The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

why only a 2.2 when modules read 2.1 and 1sts

Hi please can someone help me understand this. I had 4 modules with my degree course. My results for the modules that carried 45 credits read as a 1st (75 marks), 2.1 (62 marks), the modules that carried 15 credits read as 1st (75 marks), 2.1 (68 marks) so how come I got an overall grade of 2.2? I'm devastated.
Reply 1
Original post by feelingsad
Hi please can someone help me understand this. I had 4 modules with my degree course. My results for the modules that carried 45 credits read as a 1st (75 marks), 2.1 (62 marks), the modules that carried 15 credits read as 1st (75 marks), 2.1 (68 marks) so how come I got an overall grade of 2.2? I'm devastated.

Are they from two different years? Results are often weighted (2nd year results 25%, 3rd year 75% for example) It might be that.
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Original post by Chulabomb
Are they from two different years? Results are often weighted (2nd year results 25%, 3rd year 75% for example) It might be that.

But he didn't get anything below a 2:1, so no weighting would give him a 2:2. Unless he means these are third year results only (sorry if that's what you meant).

OP, the only possibilities I can think of are;

1. Administration error.
2. You have modules missing. Is this possible? Could you have missed any exams? Four modules doesn't sound like much.
3. These are third year results only, and some of your second year modules counted.

You should contact your university / personal tutor ASAP, and find out, because the information you've given us cannot be right by itself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Octohedral
But he didn't get anything below a 2:1, so no weighting would give him a 2:2. Unless he means these are third year results only (sorry if that's what you meant).

OP, the only possibilities I can think of are;

1. Administration error.
2. You have modules missing. Is this possible? Could you have missed any exams? Four modules doesn't sound like much.
3. These are third year results only, and some of your second year modules counted.

You should contact your university / personal tutor ASAP, and find out, because the information you've given us cannot be right by itself.

I agree, I had four modules every year! Sounds like a weighting issue. The university should be able to provide a breakdown of how they reached your classification decision.
Reply 4
Did you get your full 360 credits to graduate. Did you get compensated ?? Middlesex 3rd year counts double of second year

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Reply 5
Original post by daindian
Did you get your full 360 credits to graduate. Did you get compensated ?? Middlesex 3rd year counts double of second year.depending on which year these results are for, it could be right. In order to get a 2:1 you need 4/8 modules over the two years with 2 from each at 2:1 and above.furthermore you are not allowed more than one module a year at a third class score .

Reply 6
Hi All

Thank you for your replies. I heard back from the uni last week that they have changed my grade as there was an issue with the marking scheme and all is okay. So a big thank you, I am feeling much better now that I have a 2:1. A note of caution, I was told that because my grammer was so poor I lost marks which potentially meant I missed out on a 1st! So make sure you get some one to proof read your work not just for spelling but for the way in which it is written!
Hi All

Thank you for your replies. I heard back from the uni last week that they have changed my grade as there was an issue with the marking scheme and all is okay. So a big thank you, I am feeling much better now that I have a 2:1. A note of caution, I was told that because my grammer was so poor I lost marks which potentially meant I missed out on a 1st! So make sure you get some one to proof read your work not just for spelling but for the way in which it is written!

Glad to hear it worked out. :smile:
Reply 8
can someone help! i received my module grades for my 3rd year but have not received what degree classification i have...and i don't know how to calculate it! pls help! :frown:
Reply 9
can someone help! i received my module grades for my 3rd year but have not received what degree classification i have...and i don't know how to calculate it! pls help!
Hi All

Wow that sucks still a 2.1 is great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending