What would you do in my situation?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Right now i'm currently doing Advanced Highers in Maths and History and an A Level in Physics. (if you havn't heard of advanced highers, they're basically the Scottish equivalent to a levels.)

I've been slacking off the whole year as i have unconditional offers from unis (Durham or Edinburgh for Law) based on my scottish higher results and don't really need grades this year.

I think i'm capable of getting AAA this year if i do a bit of work. At first it was fun slacking off but now i'm starting to feel like a worthless waste of space.

Do you think i should start working and try to do well in my exams?
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Stop showing off the fact that you have unconditional offers, nobody cares. This is such a ridiculous thread..
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you have unconditional offers from Durham and Edingurgh for Law, there isn't really any need to put in the effort, but you don't want to get out of the practice of working hard as a law degree will be very hard work, especially from unis like those two.
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It would look great on your CV to have AAA at A-Level/Advanced Higher, and you'd feel great about it too, I'd try for them!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
If you have unconditional offers from Durham and Edingurgh for Law, there isn't really any need to put in the effort.
Yes there is...

Your degree will count in good stead when applying for jobs or post-grad courses.

However, bad pre-uni grades might be the deciding factor between you getting a job/place on a course and the place going to someone else.....
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Stop showing off the fact that you have unconditional offers, nobody cares. This is such a ridiculous thread..
i'm not showing off, the reason i have unconditionals is becasue i've done scottish highers rather than AS levels and these are as hard as A2 Levels.
Mr Brightside
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
Right now i'm currently doing Advanced Highers in Maths and History and an A Level in Physics. (if you havn't heard of advanced highers, they're basically the Scottish equivalent to a levels.)

I've been slacking off the whole year as i have unconditional offers from unis (Durham or Edinburgh for Law) based on my scottish higher results and don't really need grades this year.

I think i'm capable of getting AAA this year if i do a bit of work. At first it was fun slacking off but now i'm starting to feel like a worthless waste of space.

Do you think i should start working and try to do well in my exams?
talk about blowing your own trumpet , lol.

Forget the work 'Relax, take it slow and let the good times roll'
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The point of good grades ISN'T just to get into a good university. Certainly that is part of it, but surely you want a good foundation before going to these institutions (bad grades may result in you finding it difficult at uni). Also, you'll feel good about yourself for years to come, and it will indeed be a credit to your CV. You've managed to do well all this time...just carry on now...only a short while to go so you might as well give it your all You'll also enjoy summer more after putting in all that effort.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i would do some work because if you dont the nyou are going to really struggle when you get to uni
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just do the work and get 3 A's! there only 3 months left, whats the point in slacking now? if not, in the summer you'll probably wish you put the work in if you give up. well done for getting unconditional offers, but after you're degree A Level results will be important so give them you're best shot!
Acaila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You might as well go for it as it's only 3 subjects to revise even if they are AHs. It will look good on your CV and you can be really proud in August . BTW what AHs are you doing and what did you get in your Highers?
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acaila)
You might as well go for it as it's only 3 subjects to revise even if they are AHs. It will look good on your CV and you can be really proud in August . BTW what AHs are you doing and what did you get in your Highers?
Adcanced Highers Maths and History and a Level Physics
I did higher maths, english, history, physics, computing and got As in all of them.
Acaila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cool, almost the same highers as me (I'm doing geography instead of history). How did you get to do an A-level?
coastal defence
Report 16 years ago
I have received unconditional offer from unconditional for accounting and finance and unconditional offer from Imperial college London Applied Management.I have not visited either of them (I live in Beijing).My teacher told me both are very famous but I cannot decide! Can anyone give me advice on this?
coastal defence
Report 16 years ago
How do you start a new thread?
++Hex++
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by coastal defence)
How do you start a new thread?
Click the 'New Thread' button at the top of a forum.
calamity jane
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I can't believe you got unconditionals from Durham and Edinburgh to do law!? My friend got AAA conditional from Durham and she did 6 As levles with AAAAAA and predicted AAA at A level history, sociology and english! And she did physics and maths at AS!When I told her that she was not happy!That is so unfair on english applicants!Just because you did five subjects at a level inbetween A level and AS level does not mean you are deserving of an unconditional offer.Even if you are from a working class background and done lots of sport and extra-ciricualar activities,it still isn't fair.Scottish pupils should be given the same treatment as English pupils!I understand that highers are a good way of differentiating the best from the very best but they should still be given conditional offers like everyone else.Can you justify this?Or am I right?
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
(Original post by calamity jane)
I can't believe you got unconditionals from Durham and Edinburgh to do law!? My friend got AAA conditional from Durham and she did 6 As levles with AAAAAA and predicted AAA at A level history, sociology and english! And she did physics and maths at AS!When I told her that she was not happy!That is so unfair on english applicants!Just because you did five subjects at a level inbetween A level and AS level does not mean you are deserving of an unconditional offer.Even if you are from a working class background and done lots of sport and extra-ciricualar activities,it still isn't fair.Scottish pupils should be given the same treatment as English pupils!I understand that highers are a good way of differentiating the best from the very best but they should still be given conditional offers like everyone else.Can you justify this?Or am I right?
yeah, ur right. It is unfair in this case. Although most of the time us scots get it harder. 5 Highers is more demanding that 4 As levels and usually we just get the same conditional offers as you but in advanced highers (which are a little bit more challenging than A2 levels).
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acaila)
Cool, almost the same highers as me (I'm doing geography instead of history). How did you get to do an A-level?
i got to do an a level because it's just what my school does. A level physics is easier than advanced higher physics and its considered as being as good so we just do that instead.

Advanced higher goes into calculus and hardcore stuff.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why are you working when you could be having a six month holiday ?

Bear in mind that you'll never get a chance to have this long a holiday again until after you retire.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads