The Student Room Group

Official Higher English 2013-2014 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samraf
How much did your folio affect your grade? Did it boost your grade or did you have to work hard to compensate for it? What was your percentage (if you know)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The folio can certainly boost your grade if you put enough work into it. I got an A1, however, I'd say this was more down to my folio (18/20), as the marks I got for the other sections were decidedly average IIRC. You probably want to ensure a roughly even spread across the folio, crit essays, and the CR, though, so there's no pressure for you to perform extremely highly in one section to compensate.
I got 23 for one of my essays on 'the crucible' and Im pretty sure I can adapt the essay to fit most questions on the play (using same quotes, rough analysis etc). Is it a good idea to do this? Or should I reshape essays and use completely different quotes and analysis depending on the question? Ive heard different things from people..
Reply 62
Original post by Pennyarcade
I got 23 for one of my essays on 'the crucible' and Im pretty sure I can adapt the essay to fit most questions on the play (using same quotes, rough analysis etc). Is it a good idea to do this? Or should I reshape essays and use completely different quotes and analysis depending on the question? Ive heard different things from people..

Personally, I would only completely 'copy' the essay if the exact question came up. If one with similar wording on the same theme then I would predominantly use the same quotes and analysis but altering the words slightly so as it answers the question. If the question is on something else then I would start from scratch and think how I can that answer. It doesn't mean you couldn't use some similar quotes or analysis but you should be flexible. Remember it is all about answering the question.
Original post by kylerfc
Personally, I would only completely 'copy' the essay if the exact question came up. If one with similar wording on the same theme then I would predominantly use the same quotes and analysis but altering the words slightly so as it answers the question. If the question is on something else then I would start from scratch and think how I can that answer. It doesn't mean you couldn't use some similar quotes or analysis but you should be flexible. Remember it is all about answering the question.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind
Reply 64
What books are you guys doing? We're doing Sunset Song and Macbeth. Has anyone compiled some good quotes yet?
Original post by NinetyOne
What books are you guys doing? We're doing Sunset Song and Macbeth. Has anyone compiled some good quotes yet?

For prose, we're doing Gatsby :biggrin: and for drama we're doing A Streetcar Named Desire, which we're starting next week.
Reply 66

I'm doing The Cone Gatherers and Hamlet.

We did Macbeth for Int 2 though.
1984 and Macbeth...

Macbeth makes me want to commit
Reply 68
^^ Macbeth's quite easy to write about though compared to some of the other shakespeare stuff because like any essay to do with Macbeth as a character is ambition

just be glad you're not doing macbeth AND the cone gatherers; i've never read a worse book in my life
Othello is really becoming the bane of my life. I don't really know how to analyse Shakespeare effectively (as shown in S3 when I failed or came close to failing every Macbeth essay). This just worries me because I have no choice about using Othello for my prelim as by then it'll be the only text we studied that's not a play. Aaaah :frown:
We are doing
The Great Gatsby
The Crucible

Anyone...
How can you improve your textual analysis for future nabs? Someone help as I think I've f*cked my recent nab up :'(

SOS

Posted from TSR Mobile
My class is doing the great gatsby and the glass menagerie

Have just finished the glass menagerie, anyone else doing it? What are your thoughts?

Personally im so glad we're done! I thought it was one of the most boring plays ever!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw Higher English, how I've missed you so. :smile:

Hope you guys are doing well and keeping on top of things - Higher English will be but a distant memory sooner than you think.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
I sat int 2 last year and have the same teacher for higher... we are doing some of the same texts but i dont think she is a good teacher. We are doing strange texts which nobody has heard of haha and i think we are doing too many:

. The Iolaire- poetry
. Digging- poetry
. Shooting an Elephant- non fiction prose
. The Crucible- drama
. The Changeling- prose

Should i just focus on 2/3 texts to keep the load down?
Original post by lala4
I sat int 2 last year and have the same teacher for higher... we are doing some of the same texts but i dont think she is a good teacher. We are doing strange texts which nobody has heard of haha and i think we are doing too many:

. The Iolaire- poetry
. Digging- poetry
. Shooting an Elephant- non fiction prose
. The Crucible- drama
. The Changeling- prose

Should i just focus on 2/3 texts to keep the load down?

I would recommend that. Choose the ones that you feel most comfortable with and the ones you know/understand the most. :smile:
Reply 75

The Bell Jar by Slyvia Plath, and the we're going to do The Crucible
Reply 76
Original post by greenladybird
For prose, we're doing Gatsby :biggrin: and for drama we're doing A Streetcar Named Desire, which we're starting next week.

My class are doing these as well! Already completed Streetcar (fantastic play) and we're about half way through Gatsby.
Original post by Y2J97
My class are doing these as well! Already completed Streetcar (fantastic play) and we're about half way through Gatsby.

Yay!
We're the opposite, we did Gatsby first and we're starting Streetcar in the next few days I think :smile:
Reply 78
Higher English is one of my favourite subjects right now! I wasn't expecting that in the slightest! My class has done a non-fiction, 'Letter to Daniel', and we finished 'Romeo and Juliet' a few weeks ago. We're starting 'The Devil's Wife' poem this week and we'll be doing 'The Great Gatsby' after Christmas if things go to plan. Our teacher wants our first drafts of the discursive/persuasive essay before Christmas and we've done our personal essays. We did our textual analysis NAB a couple of weeks ago too and I got 23/30 but quite a few people in the class failed so we'll probably be doing some kind of revision on that soon. Did our second timed essay last Friday but my first one didn't go very well (13/25) so I'm not predicting any great improvement for this one. How's everyone else getting to grips with timed essays? Any advice to make it easier? I struggle with time constraints so I get the feeling the essays are going to be what holds me back :smile:
Can someone give me am example of an answer to an analysis question
I.e. Quote, technique, connotation, denotation & writers purpose

Because every time I do one I seem to do pretty crappy :frown:
I need to improve my textual analysis!
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending