone done this? If so, how hard was it to get into medicine?

If that isn't possible I'd like to know the job options available to me after?
Has anyone completed their biomedical degree and what job are you in now?

Working in a lab isn't really my ideal job.. Are there any administrative/desk based jobs etc possible after a biomedical science degree?

please state all the career options available after completing this degree
Im also thinking the same thing..only i want to study pharmacy afterwards instead of medicen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Basically i need some advice...
I was dead set on applying for medicine this year but for my AS results i got AAACD, the C being in biology and the D being in chemistry (one off a C). I'm still not giving up on medicine, im now applying for biomedicine instead and then doing a transfer/postgrad to medicine OR if i do amazingly well in the summer i may take a gap year and apply for med next year (can you do this?)
My chemistry teacher (and form tutor) has predicted me a C and i really need her to predict me a B for biomed, i hired a tutor that she recommended and go to chem help sessions regularly, its not that im bad at chemistry, i revised hard (made like 2 sets of notes for each unit and did all the past papers on AQA for each unit) and i do have a good grasp of the knowledge, the actual exam just went really bad and i have bad maths skills (for the moles and calculations etc.)...
Could you guys:
-give me any advice on how to persuade her to give me a B and show her that i can achieve that or higher (hopefully)
-any revision/exam techniques i should adopt to improve my chemistry grade and how to also boost my bio grade (im not getting a tutor for bio)
-i resat my chem unit 1 last year and i actually went two grades down, but my teacher has asked me to resit my chem empa and chem unit 2 which i will be doing in the summer/spring for empa, any advice on how to ace those?
-also for biology, i got Cs in all the units and im resitting unit 3, should i resit any other units (1 or 2) bearing in mind ill have all my other exams + english coursework
- for biomedcine, what type of work experience should you have, ive had 1 week at a GP surgery/health centre where i was shadowing a registrar and an ex heart-surgeon now GP, ive also done 1 week at a pharmacy and ive managed to get some volunteering at my local hospital as general ward volunteer, anything else i can do to really make me shine as a biomed candidate since i got poor grades?
- im also doing an epq, does anyone know any good titles that are related to both medicine/biomed, i was thinking maybe something to do with war and medicine because i did history at AS level

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY ANSWERS/ADVICE, I WOULD BE REALLY THANKFUL, FEELING VERY STRESSED OUT ATM!!!!
Reply 3
Why would you not start a new thread on this subject rather than hijacking somebody else's?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending