The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

18+ Student Oyster Photocard

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Flowerii
Slightly different question - do you think the student oyster card is actually worth it? What made you decide to get one?
It's a lot of money for one year, even with the discount, but I can't help but think I'll end up underestimating how much I'll use the Tube . . .
Ah, decisions, decisions . . .

For me, I need to go from zone 6 to zone 1 so it will be very worth it, although expensive. It is cheaper than paying as you go because you can use buses and underground/overground an unlimited amount of times within the period covered by your travelcard. You should get it if you will stay at home because if you don't, imagine how much you'll be paying (peak prices, etc...).
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Original post by printergirl
They've taken the payment already but it says they are still waiting for the uni to confirm, but I haven't enrolled yet. If I don't get the money back they should have made it clearer, I'll have to commute to UCL by tube and it'll be more expensive for me while I have to apply only when I get to ucl

Hopefully they're not stingy and wait for confirmation rather than rejecting your application! They only need to wait a few more days so it would be really harsh if they rejected your application. Fingers crossed!
Reply 22
Original post by Yoyo94
For me, I need to go from zone 6 to zone 1 so it will be very worth it, although expensive. It is cheaper than paying as you go because you can use buses and underground/overground an unlimited amount of times within the period covered by your travelcard. You should get it if you will stay at home because if you don't, imagine how much you'll be paying (peak prices, etc...).

I'm living in a student house in Zone 3 and there's a direct bus route to my university in Zone 1, but I'm also looking to get a part time job somewhere (ideally at a bike shop, so I could use my bike to commute.)
But I'm studying an arts course, and there are quite a few trips to galleries and exhibitions throughout the year, which I'm assuming will be spread across London. Plus my friends and I are going to meet up most weekends at the British Library to study (yeah, I know) which is probably in Zone 1 . . .
Ahh, I'm panicking! Sorry for dropping such pointless information on you!
Reply 23
Original post by zaima
Did you not have a day when you went to enrol?

I had mine last week at LSBU, so that meant that I could apply for the oyster card. They gave me a student ID number than but they had been putting this on the emails they were sending me.

So you probably can apply with the student ID they have been using in your emails

Nope, I will be enrolling on the 23rd (they instructed me to do so on the 23rd) but I know a friend of mine who needs to go on the 22nd (a Sunday) so I guess it's different for the individual departments.

But the difference is that you had already fully enrolled before you applied for your Oyster card. For me, I haven't yet fully enrolled and so according to TfL and UCL, my application will be rejected unless I applied after enrolment, even though I know my student number.

Thanks for your post anyway :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Flowerii
I'm living in a student house in Zone 3 and there's a direct bus route to my university in Zone 1, but I'm also looking to get a part time job somewhere (ideally at a bike shop, so I could use my bike to commute.)
But I'm studying an arts course, and there are quite a few trips to galleries and exhibitions throughout the year, which I'm assuming will be spread across London. Plus my friends and I are going to meet up most weekends at the British Library to study (yeah, I know) which is probably in Zone 1 . . .
Ahh, I'm panicking! Sorry for dropping such pointless information on you!

There's no shame in spending your weekends at the library studying! It's much better than spending them partying in my opinion!

You would be better off getting the 18+ Oyster photocard rather than the adult Oyster card, since you pay 30% less. That's my first point.

My second point is that if you do the maths, then you'll find that getting the monthly or yearly travelcard from zones 1-3 will be so much cheaper for you than if you pay as you go. If you were to use the bus 2 times a day (going there and back) using pay as you go, and if you travel 7 times a week, then that's 14 bus journeys per week. 14 bus journeys multiplied by 4 weeks is 56 buses per month. The price for one bus journey is £1.40 so that will be £78.40 a month, just for 2 bus journeys a day.

A monthly bus travel pass for unlimited bus usage is £52.70 for 18+ Oyster photocards but £75.30 for an adult Oyster card.

A monthly travelcard (unlimited bus, tube, overground and DLR) from zones 1-3 is £95.70 for 18+ student Oyster cards, but £136.80 for adults.

So by all that maths, it would be best if you got the 18+ Oyster student photocard and bought the monthly travelcard for unlimited everything. If you want an annual one, it is cheaper than 12x the monthly rate.

Anyway here's the website I'm getting all this info from: For travelcards: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx
For bus passes: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14415.aspx

You must make sure to click on the 18+ student link because you will first be shown the adult prices.

Good luck!
Reply 25
If you live in zone X, where X>2, You may want to save more money by buying travelcards from zone X to zone 2 rather than zone 1 and continue by bus.
Here is a list of ideal stations in zone 2 close to UCL (within 2.5 miles or 4 km) so you can travel to one of these stations without passing through zone 1.

-Morninton Crescent (or Camden Town, if you took a train to Morden via Bank then get off at Camden Town and either change for a trian to Kennington via Charing Cross to get off at Morninton Crescent or take a bus from Camden Town) then take the bus route 24 , 29 , or 134 to UCL, or walk to UCL if you like walking.

- Camden Road, then take the bus route 29 to UCL. (Alternatively if you come via west hampstead, you could change at west hampstead for the National rail to kentish town, then the northen line to Mornington Crescent or Camden Town. This may save you time BUT the National rail comes every half an hour, so check the timetable).

- Caledonian Road, then take the bus route 91 to Upper Woburn Place or Russell Square Station, or take the bus 91 to king's cross then take the bus route 10, 73 , or 390. depends on where your lecture is taking place. (You may wish to take the Overground from Caledonian Road and Barnsbury to Camden Road).

- St John's Wood, then take the bus route 13, 82, or 113 to Baker Street Station then take the bus route 18, 30, or 205 to Warren Street station (change for the bus route 24, 29 , or 134) or Euston Square Station (change for the bus route 10, 73, or 390) or Euston Station. (you may wish to change at west hamptead for the Overgroud to Camden Road or for the National rail to kentish town, then the northen line to Mornington Crescent or Camden Town. The second way is quicker BUT the National rail comes every half an hour, so check the timetable).

- Warwick Avenue, .then take the bus route 18 to Warren Street station (change for the bus route 24, 29, or 134) or Euston Square Station (change for the bus route 10, 73, or 390) or Euston Station.

-Royal Oak, then take the bus route 18 to Warren Street station (change for the bus route 24, 29, or 134) or Euston Square Station (change for the bus route 10, 73, or 390) or Euston Station.

Make sure you have enough pay as you go credit on your oyster in case the traffic is slow in zone 1, so you go to the nearest station and take the tube to UCL and don't miss the lecture. Also if you wake up late for some reason.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yoyo94
Yes, that is correct :frown: What I'd do now is I would start off an application by pressing this link: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/showLogon.do?selection=student#middle and by pressing on "Create web account".

Fill in all your details but do not send off your application. You can save it and continue your application at any time so don't worry, what you do now will not be lost or a waste of time.

When you are asked for your enrolment number, look for your enrolment/pre-enrolment email from UCL. Your enrolment number (student number) should be quoted on all these emails. It should be 8-digits long.

Upload your photo, etc.. (make sure it is a minimum of 300dpi) and then proceed to the confirmation step. Do NOT proceed to the payment page, otherwise your application will be rejected because you haven't yet enrolled.

So just create your online application, complete it, but do not pay or send it off. Once you enrol on the 25th, pay for your application as soon as you get home so it gets processed as soon as possible.

I'm just trying to save you time :smile: Good luck!

Thank you soooo much!!!!
Reply 27
Original post by Naalm
If you live in zone X, where X>2, You may want to save more money by buying travelcards from zone X to zone 2 rather than zone 1 and continue by bus.
Here is a list of ideal stations in zone 2 close to UCL (within 2.5 miles or 4 km) so you can travel to one of these stations without passing through zone 1.

-Morninton Crescent (or Camden Town, if you took a train to Morden via Bank then get off at Camden Town and either change for a trian to Kennington via Charing Cross to get off at Morninton Crescent or take a bus from Camden Town) then take the bus route 24 , 29 , or 134 to UCL, or walk to UCL if you like walking.

- Camden Road, then take the bus route 29 to UCL. (Alternatively if you come via west hampstead, you could change at west hampstead for the National rail to kentish town, then the northen line to Mornington Crescent or Camden Town. This may save you time BUT the National rail comes every half an hour, so check the timetable).

- Caledonian Road, then take the bus route 91 to Upper Woburn Place or Russell Square Station, or take the bus 91 to king's cross then take the bus route 10, 73 , or 390. depends on where your lecture is taking place. (You may wish to take the Overground from Caledonian Road and Barnsbury to Camden Road).

- St John's Wood, then take the bus route 13, 82, or 113 to Baker Street Station then take the bus route 18, 30, or 205 to Warren Street station (change for the bus route 24, 29 , or 134) or Euston Square Station (change for the bus route 10, 73, or 390) or Euston Station. (you may wish to change at west hamptead for the Overgroud to Camden Road or for the National rail to kentish town, then the northen line to Mornington Crescent or Camden Town. The second way is quicker BUT the National rail comes every half an hour, so check the timetable).

- Warwick Avenue, .then take the bus route 18 to Warren Street station (change for the bus route 24, 29, or 134) or Euston Square Station (change for the bus route 10, 73, or 390) or Euston Station.

-Royal Oak, then take the bus route 18 to Warren Street station (change for the bus route 24, 29, or 134) or Euston Square Station (change for the bus route 10, 73, or 390) or Euston Station.

Make sure you have enough pay as you go credit on your oyster in case the traffic is slow in zone 1, so you go to the nearest station and take the tube to UCL and don't miss the lecture. Also if you wake up late for some reason.

Thanks for this information :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by StephanieK_xx
Thank you soooo much!!!!

No problem! :smile:
Is the student oyster card worth it if I only take the bus to college??
Hello , what shall I do with the card if I change college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending