Where a lot of HE money goes. Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I've just come across this and its quite shocking that some universities have drop out rates as high as almost 40%
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...814023,00.html

Surely this is costing society a hell of a lot of money? This is a partly a result of universities taking on EE grade students for degree level courses. They just can't cope and drop out, also the courses them selves may leave a lot to be disered.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I've just come across this and its quite shocking that some universities have drop out rates as high as almost 40%

Surely this is costing society a hell of a lot of money? This is a partly a result of universities taking on EE grade students for degree level courses. They just can't cope and drop out, also the courses them selves may leave a lot to be disered.
Yep, and just think, while they waste thousands on no-hopers, the money could be invested into expanding the capacity of the top universities.

Typical...
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This is a partly a result of universities taking on EE grade students for degree level courses. They just can't cope and drop out, also the courses them selves may leave a lot to be disered.
Hmm - a bit pf a sweeping generalisation.

I'll let you into a little secret - the first time I sat my A-Levels I got E, N and a D (and in that order on my result slip ).

Granted I was in hospital for 9 months of my lower 6th and refused to join the year below when I got out on account that they were a bunch of slappers and ho's!

I have to say also that on my first degree course, the highest drop out rate was amongst straight A students, who were so used to being spoon fed at school that they couldn't cope with the style of learning at University.......

So it's all swings and roundabouts again!

Personally I think the answer lies in an annual censous to identify key areas lacking in the UK graduate work force, and fund these courses. If you want to do 'History of The Bill - The Early Years' then you pay full fees.....
AT82
Rep:
?
The problem is though is justfifying what counts and what dosn't. People might think my course is mickey mouse (Multimedia and Internet Technology) but in many ways the learning curve is actually steeper than Computer Science (at my uni).
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The problem is though is justfifying what counts and what dosn't. People might think my course is mickey mouse (Multimedia and Internet Technology) but in many ways the learning curve is actually steeper than Computer Science (at my uni).
Just in the same way sweeping generalisations about grades don't really work either.....

And why should your degree count any less just because of where you get it. A lot of 'lesser Unis' might be pants on the whole, but equally most habour at least one red-hot department.....

Also what consituted a micky mouse Uni or courses? Most people get stroppy about 'Ex-Polys' But some of them - and Brookes springs to mind are highly regarded as Universities... Well at least to the point of out ranking some of the older institutions.....
AT82
Rep:
?
You can't always go of league tables either. My university is a good example it has a bad teaching score because the management was quite weak at the time, its not that the teachers are crap.

I think it is fair to say that degree quality varies though, I know my course (from the open days and seeing the quality of the students work) is better quality than the ones offered by Chester and Bolton but I bet the course at Lancaster would be better

I also think RAA research inspections are crap because they don't do them often enough, a lot can change in ten years. My biggest worry is employability.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can't always go of league tables either. My university is a good example it has a bad teaching score because the management was quite weak at the time, its not that the teachers are crap.

I think it is fair to say that degree quality varies though, I know my course (from the open days and seeing the quality of the students work) is better quality than the ones offered by Chester and Bolton but I bet the course at Lancaster would be better

I also think RAA research inspections are crap because they don't do them often enough, a lot can change in ten years. My biggest worry is employability.
Agreed. The other thing that annoys me is that degree classifications are not standard.

For eg - my friend has a first in biology from Lancaster. She failled out right two modules. Now, if I had failed two modules at Swansea, I wouldn't have a degree at all!!!

All I would say is that I think people (employers etc) are cottoning on to this fact, along with departmental reputations as opposed to that of the Uni (outside of the Ra! Ra! Unis of course ).

How long do you have left on your course...
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That table threw up a surprising anomaly, SOAS.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Agreed. The other thing that annoys me is that degree classifications are not standard.

For eg - my friend has a first in biology from Lancaster. She failled out right two modules. Now, if I had failed two modules at Swansea, I wouldn't have a degree at all!!!

All I would say is that I think people (employers etc) are cottoning on to this fact, along with departmental reputations as opposed to that of the Uni (outside of the Ra! Ra! Unis of course ).
well theres no point going on institution outside of the top unis.
after all, oxford brookes is a pile of turd, but has one of the top if not the top history faculty in the uk
J
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fluffy)

A maximum of 6% can get firsts on my course, last year only one person did. On my course if you fail two modules you can get automatic compensation providing you turned up for most the lectures and did ok in the other modules, however this year we are now with the computer science department and they are very strict on moderation so you would have to resit.

I am in my second year now so don't have that long to go now. My grades at the moment seem to average a mid 2:1.

What I don't like is to get 40% (a low 3rd) its very very easy but to get a first in assignments you really really have to work extremely hard and do a lot of your own research. I think you should make it harder to get the 40% pass because people will becoming out with a degree that is virtualy useless.
AT82
Rep:
?
What also annoys me about my university is it really has some beer money courses. Such as Liesure Management which is a degree course which requires 120 points at entry. Most people seem to fail it.

On the other hand TV and Radio Production requares two ABB and relevant work experience.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
They're done every 5 years - and if you understood the amopunt of extra workload it involves (and the amount of money it costs) at both every university in the country and at HEFCE you wouldn't be encouraging an increase. (for instance http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/overview/docs/UoA25.pdf contains a brief summary of the workload involved on the part of the computer science panel (on of the ~70 panels) and http://195.194.167.103/submissions/M...ESAInst=H-0158 contains the summary of information Salford had to collate and submit for Library & Information Management - each of the 9 links/forms involves a substantial amount of work)

Work on preparing for the 2006 RAE has already started.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

My family are full of university drop-outs in fact... all of them have come home (I wont though ). And neither of them were EE grade students, infact one of them was AAAAA and at a top university studying Law!
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
That table threw up a surprising anomaly, SOAS.
Yes, that really surprised me too.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (212)
12.76%
Excited (148)
8.91%
Worried (302)
18.18%
Terrified (374)
22.52%
Meh (151)
9.09%
Confused (36)
2.17%