Can ne1 recommend... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Here are some 'stories' fromt he MV board....

Dan, 22
Dan knew he wanted to pursue a career in conservation but felt he lacked practical experience. He joined MV to get that experience, to gain new skills and make contacts to help him find the right sort of employment. Dan has worked on various conservation projects during his time as an MV including building a waterfall in a sensory open-air theatre. The area is used for recreational activities with young disabled people in the community. MV complemented his university studies and given him the experience he needs for a bright future in conservation.
WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW?

There are around 200 MV projects offering opportunities to young people in England (Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales run their own initiatives). Projects are very varied, but broad categories are:

Sports
Childcare
Mentoring
Literacy
Media
Environmental
Befriending
Tutoring
Activities can include:

Website design
Mentoring
Anti-bullying
Arts & crafts
Dance
Community media
Anti-racism
Drugs awareness
Video making
Victim support
Youth club helpers
Fundraising
Safety awareness information and advice to young people
Working with the elderly DJ-ing
Sports Coaching
Providing meals for people who have HIV and AIDS
Classroom assisting
Performing arts
Social care
Radio presenting and production
Working with people with disabilities
Crime prevention schemes
Helping the homeless
Training in first aid and emergency services
Events and entertainment

And the list goes on……..

You can find a project near you using our online project search.
vicky600
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Depends what 'aspect' of Geog you're after, and where you live. i.e. if you live coastal, getting invovled with local ecol, geol and geog groups should be easy...

Or how about getting involved in teaching Geog to under privlegded children?

Or look at the Millenium Volunteers webs ite and see if they have any geog based projects in your area. MV is the new DoE. Most Unis are very impressed by it.

http://www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk/

HtH

Thanks, am lookin at the site at the mo! .. i think that is quite a good idea!
Fx
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
May be I should clarify, as reading that back, it doesn't flow

MV clearly isn't a scheme replacing DoE, it's just the 'new' buzz programme that Unis look for - in the same way DoE used to be viewed.

fx
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vicky600)
Can ne1 recommend anything that I would be able to do - Geography orientated, that i woule be able to put on my personal statement nextyear. please??
Yay, i've found someone who wants to do geog next year like me ! Lol sorry. I don't know what you/(we lol) could do...think i'll read these replies to get some ideas.

PS where are you thinking of applying? do u want to do BA or BSc?
vicky600
Rep:
?
(Original post by SiAnY)
Yay, i've found someone who wants to do geog next year like me ! Lol sorry. I don't know what you/(we lol) could do...think i'll read these replies to get some ideas.

PS where are you thinking of applying? do u want to do BA or BSc?
I really wud like to go to newcastle uni.. but that dnt seem too high on the geography tables. but probably ther. I dunno which one i would do probably a BSc, i prefer the physical side.. u?

I think we shud brainstorm ideas.. wer u from?
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I really wud like to go to newcastle uni.. but that dnt seem too high on the geography tables. but probably ther. I dunno which one i would do probably a BSc, i prefer the physical side.. u?

Don't take too much notice of the tables. Newcastle as a whole is in the top 30 in pretty much all of them, which means that it's pretty decent. And to be honest, I think that the Uni you got your degree from would usually be important than how the individual departments were rated.
vicky600
Rep:
?
So dya think newcastle is a gud enuff uni?
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I think that league tables are quite misleading. Warwick for example is an excellent uni but ranked 18th on the Times for Law. Now 18th is quite harsh for such a good uni...
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So dya think newcastle is a gud enuff uni?
Not one of the top ones, but good enough, yes. You could certainly do a hell of a lot worse.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why not arrange some visits and see what tickles your fancy
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Well i'm more human orientated, so it'll probably be a BA for me . I'm from the south coast, which is a pain in the ass coz i probably won't be able to go to Durham because of the distance.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
Not one of the top ones, but good enough, yes. You could certainly do a hell of a lot worse.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...813914,00.html
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Well i'm more human orientated, so it'll probably be a BA for me . I'm from the south coast, which is a pain in the ass coz i probably won't be able to go to Durham because of the distance.

Confussed! Why couldn't you go to Durham?????? Personally, I got as far away from the familiy home as possible
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Confussed! Why couldn't you go to Durham?????? Personally, I got as far away from the familiy home as possible
Well i'm quite a senstive, shy type of person and i reckon i'll probably get home sick and i don't wanna spend a whole day getting home lol. And i would probably get completely lost on the trains n that. :/
vicky600
Rep:
?
if i managed to get into newcastle , id b bout 3 hours away from home on the train.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Well i'm quite a senstive, shy type of person and i reckon i'll probably get home sick and i don't wanna spend a whole day getting home lol. And i would probably get completely lost on the trains n that. :/
I don't think it takes a 'whole day' to get home. I was looking at the express trains and some take 2.5 hours from Durham to London. For me, it DOES take a 'whole day' to get home.. lolz.. even more if I count the transits etc.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)

Awwww... Hon!

If you think you'll hate it then fair enough (just wanted to say don't let dostances be a problem, cos usually they're not... Especially with all the regional airports about today)
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
I don't think it takes a 'whole day' to get home. I was looking at the express trains and some take 2.5 hours from Durham to London. For me, it DOES take a 'whole day' to get home.. lolz.. even more if I count the transits etc.
Ooh really? 2.5 hrs is pretty good But then i'd still have at least 3 more hours to get home from London.
Pure Scientist
Report 15 years ago
Can ne1 recommend anything that I would be able to do - Geography orientated, that i woule be able to put on my personal statement nextyear. please??
To be honest Vicky, I doubt the uni will be looking for someone who hikes around the lake district, as (although I'm no Geographer) I shouldn't think it's incredibly relevant to the course. You should probably find out what sort of things are involved in the course and then decide what to do (Hiking around the lake district would probably be good for you anyway mind )
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I might suggest you see if there is anything you could do in your own school (or a nearby Primary School). In my school some sixthformers started up an "armchair geographers" club for year 7 - about every 2 weeks and in it they did things like showing videos of different places and producing a little booklet on it for the kids, they did map jigsaws, orienteering when the weather was good, looked at environmental problems (like erosion) around the school and what to do with them etc.
How about looking closer to home... ask in school
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads