The Student Room Group

A-level subjects for Architecture confusion :(

Hi everyone, I'm currently an A2 level student. I am planning to apply for Architecture at universities like UCL and Westminster. But I think my subjects are a bit messed up right now :frown:

So for AS I got:
- Fast-track Maths (A)
- AS Accounting (A)
- AS Art and Design (A)

Now, my college suddenly tells me that I shouldn't have chosen accounting and should have studied Physics instead. Since I'm A2 now they offer me to study Fast track Physics. BUT IT WILL BE HARD. I WON'T BE ABLE TO GET A OR B

I would like to do this for A2:
- AS Further Maths (Or maybe full further maths depends on the offers)
- A2 Accounting
- A2 Art and Design

The problem is, I am afraid that Accounting would be considered a 'blacklist' subject and wouldn't be competitive enough. I searched UCL's requirements and they said that Art is a must, and 2nd subject is preferably Maths (both of which I had)

So should I study Fast track Physics now, or continue with accounting and further maths?

Thank you ^^
Reply 1
Please help me :frown: I need to make this decision in two days time!
Original post by janedavolta
Please help me :frown: I need to make this decision in two days time!

I would say don't do physics, it would look bad to be predicted a C. As long as you show enthusiasm, I think they will over look accounting, and you'll be doing further maths so its good. Accounting will become your 4th subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by FlyHigh_er
I would say don't do physics, it would look bad to be predicted a C. As long as you show enthusiasm, I think they will over look accounting, and you'll be doing further maths so its good. Accounting will become your 4th subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice. Yeah, that is what I have also been thinking about. I suppose that an A in accounting would be much better. I tried to tell my college that portfollio is going to be the main main thing, but they keeps convincing me to learn physics :frown: I think I won't listen.
Original post by janedavolta
Thank you for your advice. Yeah, that is what I have also been thinking about. I suppose that an A in accounting would be much better. I tried to tell my college that portfollio is going to be the main main thing, but they keeps convincing me to learn physics :frown: I think I won't listen.

You don't necessarily nee physics. I haven't seen a uni that asks for it in order to get onto the course, fm will be fine. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need physics to get into architecture unless the uni explicitly states otherwise.

I can't claim to have encyclopaedic knowledge of architecture entry requirements, but as an example Manchester just says that a mix of arts and science subjects is preferred, which is fine because you do have that mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You've got the two important ones Art and Maths. You don't need to worry.

Quick Reply

Latest