The Student Room Group

Predicted A2 grades compared with AS

My son has just got his predicted grades through and is 2 UMS points below the grade boundary between A and B for one of his subjects. The school has predicted a B for his overall A2 mark and I thought this sounded a little harsh.

I had assumed that marks might improve a little between AS and A2 given:

Students have a smaller number of subjects to concentrate on, having dropped their weakest AS

Class sizes will be smaller giving better staff:student ratio

Cohort of students will be generally stronger, as generally those who found a subject hardest will drop it after AS

Students will be generally more focussed and committed to A2 exams than they were to AS exams as they have a lot more riding on it

Has anyone got any evidence - either factual or anecdotal - to back up my opinion, if so roughly what percentage increase would be a reasonable assumption?

To my mind he already has 158 of the 320 marks he needs for an A grade and next year he needs a minimum of 162/200 (81%) from his A2 in order to get an A grade overall, which although not underestimating how much work it will be to achieve this, this does not seem a massive stretch given that he got 79% for his AS result.

Not sure whether it's worth me challenging the school or not and would like some evidence before I do so!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It's not worth challenging as its unlikely teachers will change what they predict... In the end they have to be professional and make it as accurate as possible, without hurting the rep of the school to universities. If they think the student won't produce the work to the standard, then so be it. They probably seen hundreds of students of similar ability and so have experience.

I can only imagine reason behind the prediction is AS is MUCH easier... Even if you have the pressures of 4 or 5 subjects and so if someone is only a few ums below an A then, there is a higher 'chance' he will score equivalent or less in A2. Even with the smaller classes/'better' students, it's mainly about hard work of the individual and so many try but do not live up to predictions. Teachers experiences of failed expectations and promises.

In the end your 'son' can only show the teacher he's up for the challenge of A2 by producing high quality work consistently and showing commitment. Your son has to change the mind of the teacher rather than the parent. It's early days anyway, so lots of time to show the new work ethic
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It would certainly be worth saying something! It seems to be common practice to give a predicted grade of one grade higher than the AS grade, so a strong A in your son's case. It may also be worth having one of the papers remarked - seeing as he's so close, his overall grade is likely to go up (there are often a few extra marks to be found, especially on longer papers), and if he receives an A following a remark, then there is no reason at all for them not to predict an A grade. If a remark is not advised, then you and your son could ask for a meeting together with your son's teacher and head of sixth form, to discuss the situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I am 4 away from an A in a subject. My teacher originally predicted me a B but I kindly asked her to change it to an A. She complied but we had a little chat about how I would need to work harder and the consequences if I don't.

It is possible, and your son should be allowed the chance.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by planahead
X

May I ask what subject this involves? I know based on experience from my school that some departments are much more lenient than others when predicting grades for various reasons. I know that for some subjects, there is quite a jump in difficulty and so although students invest more time sometimes it just isn't enough if concepts are difficult, e.g. Physics, Chemistry, etc. Another reason is that A2 exams are considerably harder the school are less inclined to predict the higher grade.

Have you asked for a remark? Some exams which were subject to opinion may change after a remark, I know my friend went from an E in economics to a B. It may be worth the risk/money.
Original post by RosieEPQ
It would certainly be worth saying something! It seems to be common practice to give a predicted grade of one grade higher than the AS grade, so a strong A in your son's case. It may also be worth having one of the biology papers remarked - seeing as he's so close, his overall grade is likely to go up (there are often a few extra marks to be found, especially on longer papers), and if he receives an A following a remark, then there is no reason at all for them not to predict an A grade. If a remark is not advised, then you and your son could ask for a meeting together with your son's biology teacher and head of sixth form, to discuss the situation.

I don't think he specified what subject this involved? :confused:
Reply 6
Original post by theCreator
I don't think he specified what subject this involved? :confused:

Oops! You're right - I was thinking of a friend who was in a similar situation with his biology :colondollar:
My son has just got his predicted grades through and is 2 UMS points below the grade boundary between A and B for one of his subjects. The school has predicted a B for his overall A2 mark and I thought this sounded a little harsh.

I had assumed that marks might improve a little between AS and A2 given:

Students have a smaller number of subjects to concentrate on, having dropped their weakest AS

Class sizes will be smaller giving better staff:student ratio

Cohort of students will be generally stronger, as generally those who found a subject hardest will drop it after AS

Students will be generally more focussed and committed to A2 exams than they were to AS exams as they have a lot more riding on it

Has anyone got any evidence - either factual or anecdotal - to back up my opinion, if so roughly what percentage increase would be a reasonable assumption?

To my mind he already has 158 of the 320 marks he needs for an A grade and next year he needs a minimum of 162/200 (81%) from his A2 in order to get an A grade overall, which although not underestimating how much work it will be to achieve this, this does not seem a massive stretch given that he got 79% for his AS result.

Not sure whether it's worth me challenging the school or not and would like some evidence before I do so!

The reasons you gave are true. It worked out for me, as I saw all of my grades increase by at least one grade after A2 (History increased by two). However teachers are understandably apprehensive with regards to predictions because if a student fails to meet their predicted grades, not only are their uni chances put in jeopardy but future uni applications from students at the school could be tainted by the over prediction and it will not look good on the teacher internally either.

Rather than you speaking to the teacher, why don't you suggest to your son that he does a couple of timed exam essays based on the lower AS module spec to prove that he is capable of improving with a resit & that his 'poor' exam performance was only bad luck? I did this when I wanted to be predicted two grades higher for one of my subjects and it worked, so I don't see why a teacher shouldn't predict one grade up if they see some strong essays.

Whether he does resit the poorer module is up to him - two UMS are not hard to make up in the A2 modules. Perhaps he can register for it for the teacher's peace of mind but he doesn't have to take it seriously.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by theCreator
May I ask what subject this involves? I know based on experience from my school that some departments are much more lenient than others when predicting grades for various reasons. I know that for some subjects, there is quite a jump in difficulty and so although students invest more time sometimes it just isn't enough if concepts are difficult, e.g. Physics, Chemistry, etc. Another reason is that A2 exams are considerably harder the school are less inclined to predict the higher grade.

Have you asked for a remark? Some exams which were subject to opinion may change after a remark, I know my friend went from an E in economics to a B. It may be worth the risk/money.

Music Technology (Edexcel) which is heavily coursework biased. The school is paying for a remark of the coursework as the teacher says in his opinion it was a "safe" A. I don't blame him as it seems to be the school's policy that they only predict AS results other than in extenuating circumstances.

We'll wait for the remark and if that doesn't yield a couple of extra marks we'll speak to the school, as suggested. Thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Music Technology (Edexcel) which is heavily coursework biased. The school is paying for a remark of the coursework as the teacher says in his opinion it was a "safe" A. I don't blame him as it seems to be the school's policy that they only predict AS results other than in extenuating circumstances.

We'll wait for the remark and if that doesn't yield a couple of extra marks we'll speak to the school, as suggested. Thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think with Music Technology, being that it's heavily coursework based, you should probably follow it up with his teacher. On the other hand I see he's planning to do Spanish and Portugese, so honestly you shouldn't worry too much, it isn't a relevant subject to his course so uni's won't care too much about what he gets, obviously a predicted A would help but only marginally to be honest.
I got ABC at AS and my teachers predicted my the same grades at A2 - I was pretty screwed in terms of applying to the universities I wanted to go to on the basis of my grades (for law). I tried talking to some of my teachers and they wouldn't change their mind. At parents' evening, my mum raised the issue and they still refused. I ended up applying with my predicted grades of ABC and got 4/5 offers (Leicester, Sussex, Kent, Brunel and rejected by Exeter). It was more stubbornness on my part but it paid off because I'm going to Leicester to do law in September.

I was pretty annoyed though. Every single person I know of in my year got predicted higher grades than they did at AS in at least one of their subjects. Some got Bs in maths and got predicted A*s lol. I don't think I got the high end of my grades in my subjects (except English) but with a few retakes I got ABB (still could've done much better but I got into my first choice so I'm happy).

From my experience, while I was frustrated - with myself for slacking at AS and my teachers - I didn't find my predicted grades a major barrier (in hindsight anyway).
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just heard back from the school - the re-mark has yielded an extra (wait for it!) - 14 UMS Marks!

Yes, FOURTEEN!!!

That takes him from 2 below the grade A/B grade boundary to 12 marks over it!

We are just waiting for the inevitable news that his predicted grades have changed too.

Panic over!

Quick Reply

Latest