Yoyo94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I was advised by one of my friends at another university that I should apply for the student 18+ oyster photocard as soon as I can because it will make things more convenient for me, so I took his advice now that university is on the horizon and I'm attempting to register but I'm stuck where it asks for a "Student Enrolment (ID) Number".

I was wondering if that was our 8-digit Student Number that UCL quote when emailing us?

Or is the bit of information that TFL are requesting entirely different and only provided upon enrolment?

Thank you!
bittersweet16
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep that would be it.
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
(Original post by bittersweet16)
Yep that would be it.
Ah OK thank you so much!
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
We need to be fully enrolled before applying for the Oyster card. We only fully enrol on the 23rd, so when would I get the Oyster card provided that I applied for it on the 23rd? Can someone who has/had the 18+ Oyster card please tell me how long it took TfL to send the card after you applied, if you remember? Thank you!
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
Can anyone answer my second question above? Thanks.
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
Can anyone answer my second question on post #4? Thanks
username1230823
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it shouldn't take more than a week
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
(Original post by udunno)
it shouldn't take more than a week
OK thank you
StephanieK_xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry I'm a bit confused as I enrol on the 25th (History student). Does this mean I can only apply for my Oyster card after I enrol?
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
(Original post by StephanieK_xx)
Sorry I'm a bit confused as I enrol on the 25th (History student). Does this mean I can only apply for my Oyster card after I enrol?
Yes, that is correct What I'd do now is I would start off an application by pressing this link: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/sho...student#middle and by pressing on "Create web account".

Fill in all your details but do not send off your application. You can save it and continue your application at any time so don't worry, what you do now will not be lost or a waste of time.

When you are asked for your enrolment number, look for your enrolment/pre-enrolment email from UCL. Your enrolment number (student number) should be quoted on all these emails. It should be 8-digits long.

Upload your photo, etc.. (make sure it is a minimum of 300dpi) and then proceed to the confirmation step. Do NOT proceed to the payment page, otherwise your application will be rejected because you haven't yet enrolled.

So just create your online application, complete it, but do not pay or send it off. Once you enrol on the 25th, pay for your application as soon as you get home so it gets processed as soon as possible.

I'm just trying to save you time Good luck!
earthmother65
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yoyo, super helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
FelineCostumier
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can apply before you enroll, like student finance, it's not actioned until your uni confirms your attendance so just send it off and it's all done. Mine arrived just over a week after I enrolled, others arrived faster (much to my annoyance!).
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
(Original post by earthmother65)
Yoyo, super helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha thanks
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
(Original post by FelineCostumier)
You can apply before you enroll, like student finance, it's not actioned until your uni confirms your attendance so just send it off and it's all done. Mine arrived just over a week after I enrolled, others arrived faster (much to my annoyance!).
Hi, thank you so much for your answer. I'd rather not take the risk because I actually phoned up UCL and TfL to make sure. They both said that I had no option but to apply after I enrol. The TfL representative actually told me that the application will automatically be rejected and the £10 application fee will not be refunded if I applied before I have fully enrolled. I'd rather be safe than sorry! Thanks anyway
printergirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Yoyo94)
Hi, thank you so much for your answer. I'd rather not take the risk because I actually phoned up UCL and TfL to make sure. They both said that I had no option but to apply after I enrol. The TfL representative actually told me that the application will automatically be rejected and the £10 application fee will not be refunded if I applied before I have fully enrolled. I'd rather be safe than sorry! Thanks anyway
they took my £10 fee, how was i supposed to know...
i used the student id number they gave as my enrolment number btw
Yoyo94
Rep:
?
(Original post by printergirl)
they took my £10 fee, how was i supposed to know...
i used the student id number they gave as my enrolment number btw
Oh so you applied for an 18+ Oyster card? If so, did they reject your application?

I think it also said in their terms and conditions that the £10 will not be refunded if the application is rejected (if you apply before enrolment), but that's not fair. They should allow us to apply early, and as soon as they can confirm our attendance/enrolment with the university (the start date for the course has to be specified on the application so this should be straightforward), they should issue the oyster card. Not just a straight rejection.

Yeah, I was told by Undergraduate Admissions at UCL that the Student ID number that they send via email is the enrolment number.
Flowerii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Slightly different question - do you think the student oyster card is actually worth it? What made you decide to get one?
It's a lot of money for one year, even with the discount, but I can't help but think I'll end up underestimating how much I'll use the Tube . . .
Ah, decisions, decisions . . .
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flowerii)
Slightly different question - do you think the student oyster card is actually worth it? What made you decide to get one?
It's a lot of money for one year, even with the discount, but I can't help but think I'll end up underestimating how much I'll use the Tube . . .
Ah, decisions, decisions . . .
I commute to UCL by tube as I live at home, I come from zone 3 so it was definitely worth me getting one. Theres no harm in getting an 18+ oyster anyway, you can just use it for pay as you go if you use the tube or bus occasionally (which is pretty much the same as using a normal adult oyster). But if you travel the bus or tube frequently, it will definitely save you money on a travel card.
printergirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Yoyo94)
Oh so you applied for an 18+ Oyster card? If so, did they reject your application?

I think it also said in their terms and conditions that the £10 will not be refunded if the application is rejected (if you apply before enrolment), but that's not fair. They should allow us to apply early, and as soon as they can confirm our attendance/enrolment with the university (the start date for the course has to be specified on the application so this should be straightforward), they should issue the oyster card. Not just a straight rejection.

Yeah, I was told by Undergraduate Admissions at UCL that the Student ID number that they send via email is the enrolment number.
They've taken the payment already but it says they are still waiting for the uni to confirm, but I haven't enrolled yet. If I don't get the money back they should have made it clearer, I'll have to commute to UCL by tube and it'll be more expensive for me while I have to apply only when I get to ucl
zaima
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you not have a day when you went to enrol?

I had mine last week at LSBU, so that meant that I could apply for the oyster card. They gave me a student ID number than but they had been putting this on the emails they were sending me.

So you probably can apply with the student ID they have been using in your emails
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (703)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads