Post Count Watch

This discussion is closed.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Does anybody else agree that display of post count should be removed?

I do. It's because people are treating large post counts as being equal to respect, and "respectful" status titles need high post counts to be reached.

Vengeful, Imperial Overlord was 2000 when I joined.
Overlord in Training was 900.

Yes, I became an Overlord, but then I found that the status titles were moved upwards to meet the new demand of people with higher post counts. That means that people see that if they want to be an "Overlord", they need 3500 posts, and they look at the first page of the members list, and they want to be on there as quickly as possible, and they need thousands of posts to get there.

I suggest that post count display be removed totally from posts, so people don't take it into account. I think that status titles should be based from post count, but so there are only a few and set at fairly low post counts. Then, the only way anybody could be given a title above something like "Full member" would be if they were given it personally by a mod or something (are mods allowed to do that?) for quality of posts and useful contribution, rather than just number of posts. Maybe every month there could be an "honours list" of people who are going to get higher status titles.

How does that sound?
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
as long as your status is still displayed im happy
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think it should. It just shows you how dedicated you are to posting etc and that you know what goes on here because you've posted a lot.
I worked hard to get up to this so don't let them take it away!
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
On one board that I used to go to, they stopped displaying the post count next to your name to stop people posting crap to increase it, but you could still see it in the person's profile.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm not sure, I would glady have 1000 posts wipped of my post count anyway, it just shows I am a geek with nothing better to do rather than a a decdicated UKL poster.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I don't think it should. It just shows you how dedicated you are to posting etc and that you know what goes on here because you've posted a lot.
I worked hard to get up to this so don't let them take it away!
Yes, but because you're established you could be given a status title that relates to your use on the forum rather than the number of times you have posted.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, but because you're established you could be given a status title that relates to your use on the forum rather than the number of times you have posted.
I was an Overlord before, I went away on holiday or something for a week and came back and I'd been demoted. Got a bit pissed off about that
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I was an Overlord before, I went away on holiday or something for a week and came back and I'd been demoted. Got a bit pissed off about that
Yes, I was annoyed, but I felt that I didn't want to post more just to chase status titles.

Perhaps they could be awarded based on an accepted (and public) formula to calculate "seniority"? People tried discussing that a while ago. It'd either have to be coded into vB or calculated using a spreadsheet (or script connected to the vB database) and have the titles hand changed.

And something must be done about the Busy messages.
Mxx
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
as long as your status is still displayed im happy
ditto, stops the poor spam. and post counts are still reachable just not displayed.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mxx)
ditto, stops the poor spam. and post counts are still reachable just not displayed.
Yeah.

I'd have made this into a poll but I clicked "Submit New Thread" too early instead of adding a poll. Damn!
Sam2k
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My only problem with getting rid of the post count is that not everyone looks at the count and title when decideing who to look up to.
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

I do. It's because people are treating large post counts as being equal to respect, and "respectful" status titles need high post counts to be reached.

Vengeful, Imperial Overlord was 2000 when I joined.
Overlord in Training was 900.

Yes, I became an Overlord, but then I found that the status titles were moved upwards to meet the new demand of people with higher post counts. That means that people see that if they want to be an "Overlord", they need 3500 posts, and they look at the first page of the members list, and they want to be on there as quickly as possible, and they need thousands of posts to get there.

I suggest that post count display be removed totally from posts, so people don't take it into account. I think that status titles should be based from post count, but so there are only a few and set at fairly low post counts. Then, the only way anybody could be given a title above something like "Full member" would be if they were given it personally by a mod or something (are mods allowed to do that?) for quality of posts and useful contribution, rather than just number of posts. Maybe every month there could be an "honours list" of people who are going to get higher status titles.

How does that sound?

Sounds like a very good idea to me
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This should be in the "About" subforum
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
This should be in the "About" subforum
Indeed, there is probably a sub-forum for every thread.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When I joined, Overlord was about 500. And everyone was amazed when Phil reached 1000 posts.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
On my old message boards we invented our own posting hierarchy, so we had to change our names ourselves. It started at about 100 to be a citizen, and then went through all the ranks of nobility till 550 was Prince/Princess, 1000 was High Prince/Princess, and 5000 was God/Goddess (no King and Queen, cos you can't have more than one of them!). It worked for a while, when there was just a select group of regs, although nobody ever really believed anyone would become a God/dess. But then we got an influx of newbies and the whole thing was shot to pieces - some of them said it was unfair on them, others took to it like a shot and posted pages of spam to get up the rankings.

I have to say I haven't noticed such a problem here, but you older folks (as in have been here longer) might obviously think differently. Getting rid of post counts is an option, cos most people know who is a reg and who isn't round here anyway. I kinda like the titles, but I haven't gone all out to get them.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Actually you're quite right about the post count biz. But I think the novelty of a high post count wears off after a while? For me, after I got my first 100, I stopped thinking about post counts and rep etc. It just didn't matter anymore...

I dunno... but I agree that the post count biz encourages spamming initially to get to the first few titles.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
they can take it away when i reach 50,000
Aylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Then, the only way anybody could be given a title above something like "Full member" would be if they were given it personally by a mod or something (are mods allowed to do that?) for quality of posts and useful contribution, rather than just number of posts. Maybe every month there could be an "honours list" of people who are going to get higher status titles.
I like the idea but I think it would make a lot of work for the mods, as they would have to decide who was 'worthy'. This also may cause a lot of resentment if people felt they were being overlooked ( a bit like when a new mod position comes up in fact). I do agree that post count could be removed though.
kokopops
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Aylia)
I like the idea but I think it would make a lot of work for the mods, as they would have to decide who was 'worthy'. This also may cause a lot of resentment if people felt they were being overlooked ( a bit like when a new mod position comes up in fact). I do agree that post count could be removed though.
yeh ... i agree ... we gtta remember that the mods are studying too... well kinda...! lol! no offence mods...!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.96%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.96%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (78)
18.53%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.38%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.75%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.41%