MA at Cam Watch

This discussion is closed.
jazzanova
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I heard from someone that if you do some extra work in your third year as an undergraduate you can earn your MA ('upgrade' almost from a BA to an MA) in the subject your studying? Well I heard it from a guy who's going to study Law at Sidney Sussex -maybe its just Arts subjects - but is that true?
Minta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can automatically upgrade from a BA to an MA without doing any extra work, as long as 21 terms have passed since you matriculated (and presumably as long as you pay for the privilege). Hence a Cambridge MA isn't a postgrad qualification like it is at other unis - the Cam version is an MPhil.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
You can automatically upgrade from a BA to an MA without doing any extra work, as long as 21 terms have passed since you matriculated (and presumably as long as you pay for the privilege). Hence a Cambridge MA isn't a postgrad qualification like it is at other unis - the Cam version is an MPhil.
Indeed, not extra work is involved. Just a small fee!

I think the whole system is silly though - as a regular MA from Cambs becomes an MPhil, and a lot of people out their automatically assume a MPhil is a failed PhD. Silly craziness! And pointless really! I mean MA Cantab, is read as BA or whatever by most people anyway! Well most people appart from ammericans it would seem
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.28%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.52%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.84%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.36%

Watched Threads