asianangel86
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
couple of questions for you guys.... i'm panicking hard.

1)give an advantage of lactase and other digestive enzymes being located in the plasma membranes of the cells lining the small intestine rather than being secreed into the lumen of the small intestine.

2) the absorption of galactose from the small intestine is reduced if the absorbing cells are treated with a respiratory inhibitor, such as cyanide. suggets an explanation for this.
xsbrx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by asianangel86)
couple of questions for you guys.... i'm panicking hard.

1)give an advantage of lactase and other digestive enzymes being located in the plasma membranes of the cells lining the small intestine rather than being secreed into the lumen of the small intestine.

2) the absorption of galactose from the small intestine is reduced if the absorbing cells are treated with a respiratory inhibitor, such as cyanide. suggets an explanation for this.
Don't panic!

1 - enzymes can be adsorbed onto on the surface of cells lining the small intestine as this means the products of digestion can be right next to the cells that will absorb them. this means a faster rate of absorption as the molecules have a very short distance to diffuse.

2 - (this ones a bit of a guess!) cyanide is a competitive inhibitor so will block the carrier proteins in the plasma membrane. Hence galactose won't be able to cross the plasma membranes through these proteins so the rate of absorption would be reduced.
-doll
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Good luck for tomorrow ppl!!
xxx
asianangel86
Rep:
?
thank you!! if i had any left i'd rep you!
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We're all going to fail. Yay. [I hope not]
asianangel86
Rep:
?
ahhh we'll be fine. if nothing else, we can join the army together! yay!
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Polygenic Inheritance? Polyploidy? Gah.
Erana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The respiratory inhibitor one is to do with galactose etc. being taken up by active transport. No respiration = no ATP, and we all know what that means

Sorry if this was too late for you, I'm on my usual cram schedule. (cram-get distracted-cram-distract-cram-oh, look, it's 3am...*collapse*)
Waiwaichowchow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't believe this was 14 years ago wow
I've only just started my a levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have the latest Covid-19 announcements affected your decisions about university?

It's complicated, I'll tell you more in the thread... (35)
6.45%
I've decided not to go to university (26)
4.79%
I'm more likely to go to university now (32)
5.89%
I've decided to go to a university nearer to my home town (42)
7.73%
I’m considering different universities (31)
5.71%
I am choosing a more career-related course (37)
6.81%
I am choosing a course based on what I’m passionate about (69)
12.71%
It hasn't changed anything for me (271)
49.91%

Watched Threads