Omg! I wonder why I decided not to look at the league tables!!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I never knew the London Institute was 55th out of like 250????
It's even higher than Bournemouth which is lower than all the other places I applied to including South Bank!!!!!

And on the Guardian Media one it's like even higher as well!

Wow, that would have put even more uneccesary pressure on me had I known that!

Hows everybody?
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
bUT bOURNEMOUTH IS NUMBER 1 FOR MEDIA
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What course are you doing at the LCP? What grades for gcse and a Level do you have?

(Sorry that sounded nosey...)
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wish I'd looked at the league tables. Bath topped the Times table for maths three years running. Damn.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Kates, not for Journalism it isn't!!!
I've got ****e grades but I can write, if I'm not too egotistical to say, much better than most people at college can spell (We have 87% dyslexic people at college). I've got C's in Media Studies, Film Studies, Communication Studies. D's in English Language(though I explained that it was because what the course said it was and what it really was were two completely different things), D in Psychology, as the teacher never showed up. However I'm fluent in French and have work experience at the BBC and News International.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I've got C's in Media Studies, Film Studies, Communication Studies.
Though in most of those I got 2 outta 3 A grades. I even won a prize for my AS Media Studies coursework at a Student film competition!
I have several exam papers I've scored 100% in.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I knew Salford was generaly low in the league tables when I applied but I knew it was 36 for computer science so I didn't really care as the course looked good and I liked the university.

As longs as I get a job when I graduate I will be more than happy with my uni. League tables don't tell the entire story.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Kates, not for Journalism it isn't!!!
I've got ****e grades but I can write, if I'm not too egotistical to say, much better than most people at college can spell (We have 87% dyslexic people at college). I've got C's in Media Studies, Film Studies, Communication Studies. D's in English Language(though I explained that it was because what the course said it was and what it really was, were two completely different things), D in Psychology, as the teacher never showed up. However I'm fluent in French and have work experience at the BBC and News International.
I know someone who doesn't have great grades either - he thinks that defines him as stupid (he's far from it though). On his course most people have A's and B's as GCSE and good a levels, but they can't spell properly and their grammer makes no sense... Shows that grades don't always mean as much as people think...

Congrats on your place, and I'm sure you'll do really well.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Oh totally, 'mazin. I only chose LCC because it felt "right".
Plus the computers that had just come in with love from Rupert Murdock...plus Pierce Brosnan went there so I can say I went to James Bond's University!!!
I'm sooo sad
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sorry, Im confused, are there new league tables out or something?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by me!)
I know someone who doesn't have great grades either - he thinks that defines him as stupid (he's far from it though). On his course most people have A's and B's as GCSE and good a levels, but they can't spell properly and their grammer makes no sense... Shows that grades don't always mean as much as people think...

Congrats on your place, and I'm sure you'll do really well.
Sorry
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by me!)
Shows that grades don't always mean as much as people think...
Thanks, I know I'm not stupid I just don't work very hard. We did that video in a day and most of it was smashing things and getting stoned hijinx and American Hi-Fi cleverly stuck over the top

I can argue with the best of them and have made a lot of people change their political ideas. Plus being a journalist has always been my dream and I'm such a control freak I think I am made for it!
Thanks I'm not trying to boast or anything but my parents are a bit too old to understand. My dad got his degree via OU and my mum can't remember school, they are like 63 and 58 though, so I don't blame them!

They were so angry with me at one point and keep highlighting the fact that I could of done so well, I was tipped to be an Oxbridge applicant at the beginning of school because I was so ahead of everybody else.

That's just the way life goes though, and besides now I can tell people if their dealer is short changing them plus act like a stuck up upper class snob which probably allows me even more ground when it comes to investigative journalism
me!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Sorry

ok ok and I can't write properly :rolleyes:

grammar
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Sorry, Im confused, are there new league tables out or something?
No, I can tell there is a subtle DIG in that comment. However there is not, I just never looked because facts and figures don't mean as much to me as feelings and dreams.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by me!)
ok ok and I can't write properly :rolleyes:

grammar
It's only because it's the 'net. Usually my spelling and grammar are perfect, that is the upperhand I did have in English Language! I was the only person in the ENTIRE English faculty that had 100% spelling and grammar for the duration of the year in spelling and grammar tests. I even corrected the teachers
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks, I know I'm not stupid I just don't work very hard.
Won't that hinder you in your journalism career if you don't work hard? I heard one has to work VERY hard in competitive careers such as journalism to get to the top.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Lol I got good rep because I'm gorgeous! Wonder if they've cottoned on that is Britney Spears and not me!? hahaha
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adhsur)
Won't that hinder you in your journalism career if you don't work hard? I heard one has to work VERY hard in competitive careers such as journalism to get to the top.
Oh totally, I've seen the error of my ways and all that cliche stuff plus I never really cared before. I was having personal crisis with home and myself and it just didn't seem that important. However this is the only thing I've ever clung onto and I know I'll make a sucess of it, and I am willing to work as hard as it takes and more to get to where I want to be. I have the determination to do it, I've just been "saving it up"
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's only because it's the 'net. Usually my spelling and grammar are perfect, that is the upperhand I did have in English Language! I was the only person in the ENTIRE English faculty that had 100% spelling and grammar for the duration of the year in spelling and grammar tests. I even corrected the teachers
Gosh, what kind of school do you go to?! hehehe...
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adhsur)
Gosh, what kind of school do you go to?! hehehe...
The worst part of it was it was like the 5th best 6th form college in the country!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.64%
Excited (155)
9.16%
Worried (304)
17.96%
Terrified (376)
22.21%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%