The Student Room Group

Is homophobia as bad as racism?

In your opinion, is homophobia as bad is racism? I believe it is, as one cannot truly choose their sexual orientation, much like one cannot choose their race.
As such, should homophobia be cracked down on in society to the extent that racism is? After all, it is really frowned upon to say racist things in most social settings, should it not be the same for homophobic things, such as using the word "gay" as an insult?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well... yeah. Nowadays, I'd say homophobia is quite rare, tbh.
Reply 2
Homosexuals don't own the word 'gay'. To try to ban its use in situations is stupid since it means multiple things.
Reply 3
Original post by Kiss
Homosexuals don't own the word 'gay'. To try to ban its use in situations is stupid since it means multiple things.

In nowadays society 'gay' means bad, or being gay.

Which shouldn't be.
Reply 4
I think Homophobia is worse than racism.

At least there could be some reasons for being against some races i.e. putting stress on public services, claiming benefits and not putting anything into the system etc etc (just putting some ideas out there, not necessary my own opinion).

What's wrong with gays? It doesn't bother me. Just normal human beings who bat for the other team. I wouldn't want a gay person making out in-front of me but then i'm against 'straights' making out in-front of me. I can not think of one reason why someone would hate against gays or think it's a bad thing.

I think a child should get the same punishment for calling someone gay as calling someone a paki. It's insulting someone and should not be tolerated. I used to say the work 'gay' instead of saying a swear word like '****, I dropped my cookie' when I was younger not thinking it would offend anybody so yes, I should of been punished and I did during my flute lesson when I said it (I never new my flute teacher was gay before then!)
Reply 5
Original post by Kiss

Sure, but if I was to say 'stop being gay!' to a teacher for giving me extra homework is wrong. Not only for insulting a teacher but insinuating that being gay is wrong and an insult.

If I was to say 'what a gay baby' meaning 'what a happy baby' you are right, they don't 'own' the word but I guess these days it's less likely to be about being happy.
Original post by Michaelj
Well... yeah. Nowadays, I'd say homophobia is quite rare, tbh.

No way as rare as it should be.
Reply 7
Not at all.

You need to also keep in mind that a lot of reasonable objections against homosexuals are also considered homophobia unfortunately.

I feel that, whatever attention Homophobia gets, so too should incestphobia, necrophobia, bestialityphobia (they'll all be in the dictionary one dw) etc. which are normally brushed aside.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Not at all.

You need to also keep in mind that a lot of reasonable objections against homosexuals are also considered homophobia unfortunately.

I wasn't aware there were any...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it is, purely because who says sexual orientation is genetic? I think it perhaps develops through life and life experiences, largely like personality.
Not to say homophobia is acceptable, just that I think racism probably is worse because you have NO control over that.
Reply 10
Original post by Annuhlees
I think a child should get the same punishment for calling someone gay

What if they are gay?

as calling someone a paki.

What if they are a paki?

It's insulting someone and should not be tolerated.

Why, is there something wrong with being gay/a paki? :confused:
Original post by Annuhlees
I think Homophobia is worse than racism.

At least there could be some reasons for being against some races i.e. putting stress on public services, claiming benefits and not putting anything into the system etc etc (just putting some ideas out there, not necessary my own opinion).

What's wrong with gays? It doesn't bother me. Just normal human beings who bat for the other team. I wouldn't want a gay person making out in-front of me but then i'm against 'straights' making out in-front of me. I can not think of one reason why someone would hate against gays or think it's a bad thing.

I think a child should get the same punishment for calling someone gay as calling someone a paki. It's insulting someone and should not be tolerated. I used to say the work 'gay' instead of saying a swear word like '****, I dropped my cookie' when I was younger not thinking it would offend anybody so yes, I should of been punished and I did during my flute lesson when I said it (I never new my flute teacher was gay before then!)

That is nothing to do with race, perhaps more nationals from other countries. Race is pretty much ethnicity and skin colour and an Asian person could live in Britain and be culturally British, so to discriminate against them for their skin colour has no valid basis really. To be against immigrants coming and claiming benefits is fair enough, though.
Homophobic people tend to use the 'it's not natural' argument and try to extend it into saying it's damaging our perception of a traditional family unit.
Original post by NB_ide
What if they are gay?

What if they are a paki?

Why, is there something wrong with being gay/a paki? :confused:

Paki is usually used in an insulting manner, similar to n*****, Pakistani however should be fine, as should gay because gay people would refer to themselves as gay!
Original post by joker12345
I don't think it is, purely because who says sexual orientation is genetic? I think it perhaps develops through life and life experiences, largely like personality.
Not to say homophobia is acceptable, just that I think racism probably is worse because you have NO control over that.

Sexaulity not being genetic doesn't mean you have control over it.
YES. People are getting tortured and murdered all around the world (esp Russia right now) for being gay, or even TALKING ABOUT IT.

The exact same thing used to happen to POC, it's wrong. Its sick. And no one should be made fun of, degraded, tortured or killed about something they cannot change, and have no reason to change.

Honestly a good few years and the whole thing in Russia will be like the apartheid, and people will look back and see just how wrong it was.
Reply 15
Though I don't really think it's worth comparing, I don't think you could say one is worse than the other, since neither are things that you choose yourself, and therefore don't deserve to be discriminated against.
Reply 16
In principle yes, but I think too many things are branded homophobic.
Example: I am bisexual, yet i use the word faggot to insult someone who i think is being a coward. It isnt me being homophobic.
Original post by shadowdweller
Sexaulity not being genetic doesn't mean you have control over it.

No, but we can't categorise sexuality with race then, it's rather more similar to personality in the way it appears.
Reply 18
Yes. You shouldn't be prejudiced against people for what they are.

Pejorative use of words like "gay" is problematic because it identifies an innate quality of some people with being a bad thing.
Original post by joker12345
No, but we can't categorise sexuality with race then, it's rather more similar to personality in the way it appears.

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Latest

Trending

Trending