University of Manchester
Manchester

Where can I park at uni?

Hey there
I've recently just got a car and i'm thinking to drive to uni
but I have no idea where I can park?
Can anyone let me know pleaseee
Reply 1
there's a chinese restaurant, called "Tai Pan", very close, in fact just a minutes walk to the uni on upper brook st, behind the Williamson Building. look for that as they have a carpark there. you could park there for an hour or two
(edited 10 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
It'll have to be off campus, meaning paying for commercial shopper or business car parks, or fighting for rare on-road spaces.

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/students/travel/index.php?area=cars

Only students with a disability or medical condition, or who are European Blue Badge Holders, will be able to apply for a car parking permit at the Manchester Campuses.

You might be able to argue that your only way of getting to uni is to drive yourself, which could get you a parking space at your Halls (depending on where you are). However, it looks like once there, the car won't be much use for getting anywhere else.
We understand that some students will require parking at Halls of Residence, for numerous reasons. A limited number of residential parking permits are available at Broomhurst Halls of Residences in Didsbury and Booth Hall Halls of Residence in Crewe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

i think that link is regarding MMU specifically and not UoM
one of the residential roads off the curry mile
Reply 5
-_-
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry to have to break this to you, but there's absolutely no point I'm bringing it to uni.

Even if you buy a parking space in halls (only available at Fallowfield and some Victoria Park halls), which will cost you something like £160 a year, there's nowhere to drive to anyway.

You can't park at uni unless you have a blue badge or want to pay extortionate NCP car park rates.

You're going to be living on the busiest bus route in Europe (Oxford / Wilmslow Road) where the buses come every minute and an unlimited bus pass for the whole year for the whole of Greater Manchester (any Stagecoach / Magic Bus) is £205. Everything else you ever want as a student (town centre, supermarkets, nightlife, second year houses) is on that same bus route.

Your car insurance is likely to go up when you update the address where you're keeping it with the insurance company.

I've known several people who have brought cars to uni, and very few of them have put any significant mileage on them. Indeed, the only one who really couldn't have done without it was playing sport at international level and had to travel to the east midlands every week for training. Indeed, one friend who had one in second year (and whose house came with a driveway) left it at home for third year stating that there was "no point" in bringing it to Manchester.

Honestly? Sell it and buy a bike. By far the quickest way to get around Manchester, with parking spaces directly outside every building, and relatively cheap to run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by pearls
Hey there
I've recently just got a car and i'm thinking to drive to uni
but I have no idea where I can park?
Can anyone let me know pleaseee

Where will you be living? Most people won't need a car. There are a couple of car parks in and around uni, but you'd have to pay. If there's a specific reason you need a car, then you can often get a heavy discount (sometimes even free)
Reply 8
Original post by treeoflife
i think that link is regarding MMU specifically and not UoM

Good point - thanks. Probably much the same general outcome at UoM I suspect. Unis in general are trying to up their green credentials by cutting both staff and student parking and pushing people onto public transport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending