The Student Room Group

Official Higher English 2013-2014 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by laurenmhari
On one of my essays it asked to "show how this adds to your overall response of the play" or something like that!

I only mentioned this in the conclusion? Will I get a lower mark based on this? Or is the second part of the question less important - like you don't have to refer to it word for word as much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if it's any consolation for my second essay I only answered the second part of the question in my conclusion and it was very very brief as I run out of time for it, so we're on the same boat
For my drama critical essay I did the first essay task. I was doing Othello so spoke about Desdemona's rejection. Will it be okay if I didn't use any quotes by Desdemona? I spoke about Othello's rejection of Desdemona and how it's used to explore his obsessive personality rather than Desdemona's feeling of rejection. I think I forgot to put a full stop at the end of my conclusion...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Airess3
I did the shock essay for Gatsby, about Tom Buchanan being irresponsible which led to Myrtle's death and the people from the East being irresponsible at Gatsby's parties. Only had time to write about those two. What did you write about?

The shock of gatsbys death (incident) and then linked this back to "was Daisy driving? I said. Yes. He said after a moment" because it suggested that Gatsby was not to blame, thus his death for "murdering" myrtle was a shock to the reader and linked this to the shallowness of the UC as well as Daisy's characterisation.

I did Gatsby's characterisation, the fact he was portrayed as determined to achieve repeating the past- the shock there being that he wants to achieve something impossible. I then went on to talk of his character at the climax, ch7, how the reader have never saw Gatsby so broken as a character- shock- then linked this to the theme of the Decline of the American Dream and then for my 3rd seal of this paragraph I used the quote about him being in the bush, showing again his determined character- which shocked the reader considering we saw him broken as well as the fact the DoAD illustrated his dream was gone so it was a shock that he was determined to achieve it.

Then for my third section I talked about the characterisation of Tom and Daisy and how it was such a shock to the reader
The fact Tom was looking to the optimism in his mistresses death at the time it took place, whilst standing next to her husband- shocked the reader because it was his mistress as well as in reality there is no optimistic aspects of a healthy woman's murder. I then talked of Daisy's character- how at Gatsby's funeral she hadn't sent a message or a flower- shocking the reader due to the fact she had suggested feelings of love towards Gatsby throughout, the fact she never sent anything or attended conveyed her cruel, shallow, careless character as well as the fact I again, talked of in reality- when someone you are close to dies- particularly when there are connections/relations you would not just blank them from your life regardless of the situation- when they're innocent! And therefore this shocked the reader at the end clarifying the characters and also I had a running theme throughout of the shallowness of the UC and I clarified it with this quote :smile:

I hope that essay summary seems okay haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1383
How can you guys provide such an I depth summary of your essays I can barely remember which quotes I used to be honest haha stressing out
Original post by carolx
How can you guys provide such an I depth summary of your essays I can barely remember which quotes I used to be honest haha stressing out

Haha I dunno, for my drama one I couldn't! I guess I enjoyed writing the prose one hence remembering :smile: you will have done fine!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1385
Desperately trying to find the answers scheme to the close reading exam but I can't find one anywhere, teachers from other schools usually post them by now...
Reply 1386
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Haha I dunno, for my drama one I couldn't! I guess I enjoyed writing the prose one hence remembering :smile: you will have done fine!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My biggest worry is that my essays weren't sophisticated enough especially my second essay which was a complete disaster and barely made any sense
For CR, Did anyone quote the word "stretching" to show the scale of the war?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
The shock of gatsbys death (incident) and then linked this back to "was Daisy driving? I said. Yes. He said after a moment" because it suggested that Gatsby was not to blame, thus his death for "murdering" myrtle was a shock to the reader and linked this to the shallowness of the UC as well as Daisy's characterisation.

I did Gatsby's characterisation, the fact he was portrayed as determined to achieve repeating the past- the shock there being that he wants to achieve something impossible. I then went on to talk of his character at the climax, ch7, how the reader have never saw Gatsby so broken as a character- shock- then linked this to the theme of the Decline of the American Dream and then for my 3rd seal of this paragraph I used the quote about him being in the bush, showing again his determined character- which shocked the reader considering we saw him broken as well as the fact the DoAD illustrated his dream was gone so it was a shock that he was determined to achieve it.

Then for my third section I talked about the characterisation of Tom and Daisy and how it was such a shock to the reader
The fact Tom was looking to the optimism in his mistresses death at the time it took place, whilst standing next to her husband- shocked the reader because it was his mistress as well as in reality there is no optimistic aspects of a healthy woman's murder. I then talked of Daisy's character- how at Gatsby's funeral she hadn't sent a message or a flower- shocking the reader due to the fact she had suggested feelings of love towards Gatsby throughout, the fact she never sent anything or attended conveyed her cruel, shallow, careless character as well as the fact I again, talked of in reality- when someone you are close to dies- particularly when there are connections/relations you would not just blank them from your life regardless of the situation- when they're innocent! And therefore this shocked the reader at the end clarifying the characters and also I had a running theme throughout of the shallowness of the UC and I clarified it with this quote :smile:

I hope that essay summary seems okay haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good! I was gonna write about Daisy's character too but I made my other essay WAY TOO LONG so didn't have time.:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airess3
That's really good! I was gonna write about Daisy's character too but I made my other essay WAY TOO LONG so didn't have time.:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you:smile: I hope it's good enough to get me a strong grade😜 I'm sure your essays were fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EllaGwenn
50 each?! Oh shoot

No, marked out of 25 each. A total of 50 possible marks, the reduced to represent 20% of the total marks available.
Original post by Melodysx
Thanks for your help. So I will still get marks for it even though I started talking about the opening scene of another act ?

You'll still get marked on what you write but obviously not full marks if you don't address the question properly.

However, you will be given credit for what you've written.
Original post by idontknow...
What'll happen if you put more than 3 areas of agreement for the last question? I know in other subjects you'll get marks off for writing more than it specifically asks you, since there's a chance if you write down loads of things you'll get the marks. Is that the same for English? (I only wrote 3, just wondering though)

No, you won't be penalised. All your answers will be considered and the 3 correct ones given marks. It's possible that one of your 4 was wrong, so doing extra was a sensible approach.
Original post by carolx
Well if it's any consolation for my second essay I only answered the second part of the question in my conclusion and it was very very brief as I run out of time for it, so we're on the same boat

I think we'll be fine then! As long as we answered the first part throughout😮

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1394
Did question 1 for Hamlet, wrote about his isolation. It was a bit short but what I wrote was decent.
Question 5 for To Kill a Mockingbird, the theme of courage. I already had this essay prepared so it was pretty good.
Reply 1395
Original post by stephaniebtw
I done Othello for the opening scene and spoke about how the night time setting reflects iago's evil character and it continued through other aspects in the play

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh i never even thought about that, thats a really good point, thanks:smile:
Reply 1396
Does anybody happen to have The Catcher in the Rye or Death of a Salesman as their texts?
Original post by jakebell1
No, marked out of 25 each. A total of 50 possible marks, the reduced to represent 20% of the total marks available.

Ah, thank you!
I did catcher in the rye but i thought the questions in the novel section were far hard to link to catcher so i ended up doing macbeth(Q3) and the poem "in mrs tilcher's class"(the question about a credible persona)

I hope the sqa get alot of abuse for those questions because i thought they were shocking!
Reply 1399
For the question on 'choose a poem where two or more of the following techniques are used: sound, rhyme, rhythm and imagery' do you think I would get penalised for mainly discussing more about the imagery and going in to some detail about the others? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending