The Student Room Group

Official Higher English 2013-2014 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DavidL97
Did you not take your copy? I always take mine :P

No I didnt... I had no idea that we were allowed to or else i would have! Opps! :colondollar: hahaa
Thanks so much for posting papers everyone who did!
Original post by inapanic
thank you :smile:was scared in case they marked it as question 2! and it wouldn't have be relevant to the question at all. would I get a lesser mark for stupidity though?
I just panicked as I hated all the drama questions

No, you won't get a lower mark, as long as it's obvious which question you are addressing.

So no need to panic!

Probably a good idea not to do it again, mind you!
Reply 1183
I can never judge how well I did in a close reading but looking back on the questions I'm worrying that I may have misunderstood them and written the wrong thing I.e for the nostalgic question I said the word choice such as "yearningly" left Britain looking back and wanting to return to the way things were. My critical essays were absolutely appaling I would be lucky if I even got 15 for my cone gatherers. I managed to finish them in time(just) but looking back I'm really disappointed with them, they were so basic and plain. I'm really upset after that exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hope I get above 35 in close reading
Original post by carolx
I can never judge how well I did in a close reading but looking back on the questions I'm worrying that I may have misunderstood them and written the wrong thing I.e for the nostalgic question I said the word choice such as "yearningly" left Britain looking back and wanting to return to the way things were. My critical essays were absolutely appealing I would be lucky if I even got 15 for my cone gatherers. I managed to finish them in time(just) but looking back I'm really disappointed with them, they were so basic and plain. I'm really upset after that exam.

Remember you have your folio which will boost your mark as well! You are not the only one who ****ed up, I did okay in the close reading, some mistakes like you, one of my essays was okay and my other one was just.. Let's just say you can totally tell I wouldn't be bothered with the 2nd essay XD
The cake we all deserved after the critical essays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carolx
I can never judge how well I did in a close reading but looking back on the questions I'm worrying that I may have misunderstood them and written the wrong thing I.e for the nostalgic question I said the word choice such as "yearningly" left Britain looking back and wanting to return to the way things were. My critical essays were absolutely appaling I would be lucky if I even got 15 for my cone gatherers. I managed to finish them in time(just) but looking back I'm really disappointed with them, they were so basic and plain. I'm really upset after that exam.

Don't worry; if it helps, I put 'yearningly' and was really confident with that answer?

They know you're working under exam conditions too so essays your teacher may mark as 15, may still get 17 and 19:biggrin: I've written basic essays in the past and got them back with 21 so don't doubt yourself:smile:

Plus your folio still helps:biggrin:
Reply 1188
I just really real that both aspects of the examination didn't go to well. I tried to give more answers than required for the close reading but use it that if they were completely misunderstood and didn't fully answer the question. I felt that my 1st essay was ok but like you my second one was an absolute, messy disaster, the shortage of time really affected both of my essays as I find that in my essays I quote and do lots of elaboration and analysis rather than doing little paragraphs in many scenes, characters ect
Original post by lovebug16
Anyone else think the close reading was wierd? Had no imagery, no link questions? There was so much word choice.

Like apart of the sentence structure one at the beginning(NO LISTS NO LISTS) most of it was either easy analysis examples or understanding questions... It was weird.
Reply 1190
Original post by Claire__
Don't worry; if it helps, I put 'yearningly' and was really confident with that answer?

They know you're working under exam conditions too so essays your teacher may mark as 15, may still get 17 and 19:biggrin: I've written basic essays in the past and got them back with 21 so don't doubt yourself:smile:

Plus your folio still helps:biggrin:

Thank you that makes me feel a little bit better :smile::smile:
Original post by tegami
Was there an extended metaphor in the close reading about livestock farming? I had the quotes "slaughter", "butchered" and "fodder" and then went on to analyse them for a whole page. Was it even an extended metaphor? :confused:

YES oh my god I didn't even notice that; you'll definitely get marks for that. :smile:
Original post by Jack_Burton
Because it didn't ask for any imagery, doesn't mean there wasn't any. I done a few. Hope they are alright.

"Engraved on the consciousness" (or something like that) was one of the ones I did.
I've just spent the last 5 hours being extremely ill. Yay for post exam sickness! :smile: I found the CR ok; apart from those damn double 4 mark questions next to each other!

The critical essays weren't TOO bad.. I just tried to be flexible with a rough essay plan in my head. I also wrote it out on the spare lined paper the invigilator can give you. I was using a word processor for the exam, and my invigilator commented on how fast I type...

Yeah, stress does things to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raabiah
I wrote about how Duror's obsession with Callum and his complicated domestic issues made him vulnerable to the effect of evil and how this led to his demise.
Ahhh! So worried!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^I wrote something similar. I basically talked about Duror's madness being his vulnerability and went into the whole isolation thing; came up with a weird analysis about how he couldn't find satisfaction because he had inherited a disability of the mind, basically but i don't even know:smile: Don't worry; sounds like a great essay:smile:
Original post by Raabiah
What character did you choose for the vulnerability Q in the cone gatherers?
I wrote about Duror and am so worried about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Duror; I don't think I could've gotten a good essay out of Calum if I'm honest and everyone I know wrote about Duror. I suppose Lady Runcie Campbell would be possible but Duror was most obvious. As long as you wrote about his madness, lack of control, difficult home life etc it should be fine:smile:
Original post by Claire__
YES oh my god I didn't even notice that; you'll definitely get marks for that. :smile:

Thank you!! None of my friends wrote about it either and I thought I was completely wrong but I'm so glad that someone thinks I was right :biggrin:
Original post by tegami
Thank you!! None of my friends wrote about it either and I thought I was completely wrong but I'm so glad that someone thinks I was right :biggrin:

Like the examples themselves could be used on their own(I put 'butchering'- indicates like physical harm because a butcher cuts up meat so it's the destruction basicaly?) so if you've analysed them in detail it should be fine. Plus anything in close reading can be right if you justify it so if you said something about how like people were treated like animals, were expendable, etc. you should get the marks:biggrin:!

(I'm just annoyed I didn't notice it...:wink:)
Reply 1198
Oh no I did Calum as being a vulnerable character. I discussed Durors insanity did a little bit about Calums character and how his deformity leaves him vulnerable due to Durors uncontrollable hatred for deformities and then related back to the questions referring to the deer drive as the important scene which revealed the extent of his vulnerability as he was strongly compassionate towards animals etc
Does that sound like it would fit the question or did I make the wrong choice and should have gone for Duror instead ? :eek:
So, will the grade boundaries be higher or lower than last year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending