Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Opinions on Manchester Vs Nottingham for Comp Sci....?!? :confused:

PS - All posts by andy ried on this thread will be deleted
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know about Manchester.. but I've put Nottingham down as my firm because I am pretty certain that it's the University for me! The campus is brilliant, and the nightlife in the city is good..

Have you visited both yet? You'd be hard pushed to make a decision based on reputation, because they are basiclaly equal I think.
Leekey
Badges: 9
(Original post by James_W)
Have you visited both yet? You'd be hard pushed to make a decision based on reputation, because they are basiclaly equal I think.
Visited both and loved both. I know Manchester really well which is kinda double-edged because on the one hand I already have friends there and on the other hand it would be nice to go somewhere new.

Academically they seem pretty much inseperable although Notts has a fractionally better rep overall (I think), Manchester has the nice (MSci friendly) 5* department.

One thing I could use to seperate them is the accomodation. Manchester seems to have better than Notts. Although I havent actually seen the accomodation at Notts. Any checked it out?!? What did you think? :confused:

My offer from Notts is AAB (but they have assured me that BBB would gain entry) and the Manchester offer is ABB. I looking at getting AABB / ABBB / ABBC so that isnt much help really!!!
Peapod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Notts accomodation is ok if you get on university campus, dreadful if not.

I thought you'd decided on manchester, what changed your mind?
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As I said in the other thread... if you've got nothing to seperate the two - you need to go with your gut instinct!
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Opinions on Manchester Vs Nottingham for Comp Sci....?!? :confused:

PS - All posts by andy ried on this thread will be deleted

dunno much bout comp sci, but overall, notts is better.......but my mates love manchester and choosing it above notts. they love manc city. i've seen accom at notts........its not great. i wouldn't wanna live there, and esp cos most r catered for. the self-catering halls r ****.
Leekey
(Original post by Peapod)
Notts accomodation is ok if you get on university campus, dreadful if not.

I thought you'd decided on manchester, what changed your mind?
I've not changed my mind (to do that you have to make it up first ). I just keep changing due to my indecisive nature!!!

I would be studying on the Jubilee Campus which means that Raleigh Park would be the closest accomodation, I have been advised against this though and think that I would stay on the University Park and walk the 0.7 miles to the Jubilee Campus (being a gym freak comes in handy sometimes )!!!
Leekey
(Original post by James_W)
As I said in the other thread... if you've got nothing to seperate the two - you need to go with your gut instinct!
Im far too indecisive to do that!!! I get the feeling that if I just forced myself to do it on the UCAS tracker, I would end up ringing them several times to change my mind!!!
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've not changed my mind (to do that you have to make it up first ). I just keep changing due to my indecisive nature!!!

I would be studying on the Jubilee Campus which means that Raleigh Park would be the closest accomodation, I have been advised against this though and think that I would stay on the University Park and walk the 0.7 miles to the Jubilee Campus (being a gym freak comes in handy sometimes )!!!

well jubilee campus is lovely......lol if ur rich enough, u could stay at Newark or Southall (if thats wot its called)
Leekey
(Original post by wonkey)
well jubilee campus is lovely......lol if ur rich enough, u could stay at Newark or Southall (if thats wot its called)
I know its lovely (all new and shiny), the problem with me staying on the Jubilee Campus Accomodation would be that it is Catered and I want to cook for myself. This leaves the only accomodation on the Jubilee Campus being Raleigh Park, which I have been told to aviod due to it being crap!!!
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i was very taken with nottingham when i went on an open day. the campus is lovely and green. the accomodation was alright; the girl showing us around said that hugh stewart halls were the best but they looked a bit shabby. anyway i was pretty much decided on nottingham as being my first choice. however i still had an interview to do at manchester (somewhere i wasn't really bothered about) a couple of weeks later. nottingham city itself is great: the victoria shopping centre is one of the nicest i've seen and there's plenty of nightlife and venues (rock city, junktion 7, rescue rooms, the ice arena). crime is not something that concerns me as i live in neighbouring derby and it's not all over the news every night as that **** reid guy seems to think.

i got to manchester for the interview and absolutely fell in love with the place. it was like london but smaller and therefore less intimidating. i loved the sound of 5th avenue (club) - like a larger version of derby's amazing bluenote. the uni itself is very prestigious and will have an even better reputation with the UMIST merger (probably overtaking nottingham in the end if not already). the library and facilities were breathtaking and i was in total awe. the city was so cosmopolitan and diverse; i was with my dad for the day and after the interview we wandered into the centre, got eversoslightly lost and ended up down a backstreet of the city's chinatown where we stopped and had a gorgeous lunch. the buses and metro service were also regular and fast. all in all i was really impressed, so in the end i chose manchester over nottingham. it sounds like your mind is made up anyway!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think most people on here know my bias by now, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for Manchester. Especially for computer science, I think Manchester is particularly top notch for it. As somebody mentioned, the UMIST involvement will open doors if you want to be involved with the big guys in the industry, especially internationally. Put simply, I think Manchester is a bit more on the map than Nottingham for these things.
Leekey
I think Im going to stick to Manchester as my firm but instead of having Loughborough as my insurance Im going to switch it to Notts. The Notts offer is actually higher than the Manc one but last year the averge entry grades were lower for Notts so I think that they would be more willing to accept me if I slipped a grade than Manc would!!! Plus this way I can give myself more time to think it over. The only down side would be if I missed my offer completely and had to go into clearing (not ideal but Cardiff usually have places in clearing...)!!!
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think Im going to stick to Manchester as my firm but instead of having Loughborough as my insurance Im going to switch it to Notts. The Notts offer is actually higher than the Manc one but last year the averge entry grades were lower for Notts so I think that they would be more willing to accept me if I slipped a grade than Manc would!!! Plus this way I can give myself more time to think it over. The only down side would be if I missed my offer completely and had to go into clearing (not ideal but Cardiff usually have places in clearing...)!!!
risky mate, but im sure youll get the requirements :cool:
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've been to Nottingham on an overnight course thing, so got to saty in the accomodation there, on the main university campus. I stayed in Cripps, which had nice big rooms, but they weren't particularly nice...although we did meet some people staying at the other end of Cripps who said it was alright, so I think some rooms have been refurbished.

One of my other friends went on the Medlink course, and stayed in Hugh Stewart, and thought it was really nice.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.59%
No (554)
60.95%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise