The Student Room Group
Reply 1
And to you too...

Mine is in a few hours (7 to be exact...and no i dont live in the UK!)

Unit 5 will be a challenge, only hope something totally unexpected doesn't come up. I found the syllabus to be quite vague :-/
Reply 2
And I thought I was the only Edexcel candidate here!

Unit 4 and 5 went pretty well actually... I was worried about Unit 5, but it turned out to be much easier than 4 :smile:
Reply 3
5 was harder than 4, but never the less, quite do-able.
Reply 4
Okay just got home a while ago after doing the papers...

U4 was pretty straight forward, finished it in less than an hour..a couple of surprises here and there but w/e

U5 was...stupid, for lack of a better term. Such simple questions with hefty marks alloted to them. Simple if u knew the stuff of course! But i must say that the rest of the paper was hard, well...harder than U4.

Overall i hope to manage an A in both *fingers crossed*

(a nice feeling after my maths C4 fiasco...UGH...omg i dont even want to think abt that exam :frown: :frown: )
wtf was up with that question where you had to write in assembly language?
i did not get that alot i wrote some bull****. bloody 8 marks gone....

on a side note - m2 and c4 were very very ghey.
Reply 6
ant247

Are we talking about the same papers?
LOL, we didnt get a question on that. You guys are talking Edexcel Computing right?
Reply 7
ant247

you didn't have to write assembly language.. you could just describe how the arithmetic, Logical and transfer operations could be used in the appropriate code line. BEsides, 1 mark was for explaining each of these and the other 1 for how would it be used in relation to the code.
come on.. it was easy...
you could write assembly but then.. assembly language varies from pc to pc... i just described how each function would relate to the respective code line they asked for.

i thought both papers were pretty straight forward... no shockers or anything... in fact they were both easy...

don't know what i got for the the coursework.. the teacher wont tell me the marks...

edexcel still sucks though...

Unit 5- 6 ways a user interacts with GUI? flippin hell... i spent ages on that one. my university would laugh at these papers if they saw that this is the level of computing the british curriculum teaches.. specially edexcel. AQA still have some integrity left.
anyway.. theyre scrapping the course (edexcel).
Reply 8
mc.gister
Okay just got home a while ago after doing the papers...

U4 was pretty straight forward, finished it in less than an hour..a couple of surprises here and there but w/e

U5 was...stupid, for lack of a better term. Such simple questions with hefty marks alloted to them. Simple if u knew the stuff of course! But i must say that the rest of the paper was hard, well...harder than U4.

Overall i hope to manage an A in both *fingers crossed*

(a nice feeling after my maths C4 fiasco...UGH...omg i dont even want to think abt that exam :frown: :frown: )

seriously? you found 5 harder than 4?.. i thought unit 5 was a gift... no algorithm that even the dumbest guy would not understand... standard edexcel questions... vague but then.. if you know their marking scheme style... then you're fine.

good that edexcel are scrapping this incompetent course....
AQA though.. still up there with their course content and the level of complexity they dive into...
oh whoops sorry.
i do aqa.
i shall leave :smile:
ant247
oh whoops sorry.
i do aqa.
i shall leave :smile:

And leave you shall.

Not a single thing I revised thoroughly came in the exam!!! Did Unit 4! Was waffling through most! And come Unit 5, a migraine developed...30 minutes into the exam...I couldn't take it...and walked out! Thats me redoing it next year! :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by G&#949
And leave you shall.

Not a single thing I revised thoroughly came in the exam!!! Did Unit 4! Was waffling through most! And come Unit 5, a migraine developed...30 minutes into the exam...I couldn't take it...and walked out! Thats me redoing it next year! :frown:

don't worry man. There are less than 900 people around the WORLD who do edexcel computing.... if you found it hard, then many other would have too. If a lot of people found it hard then the grade boundaries will drop.... although it seems unlikely.. but then without being too cocky, i finished the syllabus in 2 months... and yeh.. im the only one who take the subject in my school. :biggrin:

again... thats the problem with such courses.. most people who take a-level computing are people who know more than the course anyway.. so they might as well get an easy A.. obviously the exam technique and the other stuff has its own say...

heh.. migrane.. sorry man.. but maybe its not as bad as it seems... if you have a decent AS level and your coursework..then it may well be that you can get the grade you want this year.
Reply 12
faraz
again... thats the problem with such courses.. most people who take a-level computing are people who know more than the course anyway.. so they might as well get an easy A.. obviously the exam technique and the other stuff has its own say...

Weelllllllll, yes most people would know more than the course. But definately not all. Last year there were around 20 ppl in my school doing AS computing, and seriously....none of them knew jack. I take a heavy interest in computing and thats why I literally flew through U1 (100) and got a 90 something in U2, and an 89 for coursework.

Im glad in a way that they hadnt scrapped the course whilst i was doing it, i still prefer it to A-level ICT. However I wish my school offered the ICT double award...my teacher said there's a helluva lot of programming involved in that.

About the exam: In unit5, the explanation for "indentifying programming activities" was just daft... i mean its pretty self explanatory! I probably lost marks there...then the critical path analysis question, i had no idea about the diagram, so lost a mark there as well. The GUI question was strange, I dont know how it landed up in an A2 exam paper...i seriously dont. Thats GCSE stuff...but w/e, free marks :biggrin:

In U4, the identifying tables in 3NF was harder than previous years IMO, but i did it nevertheless. It was nice to see ERD squeeze its way in as well...

Anyway cannot dwell on this anymore, have to prepare for PHY6 for day after! God i hate synoptic papers :frown:
Reply 13
yeh.. Unit 6... Physics..
good god. send the angels to help

Latest

Trending

Trending