Arch and Anth at Newnham vs. UCL

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ami99
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
My friend has been offered a place at Newnham (not her first choice college) to study Archaelogy and Anthropology as well as at UCL. She can't decide which offer to accept. She thinks she might prefer the course at UCL because it appears to offer more choice and she's also unsure about the Biological Anthropolgy aspect of the Cambridge course, but she doesn't really know. She also doesn't know whether she would like studying at Newnham (she was offered a place without interview so hasn't even seen it). We're going to try to visit it at some point this Easter, but I was hoping someone has some advice.

What are people's opinions of the college and the course, is anyone at Newnham or studying Arch and Anth or know someone who is? Any help would be much appreciated.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Haz is studying Arch and Anth at Newnham, though I haven't seen her on UKL for a while.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ami99)
My friend has been offered a place at Newnham (not her first choice college) to study Archaelogy and Anthropology as well as at UCL. She can't decide which offer to accept. She thinks she might prefer the course at UCL because it appears to offer more choice and she's also unsure about the Biological Anthropolgy aspect of the Cambridge course, but she doesn't really know. She also doesn't know whether she would like studying at Newnham (she was offered a place without interview so hasn't even seen it). We're going to try to visit it at some point this Easter, but I was hoping someone has some advice.

What are people's opinions of the college and the course, is anyone at Newnham or studying Arch and Anth or know someone who is? Any help would be much appreciated.
I was under the impression that the biological aspect of both courses are very similar. What is it about the biological anth aspect of Cambridge's course in particular that she is unsure about?

Overall, UCL's course seems much more broader than Cam's, and is apparently more flexible. Also, she would already be aware that the Anth dept at UCL is supposed to be better than Cam's - according the old woman who gave the presentation to prospective students at the open day!

However, if your mate is planning on travelling to some exciting location for a dig, she should thinkg long and and hard about going to UCL. It seems that arch students get little funding for field excavations there.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ami99)
She also doesn't know whether she would like studying at Newnham (she was offered a place without interview so hasn't even seen it).
If this is the main reason she doesn't want to go there, then that's silly! Why doesn't she think she'll like it?! All of the colleges are practically the same anyways, just variations in age, size and locations (yes some have a few more facilities than others too) and all the lectures will be in the actual department and if you don't like your college you can make friends at other ones and go hang out at theirs and use the universities facilities! Basically collegs are where you get fed and sleep (of course you have your "tutorials" - can't remember what the cambridge equivalent is as I'm off to Oxford) and remember that most people move out after the 2nd year so if she really hates it, then it's only a year she really has to put up with it for.

Ultimately your friend has to realise what it is she wants to get out of her degree and where she wants to go, and only she can make that decision...
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ami99)

Here's a good reason to choose Cambridge....
I might be going & doing the same course! (actually knowing that might put her off...) I thought Newnham was wonderful, I chose it rather than pooled to it, if it's the women thing...you don't have to spend every minute there & Cambridge doesn't exactly have a lack of men! Lectures will be mixed & the supervisions won't all be in Newnham (so I've been told!)

I have done my best to answer the same sort of question the Archaeology & Anthropology thread in the university section, please ask if there's anything more I can do.
Katie J
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
Here's a good reason to choose Cambridge....
I might be going & doing the same course! (actually knowing that might put her off...) I thought Newnham was wonderful, I chose it rather than pooled to it, if it's the women thing...you don't have to spend every minute there & Cambridge doesn't exactly have a lack of men! Lectures will be mixed & the supervisions won't all be in Newnham (so I've been told!)

I have done my best to answer the same sort of question the Archaeology & Anthropology thread in the university section, please ask if there's anything more I can do.
Katie J
Is Newham all girls then?! Ahhh then she has same problem as me! I was offered an OPEN OFFER to study Physics (bit different I kno) which means that my original college (NEW) couldn't take me so fobbed me off to St Hilda's, who also didnt have any space but made me the Open Offer (i'm told which college after my exam results). I went livid when I first saw the envelope with their stamp on (as they sent me details of offer) land on my door mat and was so grumpy when I open it shouting !i'm not going to accept it incase I end up at st hilda's" tht I didnt really celebrate. I foned my m8s as i'd promised but wasn't v.enthusiastic but then it dawned on me tht maybe it wld b silly to turn it down just because its all girls?! After lots of heart-breaking decisions I decided to....accept it! Lots of ppl on here helped me and I'm sooo glad I did! Orginally I cldnt imagine myself there, but now I don't care where I end up (altho preferably not one miles away from department!!!). Make sure she takes her time over the decision - speak to ppl who are in the know as you might find out lots of stuff u wldnt otherwise realise! I thought all girls colleges had "all girl" partys/bops but they don't they mix with other colleges - wahooo! boys (particularly important as i've been at all girls school since i was 7!).

if she needs any more advice, get her to PM me or speak to Hildabeast who goes to St Hilda's all girl college in Oxford as she helped me alot and I'm sure she wont mind chatting to her!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (295)
34.26%
No (566)
65.74%

Watched Threads