The Student Room Group

Applying for the GDL, non-law degree, chances of a TC?

Essentially, I'm entering the final year of my chemistry degree (leaving with an MSci). My provisional BSc if I had left was a high 2.1 (68%) from UCL. I have a guaranteed place at bpp, hopefully in London as I don't want to leave, also applying to college of law and city for the GDL. I've volunteered in a hospital since April 2012 and have been working two jobs this summer, one as an NPA officer (sales and contract type stuff) and the other as a marketing assistant. However I've no law work experience. Aside from that I have A levels at A*AA in Russian, Biology, Chemistry, an AS in French and GCSE Spanish. Currently also learning German, do you think I'm likely to get onto a TC applying this year given my lack of experience? The soonest I'll have any is December after I'd ideally be applying...should I be expecting a year after the GDL of other work and reapplication following pro bono work during the course etc?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
In terms of pure academics your grades from A-level upwards are absolutely fine. However, if I was a graduate recruiter, I would be really interested in your motivation for a career as a solicitor.
Whilst I'm sure it's not unheard of, it seems slightly abnormal to go from, not just a degree in chemistry, but a Masters, to self-funding a GDL after absolutely no experience of the legal profession/any previous attempts during your degree to apply for a training contract.

Half of all trainees come from non-law backgrounds and a significant proportion of those will have obtained an offer during their undergraduate degree (most firms pay for their GDL and LPC). From this I'm going to conclude that becoming a lawyer has been a fairly recent decision? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think your only main obstacle will be ticking the 'commitment to being a lawyer' box on a firm's competency sheet. Not everyone can find legal experience or have daddy to pull some strings, but to not have previously expressed any interest whatsoever in the profession will be a red flag.

Edit: that's not to say your current work experience is irrelevant at all, just you're going to have to formulate a good answer to the questions above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Well, for a period I was looking seriously at becoming a patent attorney, who recruit from science degrees, however I realised it isn't just IP law that interests me, especially when dealing with the contract work at one of my current jobs.

As of yet yes I've no experience in a legal firm, which I'm looking to rectify, however at this point in time I need to be prepping applications for TCs and when I start sending said applications (Oct-Nov) I'll be knee deep in research, I won't be able to do voluntary work etc until December. As for the masters, the grades to get in were the same as the BSc and the idea of the research side of it really interested me, after all, when will I get to do that again? Hopefully it'll also stand me in good stead with companies that deal with pharma.
Reply 3
Original post by oliver1816
Well, for a period I was looking seriously at becoming a patent attorney, who recruit from science degrees, however I realised it isn't just IP law that interests me, especially when dealing with the contract work at one of my current jobs.

As of yet yes I've no experience in a legal firm, which I'm looking to rectify, however at this point in time I need to be prepping applications for TCs and when I start sending said applications (Oct-Nov) I'll be knee deep in research, I won't be able to do voluntary work etc until December. As for the masters, the grades to get in were the same as the BSc and the idea of the research side of it really interested me, after all, when will I get to do that again? Hopefully it'll also stand me in good stead with companies that deal with pharma.

Which firms do you want to apply for? Unless it's big London types, I'm not sure it's essential to whack off an application before Christmas; you can afford to wait until you've done some work exp after Christmas.

Even for the Magic Circle, the addition of legal experience might prove a more decisive factor than whether you apply in November or January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Key123
Which firms do you want to apply for? Unless it's big London types, I'm not sure it's essential to whack off an application before Christmas; you can afford to wait until you've done some work exp after Christmas.

Even for the Magic Circle, the addition of legal experience might prove a more decisive factor than whether you apply in November or January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am hoping to be in the City and that's where I should be doing an internship in Dec/Jan. I'm just trying to work out if I'm better with an earlier or later but stronger application. The firm I'll be in is a relevant one (city rather than family firm).
Reply 5
Okay, so, well, I might as well weigh in. In the spoiler is a bit of backstory which you can read if you want, but doesn't directly answer your question.

Spoiler

In my fairly limited experience of this whole business, I'd say that - on paper at least - you stand a very reasonable chance of getting a training contract with an appropriate firm (where 'appropriate' means you and the firm are a match in terms of personality and practice interest).

That you're doing some legal work experience at Christmas is great - some firms have an early non-law training contract application deadline, but I don't remember coming across one which was earlier than about mid-January (I think it was Herbert Smith) - most of them were March 31st. If at all possible, wait till you've done the work experience. If you can't (or are totally unwilling to) do that, mention that you will be doing the experience on your application form anyway.

I'd also say that it probably isn't worth self-funding the GDL. Admittedly it shows massive commitment to a career in law, but (as someone who could in no way have afforded to fund it himself) it just seems like a massive waste of money if there are firms out there willing to pay your fees for you (and give you a bit of money to live on while you're studying).

Anyway. I think I've said enough. Probably too much.
Original post by oliver1816
I am hoping to be in the City and that's where I should be doing an internship in Dec/Jan. I'm just trying to work out if I'm better with an earlier or later but stronger application. The firm I'll be in is a relevant one (city rather than family firm).

I see this is a few years old. But, quite curious, since I am in the same boat as you, how did you get on 4 years later?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending