The Student Room Group

Need Urgent Advice for last minute clearing!

Ok so it turns out that me waiting on my gap year to apply for Kings isn't going to happen, I did a BTEC Extended Diploma with grades D*D*D*, I want to go into the games industry as a games programmer so which clearing course would be best for me?

If there any other courses you know of please tell me, thanks in advance.

Brunel University - Computer Science (Digital Media and Games)
City University - Computer Science with Games Technology
Royal Holloway - Computer Science
Kingston University - Computer Science (Games Programming)

Also is it possible for me to do 1 year at one of these universities and then transfer myself to Kings College London on the 2nd year?

Another question how long will student finance take to arrive and what should I do if I don't get it when term starts? Plus I live in the north of the UK and need to find accomodation in London.
(edited 10 years ago)
It may be possible to transfer, but you will have to accept that it is not. Why can you no longer take a gap year?

Your student finance is very unlikely to arrive before term starts at this stage. Do you have any savings to live on? The university may offer you some support, or you may have to use your overdraft and get a job. Could your parents offer you some support?

Accomadation is difficult. Anything left at this stage in London is likely to be expensive, awful, or in an inconvenient location. You will need to pay a deposit ASAP to seccure a place as well. It is very likely you will be asked for rent before your loan comes though. University accomadation may be understanding about this, but private accomadation will be less so. Ask the universities when you contact them if they still have any accomadation spaces left.

This is going to be very difficult financially, and it really would be much better to take a gap year.
Reply 2
Out of all those listed, is Kings the better? Do you think it would be worth it for me wait it out a year instead of applying now, the job I had during the gap year is gone due to work closing down and unemployment in my area is sky high so right now it is straining my parents on financial issues.

I could study in college for another year before I go which would stop all financial difficulties of my current gap year as the government pays for education. However the computing department in my college is lacky with 1 room and a few computers with no computing tutors, as they all quit last year due to how horrible the place was, they only have replacement tutors from a range of skills right now such as P.E tutors and Hair & Beauty, which is another off-putting decision on whether or not to go to college again.

I may not even get guaranteed spot at Kings next year and so It could also had been a waste as I could of went to the other 4 choices.

I need to make up for the 1 year lost as it could have been a year of working in the future.

What advice can people give me?
Gap year or Late Clearing?
I can see why you want to go now, but you do need to think really carefully about the financial issues.

What would you do if your student loan did not come in until November?

There is no harm in asking the universities if they would accept you, though. If you are seriously considering going this September, you need to contact them ASAP.
Reply 4
Royal Holloway says they will accept me, not sure on the others yet.

Also if my student loan doesn't come through there are family in London I could stay with and my student account gives me a £2k 0% overdraft.

The other issue here is which course from these universities would benefit me in the long run? Which of the them are top tier universities? (A lot of graduate jobs in comp science says top tier)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tkenson
Royal Holloway says they will accept me, not sure on the others yet.

Also if my student loan doesn't come through there are family in London I could stay with and my student account gives me a £2k 0% overdraft.

The other issue here is which course from these universities would benefit me in the long run? Which of the them are top tier universities? (A lot of graduate jobs in comp science says top tier)

Sorry its off topic but who did you open an account with for the 2k

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending