The Student Room Group

Just had my first car accident, please help.

So today I had my first car accident, it was completely my fault. It was at the traffic lights, all the cars where stopped and a banged the car infront of me (was driving too fast), fortunately (my nor his car was damaged much because I braked just in time for it not to bang so badly, it did bang though. Now, he obviously went MENTAL and I begged him not to claim insurance as I only passed my driving test last year and my insurance will go sky high. He agreed and took my number down and said he will get back to me with the amount due for his damages. He only has a few scratches but god knows how much he will ask of me, it can be from 100 to 500 I have no idea, My only issue is that, he only has a few scratches, do you think he may lie on how much I owe him? Do you think it's better for insurance to get involved if he asks for 500 plus. I don't know what to do, I take full responsibility but I'm so worried because I don't have that amount of money. Please someone help.
Reply 1
Original post by supernature
So today I had my first car accident, it was completely my fault. It was at the traffic lights, all the cars where stopped and a banged the car infront of me (was driving too fast), fortunately (my nor his car was damaged much because I braked just in time for it not to bang so badly, it did bang though. Now, he obviously went MENTAL and I begged him not to claim insurance as I only passed my driving test last year and my insurance will go sky high. He agreed and took my number down and said he will get back to me with the amount due for his damages. He only has a few scratches but god knows how much he will ask of me, it can be from 100 to 500 I have no idea, My only issue is that, he only has a few scratches, do you think he may lie on how much I owe him? Do you think it's better for insurance to get involved if he asks for 500 plus. I don't know what to do, I take full responsibility but I'm so worried because I don't have that amount of money. Please someone help.

Did u get pictures? ? Future reference always take pictures of both cars so they cant exaggerate. If the quote is moree that 200 I would go through insurance as a couple scratches would mostly be paint. Unless the bumber wss damaged and needs replacing, all depending on the car but 200 is max imo.

Dont fret too much these things happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
There could be internal damage that they would not be aware of until the car is looked at properly, so it may still cost a lot to repair.
Reply 3
Original post by Clique
Did u get pictures? ? Future reference always take pictures of both cars so they cant exaggerate. If the quote is moree that 200 I would go through insurance as a couple scratches would mostly be paint. Unless the bumber wss damaged and needs replacing, all depending on the car but 200 is max imo.

Dont fret too much these things happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I never, I had no idea what to do. He was like a 50 year odd man who was incredibly patronizing. I know for a fact it wasn't that bad, a few scratches, DAMN I wish I got pictures that would have been good. If I do get insurance involved, will my insurance go sky high though as it will be on my record? Or should I ask for receipts from him?
Hey :smile: I don't want to be a downer and you should stay hopeful but when this happened to me and the girl said I could pay cash she phoned back a few days later telling me was going to claim for whiplash. The cheeky bitch even tried to claim for two people saying there was someone else in her car! There was a little dent on my car and nothing on hers. My insurance went sky high so I stopped driving til it went back down which it has now. You may be lucky and I hope this guy sticks to his word. It'll take a while to forget but you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 5
No I never, I had no idea what to do. He was like a 50 year odd man who was incredibly patronizing. I know for a fact it wasn't that bad, a few scratches, DAMN I wish I got pictures that would have been good. If I do get insurance involved, will my insurance go sky high though as it will be on my record? Or should I ask for receipts from him?

Make sure you get a list of the exact work needed and the try get the garage name say "your dad wanted to confirm". Then u can call up ask for a quote and also ring a few other garages - explain the situation giving them the car type and damage list and ask for a rough quote. If his price is way over negotiate with the guy with rhe price offer a dif garage for him to go to. If its still unreasonable go through insurance, possible try ask your mum to say she was the driver and take the hit, (this has its own risk). But it could effect your insurance majorly unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. Take pictures
2. Get a 2nd quote for the work that needs doing and say "Hey buddy, it only costs xxx amount with (car company)

Also what car was it?

Just give him this for xmas and tell him to go on his bike

simoniz-fix-it-pro-pen.jpg
Sorry to hear that, man :frown:

It's so easy, just touch someone else and you're in so much trouble. I love driving off-road, quadbiking and track but this is why I am too scared to ever drive on the road with people... That and the ridiculous cost of owning a vehicle.
Reply 8
As others have said, tell him to get a quote then get some yourself & compare. He should agree to the cheapest one if he's not a dickhead.
Reply 9
Your first car accident?... You say it like you expect more...
Hi, i know this thread has been inactive for a while but i had the same thing happen to me 3 days ago and i am so freaked out

I was slowing down at traffic lights and i had boots which had small heels on them, and so i went to brake but my foot slipped off and my heel caught the brake instead, so i didnt brake properly. i ended up bumping the car in front of me but at very slow speeds im talking below 5mph. The driver got out and i panicked so my car stalled and slightly hit her car again but even less than the first time. she came over to question me and i was completely unaware of what to do. she asked for my details, and stupidly it didnt occur to me to ask for hers...when inspecting the damage there was nothing wrong with either car, she had a towbar on the back of hers so i think i hit the towbar rather than the car and thats what prevented damage. she said she'll have her car checked up and if there was nothing wrong she wouldnt report it. if there was something, she would call me and claim. im now freaking out because i have no name or number for her and im in limbo i guess...how long does it take to get a car checked out, and what can i do about this? i didnt call insurance because if she wont claim then i dont want to report it and have my payments rise, but at the same time if she chooses to claim and reports it but i dont report it too then my insurance will get angry at me....im also scared to drive now. what should i do?
Original post by Chris20051106
Hi, i know this thread has been inactive for a while but i had the same thing happen to me 3 days ago and i am so freaked out

I was slowing down at traffic lights and i had boots which had small heels on them, and so i went to brake but my foot slipped off and my heel caught the brake instead, so i didnt brake properly. i ended up bumping the car in front of me but at very slow speeds im talking below 5mph. The driver got out and i panicked so my car stalled and slightly hit her car again but even less than the first time. she came over to question me and i was completely unaware of what to do. she asked for my details, and stupidly it didnt occur to me to ask for hers...when inspecting the damage there was nothing wrong with either car, she had a towbar on the back of hers so i think i hit the towbar rather than the car and thats what prevented damage. she said she'll have her car checked up and if there was nothing wrong she wouldnt report it. if there was something, she would call me and claim. im now freaking out because i have no name or number for her and im in limbo i guess...how long does it take to get a car checked out, and what can i do about this? i didnt call insurance because if she wont claim then i dont want to report it and have my payments rise, but at the same time if she chooses to claim and reports it but i dont report it too then my insurance will get angry at me....im also scared to drive now. what should i do?

This exactly happened to me today. It was at like 2mph and i hit her towbar. NO damage what-so ever on her car and she said she will check it out call me but im worried cause she wrote down all my details. I got hers and photos just in case. What happened in the end mate? Also did you tell you insurance company just in case?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am freaking out and scared to drive :smile:

Its quite possible that the car you bumped into could have been a motorcyclist, cyclist or another vulnerable road user. Such an incident would have way more serious consequences and imo, you deserve the book thrown at you. Dont forget that you would need to compensate the man not just for the damage, but for the inconvenience of getting him involved in an RTC which is a pain in the poop dispenser. If he had a custom paint job, or had some type of special paint work then these tend to cost quite a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest