Can ne1 recommend... Watch

This discussion is closed.
vicky600
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Can ne1 recommend anything that I would be able to do - Geography orientated, that i woule be able to put on my personal statement nextyear. please??
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vicky600)
Can ne1 recommend anything that I would be able to do - Geography orientated, that i woule be able to put on my personal statement nextyear. please??
Any kind of geography related Work experience, maybe travelling....stuff like that...show you have a real interest in the subject.

G
vicky600
Rep:
?
I alreedy know where the Job centre is thanks..

so G, should i just do a little bit of travelling around the Uk, to like different cities and into the country and that? because i havent really got the Money to go abroad.
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Someone I know spent the summer helping out in Africa for a charity. But you've got to be a really determined and interesting person to do something like that, it's not just for anyone.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I alreedy know where the Job centre is thanks..

so G, should i just do a little bit of travelling around the Uk, to like different cities and into the country and that? because i havent really got the Money to go abroad.
That might be an idea..i'm not too familiar with what they're looking for in geography applicants.

But i'd imagine if you do some travelling in the UK....like hiking in the Lake district or climbing mountains in wales or something like that...you could say on your personal statement that you've done it...and that you loved the experience and am eager to learn more about the science behind it...through studying geography at degree level.

Erm...travelling itself would be related to geography i'd imagine. I'm not sure what work experince there is though...sorry.

Someone applying for geography already may be able to help you more in that respect.

Just had a thought....a few friends of mine did something called 'World Challenge' last summer where they travelled to Brazil for 6-8 weeks in the hols...and spent time trekking around the entire country and through forest and stuff like that...and this year they're going to Borneo!!!! You might wanna see if you can find stuff out about that....cos they do projects in the months leading up to it to raise money to fund it....i don't think you actually spend much of your own money.

G
vicky600
Rep:
?
A in textiles, B in general studies , B in geography, c/d in maths.. , then al av me As in psych n Pe (thats if i take up PE after this Year.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://www.world-challenge.co.uk/

Here's the world challenge link for you...you should check it out...it'd be an amazing thing to have on your UCAS form!

G
vicky600
Rep:
?
that sounds cool. I have done hiking and stuff in the Lakes, with family, and when i was n year 5 and 6. But me and my brother were going to go up for a few days in the futures, and trek around to different youth hostels and stuff
vicky600
Rep:
?
(Original post by gzftan)
http://www.world-challenge.co.uk/

Here's the world challenge link for you...you should check it out...it'd be an amazing thing to have on your UCAS form!

G
thanks for the addy, ill take a look now
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that sounds cool. I have done hiking and stuff in the Lakes, with family, and when i was n year 5 and 6. But me and my brother were going to go up for a few days in the futures, and trek around to different youth hostels and stuff
So you could say something like...having travelled as a child in the Lake District...i developed a passion for it and would love the opportunity to take it further...blah..

G
vicky600
Rep:
?
thanks for your help. I dont need to apply until september, but it just gets a bit of knowledge doesnt it
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thanks for your help. I dont need to apply until september, but it just gets a bit of knowledge doesnt it
No problem!! Time flies between now and uni application time...so its good to get an early start on things!

G
vicky600
Rep:
?
walked along spurn point, n also been to whitby (thats got cliffs n stuff).. maybe that could have something in it?

Do you just have to emphasise things?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It always amazes me when people making silly Geography comments about if you have a degree in geography you will be able to locate a job centre. It just shows how dim and narrowminded you really are. There is a lot of science involved in geography.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
walked along spurn point, n also been to whitby (thats got cliffs n stuff).. maybe that could have something in it?

Do you just have to emphasise things?
Just do your best to make sure that your personal statement conveys that you are really interested in the subject...and how much you'd love study it at degree level...i'm sure your teachers will help you with it.

Btw- make sure they check it over for you....it's always a gd idea..cos they know about writing personal statements and references cos they've done it loads of times!

G
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
It always amazes me when people making silly Geography comments about if you have a degree in geography you will be able to locate a job centre. It just shows how dim and narrowminded you really are. There is a lot of science involved in geography.
Ah..you just gotta ignore ReturnofGnostic sometimes...he occassionally takes the whole ripping the piss out of someone too far.

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My roomie wrote a very good personal statement for geography.

She included stuff like countries she's visited, but more importantly, important things she saw in these countries that attracted her to the subject. Being an international student, it was easier for her.

Umm.. languages perhaps?

Include perhaps a project you've done in Geography.. sum it up in once sentence and say what you've learnt?

These are just suggestions. It's so hard to give ideas.. but I'm just trying.
vicky600
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilsunflower)
My roomie wrote a very good personal statement for geography.

She included stuff like countries she's visited, but more importantly, important things she saw in these countries that attracted her to the subject. Being an international student, it was easier for her.

Umm.. languages perhaps?

Include perhaps a project you've done in Geography.. sum it up in once sentence and say what you've learnt?

These are just suggestions. It's so hard to give ideas.. but I'm just trying.
Thanks for the ideas. It is hard. Im sure my teachers will help me, im just going to try and do a bit of travelling and stuff aswell.. maybe just around the Uk, but its still experience isnt it.
dOes your friend enjoy geography?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends what 'aspect' of Geog you're after, and where you live. i.e. if you live coastal, getting invovled with local ecol, geol and geog groups should be easy...

Or how about getting involved in teaching Geog to under privlegded children?

Or look at the Millenium Volunteers webs ite and see if they have any geog based projects in your area. MV is the new DoE. Most Unis are very impressed by it.

http://www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk/

HtH

Fx
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
With geography you will be able to locate the jobcentre after you've completed your geography degree.
actually Mr-Nothing-exists-outside-my-own-subjects, the analytic skills that you gain form the degree would i suspect be useful for pretty much any non-degree specific job, like an investment bank etc
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (172)
18.59%
No (560)
60.54%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.86%

Watched Threads