Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I wanted to know what Degrees I could do at Uni (Russel Group Universities), with

Maths, Chem and Physics at AAA at A2 level, and a C or B for Biology at AS

Please could you tell me what I could do with these subjects at Uni, Excluding Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airmail)
    Hi,

I wanted to know what Degrees I could do at Uni (Russel Group Universities), with

Please could you tell me what I could do with these subjects at Uni, Excluding Medicine

I'm afraid you will just have to get up close and personal with UCAS Course Search. There's no other way.

ReputationRep:
    Math, Chemistry, Physics,Chemical Engineering, Engineering... pretty much anything except for medicine and certain courses in humanities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Well, there would be

Maths
    Chem
    Physics

any combination of the above
    pretty much any engineering course or other courses that use a lot of maths

then the vast array of subjects that do not require specific A Levels
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I did geology with those A levels - perfect background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I did geology with those A levels - perfect background.
    hello, when you study something do you look at the future prospects ie employability, or do you study something because you love it?

surely its a ,mixture of the two, but what can you do with geology after you graduate?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    hello, when you study something do you look at the future prospects ie employability, or do you study something because you love it?

surely its a ,mixture of the two, but what can you do with geology after you graduate?
    To me employability wasn't a factor when picking my subject - but that's because I have a VERY low boredom threshold so knew I needed to find a subject that would hold my interest for 3+ years (all I got from maths, physics & chem A level was a certainty that I didn't want to study any of them for another 3 years, similarly an engineering summer school made it clear to me that engineering wasn't something for me - it was a case of me gradually crossing things off the list).

Lucky for me geology is a really versatile degree, the market for people wanting to work in geology is very strong (and covers a whole range of careers from environmental risk analysis jobs to theoretical academic work through to working out in the field for oil/gas/mineral companies). On top of that it's a scientific degree that is based very firmly in real world applications and examples. I had friends who went into work with chemistry companies (we got to play with much more fun lab equipment than the chemists - my dissertation was using x-ray diffraction to identify clay components and link that back to palaeoclimates in a specific area). The degree also involves a significant amount of displaying data and information graphically (and interpreting graphical information to come to conclusions). When I graduated I had offers from a couple of banks (but they were very sales based roles so not something I fancied) and had a job offer from the civil service fast stream (which I turned down because I didn't want to move to london).

I've ended up working for the university I did my degree at doing something completely unrelated to rocks but that uses my data handling and interpretation skills all the time. One friend I knew at uni who got a low 2ii is now teaching GCSE and A level chemistry (and A level geology), a lot of the rest have gone on to work in industry or academia with a handful doing jobs in computer programming/project management and the usual handful who ended up working for accountancy/audit companies.

Most science based degrees would offer a similar range of opportunities (without the fall back of the big oil/gas/mineral companies and often without the opportunities to travel so much), engineering degrees have excellent employment prospects. But with any course if it isn't something that will hold your interest and allow you to excel and use your talents then you're wasting your time studying it.

My point in replying wasn't to say "do geology" it was to say "you've got a HUGE range of options - get exploring and find out what gets you excited and then follow that". I came very VERY close to applying for meteorology instead of geology but at that point it was only available to study at Reading and I *assumed* reading was grim (it is NOT) - with your A levels that would be another option if you're interested in that sort of course.

There's a whole world of science and engineering beyond the topics available at A level and you've got the subject range that allows you to pick and choose!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You could go for Natural Sciences, or a straight Chem or Physics degree I would imagine.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.