The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemistrynerd13
Can someone help me with this question. I don't understand the solutionIMG_3203.JPG
Attachment not found

physics image.jpg

What exactly are you stuck on? The question is solved by using the
two conditions necessary for equilibrium:
1. The total moment is 0 - think of a ruler to work out which way the
object would turn under the act of each moment because anticlockwise
and clockwise moments have to have a minus sign with respect to each
other e.g anticlockwise moment - clockwise moment=clockwise moment - anticlockwise moment = 0 or clockwise moment=anticlockwise
moment.
2. The total force is 0 in both horizontal and vertical directions.

When calculating the moment about a point remember that its defined as force x perpendicular distance from point
not just simply force x distance.

This means to calculate the moment you must draw a line from the point to the force that is at right angles to the force - if only a parallel line can be drawn then the perpendicular distance is 0 and so the moment is 0.

If the force acts where you are taking the moments from then the moment is 0 because the perpendicular distance is 0.

I've attached an image to help demonstrate the forces and perpendicular forces from the point to the force relevant for the problem.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by maansari
I need help with this question i dont know how to solve thisIn a film stunt, a car is driven off a cliff with a horizontal velocity of 11.6 ms-1. The cliff face is vertical, and the cliff is 23.6 m high.Calculate the distance in m from the base of the cliff to the point where the car strikes the ground, to 1d.p.

The acceleration from gravity is vertical(downwards) so that the horizontal velocity remains constant and thus the distance=(11.6 ms^-1)*time.

The time is found by using s=ut+1/2at^2 with s=d(after)-d(before)=
0(m)-23.6(m)=-23.6(m) and a=-g=-9.81(ms^-2).
Reply 1702
hey could someone help me out with this question. Why do two wires in a series circuit made of the same material have electrons of the same velocity flowing through them when they are different widths? i get this means that they have the same current but i don't understand it when it comes from the equation I=nqvA. surely this would mean that a greater area A, means a current. thanks :h:
Another great website is physicsandmathstutor.com
Original post by djm__
hey could someone help me out with this question. Why do two wires in a series circuit made of the same material have electrons of the same velocity flowing through them when they are different widths? i get this means that they have the same current but i don't understand it when it comes from the equation I=nqvA. surely this would mean that a greater area A, means a current. thanks :h:

I afraid that I may not give you a satisfactory explanation because I don’t really understand your question as they don't seem to be connected. :smile:

Original post by djm__
hey could someone help me out with this question. Why do two wires in a series circuit made of the same material have electrons of the same velocity flowing through them when they are different widths?

Is your different widths implies different cross-sectional area?

When 2 wires of the same material with different cross-sectional areas are connected, the current is the same but the drift velocity is different. It can be seen from the equation that you quoted

nqv1A1 = nqv2A2

Both n and q are same. Since A1 and A2 are different, v1 and v2 would be different as well.

Original post by djm__
…i get this means that they have the same current but i don't understand it when it comes from the equation I=nqvA. surely this would mean that a greater area A, means a current. thanks

What do you mean by “…A greater A means a current”?

about 2 hours ago

A high resistance voltmeter records the potential difference across a battery which is connected to a variable resistor of resistance R,

The reading on the voltmeter, V, takes the following values: V=V𝟢 when R=R𝟢 and V=V𝟣 when R=R𝟣,

calculate the internal resistance r,

can anyone do this?
A submarine floats in the ocean with half of its volume submerged. Calculate the mass of water required in the ballast tank in order that it may float completely submerged. The total volume of the submarine is 1200m3. Someone help me work this out as I missed the lesson we covered this. Thanks
recall that the value of specific latent heat for a substance is different for melting/solidifying and for evaporating/condensing SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME
best way to revise physics for the new alevel course? any good resources/tips please?
could somebody please explain me Q3)d) Where is the force 2.7 on the spring acting and how the spring can not have extension when weight is acting on it. Answers to previous parts are a)500 b)1.3 c)2.7
http://pastpapers.papacambridge.com/..._w17_qp_22.pdf
who is sitting the OCR Physics exams on the 15th May 2018????
Hey guys, i need huge help

I have a tideous revision method which is; i get a wrong answer from a practise test, mark X, then what i do is, on a new sheet of paper, write the solutions to the question, with parts to help me understand the question. This is a problem because it is too long and i want to know if someone does eomthing better to understand it quickly and just moves on and does other questions...
Capture.PNG
Can anyone help me with this please? I have no idea where to even start... What should be the pivot even?
Original post by cj104
Capture.PNG
Can anyone help me with this please? I have no idea where to even start... What should be the pivot even?

Took me about 10 mins to get my head around, only got answer through trial and error by taking pivot about different points, eventually here was my answer:

Take pivot as the tip of the ladder and equations for moments have to be calculated vertically and horizontally.

When you have an equation for each for vertical and horizontal moments, rearrange them both for “0=“ and then equate them.

Rearrange final equation for one of the answers, my answer was A can I check if this is correct? Thanks.59A9679C-F674-4AC2-8629-47203983C4E9.jpg.jpeg
Original post by JR127
Took me about 10 mins to get my head around, only got answer through trial and error by taking pivot about different points, eventually here was my answer:

Take pivot as the tip of the ladder and equations for moments have to be calculated vertically and horizontally.

When you have an equation for each for vertical and horizontal moments, rearrange them both for “0=“ and then equate them.

Rearrange final equation for one of the answers, my answer was A can I check if this is correct? Thanks.59A9679C-F674-4AC2-8629-47203983C4E9.jpg.jpeg

Yes, it's A. Thank you so much!!! :smile:
Original post by JR127

Where does F x 0 come from?
Original post by XTim96
Where does F x 0 come from?

The distance between the top force F and the pivot is 0 metres. It’s irrelevant I just put it in for the sake of it
i don't understand/forgot F=mgsin theta. How was it sin theta? is it worked out through trignometry or something, or/and gravity acts vertically down
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Batman2k1
i don't understand/forgot F=mgsin theta. How was it sin theta? is it worked out through trignometry or something, or/and gravity acts vertically down

image.jpg

Latest