The Student Room Group

I want the PS4 but can't afford it

Hi, so all my friends are getting a PS4 after it comes out... except for me.
My mum will probably pay a slight amount, but I want to pay the majority... because it's my console and i am independant and won't let my mother (who is a PhD student) pay the whole £350
anyway, I have a few questions
PS4 prices
America: $400~£250
UK (where i am) £350
my first question will be if I buy it from America and ship it all the way here, would it be worth it? for example Amazon USA or something like that.
Obviously my biggest question is HOW the hell do i get the cash? I have like £20 now which is pretty much nothing. how do i get the cash on my own? take into consideration that I'm 15 and can't get a job or anything like that.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Some super cheap PS4 console deals for Black Friday:

Call of Duty BlackOps 4 £29.95!

Assassin's Creed Origins is only £19

Spiderman is £28.99 here

Amazon PS4 Deals Here

Sony PlayStation VR (PSVR) V2 + Camera + VR Worlds + Astro Bot for £199.85

500gb Playstation 4 with Red Dead Redemption 2 + Doom + The Last of Us Remastered and now tv for £264.99

View all of the best Black Friday deals by clicking here (consoles, phones, makeup and more!)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Buy it from the US and the guarantee is worthless.
Reply 3
Original post by balotelli12
Buy it from the US and the guarantee is worthless.

ok
Reply 4
Wait 'til your 16 and get a job. By the way, at 15 you're not independent.
Reply 5
Well, if you're so desperate to get one, you're either going to have to find a way to make the money yourself or ask your mum to buy it and pay her back. But you could just wait until you do have a job and get one then. Not getting a PS4 on release date isn't the end of the world.
You can't even afford the console. How are you going to afford the games?

If you can't afford it. Get a job and save.

Welcome to the real world.
Reply 7
The american price doesn't include tax, which they pay depending on the state they live in, whereas the UK price includes our tax, VAT. There's actually not much difference in prices. And if you pay for delivery from america, you would probably end up paying the same, if not more.
Reply 8
This is life I'm afraid, you can't always afford what you want.
Reply 9
honestly, I wouldn't bother buying it when it comes out. It will likely break because the first wave of the new consoles could be duds like the last time. Maybe wait a few months to see how the consoles are holding up. That gives you more time to save for it.

Anyway, regardless of when you buy it, try and save every penny you get.

I'd say open up a new savings account and lodge like £20 a week into it, £20 a week isn't really too much, but may be a stretch. The week before Christmas, you'll have £280 saved up, 80% of the total cost.
Reply 10
If you have any source of regular income you could buy one on finance, itd end up costing you more in the end but youl be able to get one asap like everyone else.

ive used very/littlewoods before for electronics, they charge more but delivery very fast and you pay it off like any other bill

though I wouldnt advise this option to anyone who doesnt have a bit of spare money each month.

failing that I jus save up for things I want, got a holiday/ps4 fund on the go atm lol I kinda wana get the bundle amazon have that comes with call of duty: ghosts

Note: just realised your 15, so you could try n get a relative to go the finance route and you pay them off with however you can earn money etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
You can't have it both ways - you're 15, you don't have a part-time job, yet you want to pay for the majority of the console. Unless you're willing to stop whining and start saving up your pennies for a long time, you're not going to be getting a console any time soon. Go find a job in a bakery.
It's only a PS4 - it's not the end of the world. It's probably best waiting a little while anyway, since there will inevitably be bugs and teething issues with the system.
Reply 12
i want an aston martin DB9 but i can't afford one. that's how life is sometimes.

and, as had been said, don't order from the US. you won't get warranty support and you almost certainly will get charged VAT (20%) and import duty at this end before it's delivered
Reply 13
If you order it from the US you'll likely be hit by import duties when it crosses the border, meaning it'll end up costing more than if you'd bought the UK version. The only way you can realistically get around this is if you were going on holiday to the US, in which case you could buy the console while you were over there, unbox it and take it home without incurring customs fees. Basically, it's not going to happen.
Reply 14
Why do you even need it when it comes out? Many major games are coming out for both current and next gen consoles. Sure the graphics won't be as good, and some will be next gen only, but can't you just wait a few months? It won't be long until it drops to 300 (possibly even less) and they'll start selling bundles with games.

As for the money, save up for it! Get money for Christmas, sell current consoles, games, old laptop, music, DVDs- basically anything. You can get a lot off the price of it if you trade in all your old games at GAME. Do jobs around the house or for family/friends for a bit of extra cash. Get a paper round if you can.

I don't see why you need it right away, but if you really want it then you'll just have to earn and save like adults do.
Original post by Lucky-Roll
I'm 15 and can't get a job

Wait, what? Why can't you get a job at 15? This is how you'll get the cash.
Otherwise do what I'm doing and wait a bit after launch, I may get one after exam periods because it'll be cheaper then for both the console and games, and the launch window itself is very limited and most interesting games are coming out early 2014 so you won't be missing out on much.
Reply 16
I'm probably going to wait until next year to get it, nothing is worth getting on the first day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I've just turned 17 and have just began a part time job. I have like £300 so hopefully I'll buy ps4 next summer (or before if a good deal arises).

I'm getting bf4 for ps3 then upgrading to bf3 on ps4 for like £10

Get your mum to buy it then pay her back. Try and wait for good deals.
Import duties sir. Buy from the US, and the price will go way up, probably more than the UK price.

Don't worry about your friends getting it before you...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Lucky-Roll
Hi, so all my friends are getting a PS4 after it comes out... except for me.
My mum will probably pay a slight amount, but I want to pay the majority... because it's my console and i am independant and won't let my mother (who is a PhD student) pay the whole £350
anyway, I have a few questions
PS4 prices
America: $400~£250
UK (where i am) £350
my first question will be if I buy it from America and ship it all the way here, would it be worth it? for example Amazon USA or something like that.
Obviously my biggest question is HOW the hell do i get the cash? I have like £20 now which is pretty much nothing. how do i get the cash on my own? take into consideration that I'm 15 and can't get a job or anything like that.

Do you know why the price is different? Because of taxation. You don't just convert the cost in dollars, Lelz.

Quick Reply

Latest