The Student Room Group

Exeter Clinical Science-Medicine transfer question

Hi all,

I'm about to start my clinical science course at Exeter, having already tried and failed to make it into their medical school.

My goal, as most people on the same course probably have, is to transfer to medicine after the first year, as advertised by the uni. However, I can't believe I didn't ask this before...I don't know whether I have to apply to Exeter through UCAS to do so.

This question is mainly for people who also did clinical science at Exeter and transferred, or anyone who happens to know. I just thought it was worth asking here, rather than asking SID (student info desk), when they are busy already atm and they would probably take ages to get back.

Many thanks
BUMP
Reply 2
I have had a deferred offer for medical science for 2015, and as I understand it if you are in the top 10% at the end of the first year, you are invited to apply to transfer to medicine. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Can you please tell me where on the website it says we can transfer? I can't seem to find it.
Reply 4
Original post by caobi
Can you please tell me where on the website it says we can transfer? I can't seem to find it.

also when you transfer do you have to start from year one again or can you go straight into year 2
Reply 5
It doesn't say that it is possible to transfer, only that if you have achieved 2:1 or over, you'll be guaranteed an interview at the med school. :frown:
Reply 6
Graduate of Medical Science here..

Unfortunately for me, the transfer was put in place when I was in 2nd year so I missed out.. but anyhow..

You can transfer to medicine (starting as a 1st year medic) if you are in the top 10% of your year. You have to do an extra exam at the end of the year and you have to have an interview too and then you may be given an offer to transfer.

If you don't manage to get the transfer, then in final year (whether that be 3 or 4 for people taking a placement year) then you are guaranteed an interview for Medicine. However, you are not guaranteed a place on the medicine course. You are up against all the other interviewees and the top however many get offers. Typically, if you get an offer as a graduate of medical sciences, a student who is expected to get a 2.i or higher will be given an unconditional offer whereas if you are expecting a 2.ii then it becomes conditional in gaining a 2.i

Hope this helps!

Also, feel free to ask any other questions about the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstieW
Graduate of Medical Science here..

Unfortunately for me, the transfer was put in place when I was in 2nd year so I missed out.. but anyhow..

You can transfer to medicine (starting as a 1st year medic) if you are in the top 10% of your year. You have to do an extra exam at the end of the year and you have to have an interview too and then you may be given an offer to transfer.

If you don't manage to get the transfer, then in final year (whether that be 3 or 4 for people taking a placement year) then you are guaranteed an interview for Medicine. However, you are not guaranteed a place on the medicine course. You are up against all the other interviewees and the top however many get offers. Typically, if you get an offer as a graduate of medical sciences, a student who is expected to get a 2.i or higher will be given an unconditional offer whereas if you are expecting a 2.ii then it becomes conditional in gaining a 2.i

Hope this helps!

Also, feel free to ask any other questions about the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

H there,

1. Is the extra exam based on what you learned in year 1 or something else?
2. Is it quite hard to have an average of 1st or a 2.i
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending