The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i was offered:

Oxford - AAB, with an A in geography, excluding general studies
Durham - AAB, anyway, excluding general studies (BA)
Exeter - ABC, with an A geography, excluding general studies (BA)
Southampton - ABB, with an A in geography, excluding general studies (BA) (someone in my school got an offer of AAB)
Nottingham - AAB, with an A in geography, excluding general studies (BA)

so all bar durham required an A in geography, and ALL excluded general studies.
Reply 21
vicky600
What is the best uni for geography??

it really depends on what you want to do.i for example was limited in choice cos i didnt really want to do much/any physical, even in the first year. obv oxbridge etc are all up the top, but don't just go on league tables whatever you do. for example portsmouth (one of the better new uni's) is about 40th in the times but about 8th in the guardian.
i saw you a level subjects & just to warn you that a lot don't take g.studies & i'm not sure what some of the top uni's will make of textiles - they like traditional academic subjects.

my offers to give you an idea ( i wanted a range!):

Hull - Human geography - 280points
Leeds - BA Geog - ABB
Nottingham - Geog, Business & Environment - AAB
Portsmouth - Human Geog - 240points
Reading - HUman geog - 300points
Sheffield - BA Geog - BBB

you also shouldn't feel you have to accept the highest ones if you are not as certain about the course or place - i'm predicted a's but i decided to put sheffield as my first choice! also dpn't feel you have to apply to the 'accepted' top uni's just because everyone else is & people expect you to.
Reply 22
I think newcastle does take general studies.. They shouldnt really discriminate me by rights that i have done textiles really, as it doesnt state anywere any recommended subjects..
also wen we had our oxbrigde meeting, they sed that all of the subjects at our 6th form were highly considered there. so it shunt be different any were else.
Reply 23
vicky600
I think newcastle does take general studies.. They shouldnt really discriminate me by rights that i have done textiles really, as it doesnt state anywere any recommended subjects..
also wen we had our oxbrigde meeting, they sed that all of the subjects at our 6th form were highly considered there. so it shunt be different any were else.

You said that you did Geography and Maths as well right? So long as you have two of the more "traditional" subjects, then you should probably be OK anyway.
Reply 24
yea, it also says in the Newcastle prospectus that they will also take into account any AS subjects that have been done, etc.
I am predicted a C/D in Maths, but ive been told just doing the course looks good. I know a better grade would be good, but i would be happy with a C
emzie
i was offered:

Oxford - AAB, with an A in geography, excluding general studies
Durham - AAB, anyway, excluding general studies (BA)
Exeter - ABC, with an A geography, excluding general studies (BA)
Southampton - ABB, with an A in geography, excluding general studies (BA) (someone in my school got an offer of AAB)
Nottingham - AAB, with an A in geography, excluding general studies (BA)

so all bar durham required an A in geography, and ALL excluded general studies.

Wow, they are all the places (bar Oxford) i'm thinking of applying to next year for BA geog :smile:
amyitfc
it really depends on what you want to do.i for example was limited in choice cos i didnt really want to do much/any physical, even in the first year. obv oxbridge etc are all up the top, but don't just go on league tables whatever you do. for example portsmouth (one of the better new uni's) is about 40th in the times but about 8th in the guardian.
i saw you a level subjects & just to warn you that a lot don't take g.studies & i'm not sure what some of the top uni's will make of textiles - they like traditional academic subjects.

my offers to give you an idea ( i wanted a range!):

Hull - Human geography - 280points
Leeds - BA Geog - ABB
Nottingham - Geog, Business & Environment - AAB
Portsmouth - Human Geog - 240points
Reading - HUman geog - 300points
Sheffield - BA Geog - BBB

you also shouldn't feel you have to accept the highest ones if you are not as certain about the course or place - i'm predicted a's but i decided to put sheffield as my first choice! also dpn't feel you have to apply to the 'accepted' top uni's just because everyone else is & people expect you to.

Just out of interest why have you chosen Sheffield? :smile:
Reply 27
SiAnY
Just out of interest why have you chosen Sheffield? :smile:

hi - out of all th eopen days it was always one of my preferred ones. i realised soon after applying that i didnt want to do the notts course, i wnet to the leeds for 1st time after i had an offer & found out the course was diff to what prospectus said (i thought it waslike sheff where you dont have to do any physical, but its not anymore), i liked reading & sheffield. portsmouth was nice place but it was really only a backup.hull i picked the day i was writng my ucas form - i didnt have a 6th choice & i picked it out of a few for no particular reason.
there you go - long winded but you did ask!
If I'm not wrong, my friend was offered:

Leeds
Mancester
Nottingham
Birmingham
Southampton/Sheffield? Not sure..
All BBB-ABB offers. Excluding General Studies.

Durham - AAB with an A in Geography.
Reply 29
lilsunflower
If I'm not wrong, my friend was offered:

Leeds
Mancester
Nottingham
Birmingham
Southampton/Sheffield? Not sure..
All BBB-ABB offers. Excluding General Studies.

Durham - AAB with an A in Geography.

is she overseas?? if so, they usually give lower offers anyway, anything less than AAB for notts is pretty unusual (out of the tons of people I know only 1 got lower than AAB (they got ABB). Tis odd though that Durham asked for an A in geog instead of 'anyway'.

Latest

Trending

Trending